Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Funny story about this. I remember Robbo being in complete ecstasy when the deal was coming close and was making sure everyone knew about it, but wouldn't give us a name of who it was. As the week progressed he blurted it that he was coming from Derby, was 6ft2 and was a proper defensive midfielder and it was an unbelievable coup for the club, despite a sizable fee being spent - myself and my colleagues had convinced ourselves we were signing George Thorne and joined KR in excitement. It gets to deadline day and I am sent to the training ground to pick up two of our new signings and take them over to the Kassam for pictures and media - I walk into Karl's office to see a young Asian lad who looked no older than 15 and then in hobbles another guy who is no taller than 5ft8. Confused, I make a joke asking where our new signings were and Robbo sheepishly looks to the floor.

It's fair to say that the car journey with Tsun Dai and Jamie Hanson was a very long half hour for me.

Hanson then gives away a penalty on debut the following Saturday, and we actually sign George Thorne less than a year later.
Did he really hobble in? Or is that journalistic licence?

As this is the Des Buckingham thread, what do we know about the man outside of football? Is he married? Kids? Where does he live? I read he has a pilots licence but aside of that not much else about him away from Oxford United. Not being nosey, just be interesting to know a bit more about him after 6 months in the job. We never got to know too much about Manning but seemed to know a lot more about Robinson outside of football.
The only other thing I know about is that he likes Kebab Kid on Cowley Road. He mentioned it in his Dub interview.

Not sure if that was the kind of fundamental character point you were after @dickwalton1964

Funny story about this. I remember Robbo being in complete ecstasy when the deal was coming close and was making sure everyone knew about it, but wouldn't give us a name of who it was. As the week progressed he blurted it that he was coming from Derby, was 6ft2 and was a proper defensive midfielder and it was an unbelievable coup for the club, despite a sizable fee being spent - myself and my colleagues had convinced ourselves we were signing George Thorne and joined KR in excitement. It gets to deadline day and I am sent to the training ground to pick up two of our new signings and take them over to the Kassam for pictures and media - I walk into Karl's office to see a young Asian lad who looked no older than 15 and then in hobbles another guy who is no taller than 5ft8. Confused, I make a joke asking where our new signings were and Robbo sheepishly looks to the floor.

It's fair to say that the car journey with Tsun Dai and Jamie Hanson was a very long half hour for me.

Hanson then gives away a penalty on debut the following Saturday, and we actually sign George Thorne less than a year later.

I clearly remember in one of his bizarre rambling post match interviews Robinson threw Hanson under a bus by saying he wasn’t his signing.

Regard less of whether he was or wasn’t, it was shockingly bad man management and totally unnecessary. In subsequent post match interviews Robinson would proudly claim that he always protected his players.

Karl Robinson bouncing around promising an amazing signing and then not delivering on it, I don’t believe you!

• React
Reactions: m
Absolutely spot on Chippy, it's going to take a change in the club's recruitment policy to get the right caliber of player through the door.
We have a belief as a fan base that we should have an attacking free flowing way of playing.
In an ideal world we could do that over 46 games.
It's not going to happen in a long hard league 1 season.
Your analysis is correct that we need those more robust and physical players that will allow us to mix it with the more physical sides.
Also as you stated, tactics and set up will need to change game to game.
I believe to have any chance of promotion from this league, the recruitment in the summer will be crucial in obtaining the right type of players .
Time and again we have learned playing in League One that the essential ingredient of getting out of it is to have robust players, playing aggressive but fair football on the front foot with the accent on attack and and doing it with pace and energy from the first kick to the last. When we play such teams we invariably come off second best. Unless we start to play every game in this fashion we will never get to the Championship let alone be competitive in it. How we recruit this Summer is crucial.

Time and again we have learned playing in League One that the essential ingredient of getting out of it is to have robust players, playing aggressive but fair football on the front foot with the accent on attack and and doing it with pace and energy from the first kick to the last. When we play such teams we invariably come off second best. Unless we start to play every game in this fashion we will never get to the Championship let alone be competitive in it. How we recruit this Summer is crucial.
you are making L1 sound like the conference where teams full of brick out-houses can bully their way out of the league. Or are you imagining a team full of mythical players who can defend, tackle back, and still go on mazy runs to score at the other end?

Ultimately it’s results that matter, that’s the most important stat. You can score plenty of goals, and have all the possession you want, but if the results don’t back up those stats it’s completely worthless.

We’ve not been good enough in many of the games Buckingham has overseen as manager, a few flash in the pan results. ie Charlton, Peterborough, and away at Pompey, but we lost at Fratton Park. We’ve done reasonably well against the fodder of League 1. We come up against anyone half decent, and we come across like Rabbits in headlights. We don’t seem to have a game plan at times, or be able to adjust tactically during matches, to try and defeats in to draws, or draws in to wins against the top half teams.

If we somehow fluke a playoff place, then I will be ecstatic, to even be in with a shout going in to the last game, is a bit of a miracle, because we’ve been pretty poor for the majority of the season. That shows you how bad League 1 is this season. It’s an opportunity missed!!

Next season will be tougher, and I’m not convinced the manager is good enough to achieve a top six finish.

It will definately be tough. Charlton ,Reading, One of Peterborough or Bolton ,Rotherham, maybe Birmingham, Huddersfield, Wrexham .But we should be up there hopefully. Is Des good enough only time will tell .We could still go up yet and you never know. Then Des will be the best .Football is crazy with Everton beating Liverpool last night.

Sometimes in football you have to just seize the moment, they don’t come around that often. It doesn’t really matter about the project or where the team are in terms of progression - every team is forever building, you won’t find a single manager who ever says ‘this team has reached it’s peak, we can’t get any better’ or a manager who has stopped looking at potential signings. I certainly don’t think a play off place can be celebrated from the roof tops if we make it and then return to the ‘it’s a project under a new manager’ excuse if we are beaten 6-0 on aggregate by Bolton. What’s the point if there’s always an excuse for failure?

Sometimes in football you have to just seize the moment, they don’t come around that often. It doesn’t really matter about the project or where the team are in terms of progression - every team is forever building, you won’t find a single manager who ever says ‘this team has reached it’s peak, we can’t get any better’ or a manager who has stopped looking at potential signings. I certainly don’t think a play off place can be celebrated from the roof tops if we make it and then return to the ‘it’s a project under a new manager’ excuse if we are beaten 6-0 on aggregate by Bolton. What’s the point if there’s always an excuse for failure?

Sometimes on internet fora you have to just cram as many cliches into a single post as you can. Regardless of how many times you've spouted the exact cliches before. Regardless also of how comically you contradict yourself.

What's the point? (we can agree on that)

Man U are so s**t, they almost lost to Sheffield United! They’re the saddest team in the PL

you are making L1 sound like the conference where teams full of brick out-houses can bully their way out of the league. Or are you imagining a team full of mythical players who can defend, tackle back, and still go on mazy runs to score at the other end?

Eh? I don't see why have "robust players, playing aggressive but fair football on the front foot with the accent on attack and and doing it with pace and energy from the first kick to the last." implies 'brick shithouses' who 'can bully'.

Appleton's teams played their way out of L2 while displaying all the attributes that @arthurturner listed. I took his post as a cry to get 'fit footballers with attitude' rather than players like odin & Rodruguez who don't turn up under pressure or McEachran who can't play regularly, etc.

Eh? I don't see why have "robust players, playing aggressive but fair football on the front foot with the accent on attack and and doing it with pace and energy from the first kick to the last." implies 'brick shithouses' who 'can bully'.

Appleton's teams played their way out of L2 while displaying all the attributes that @arthurturner listed. I took his post as a cry to get 'fit footballers with attitude' rather than players like odin & Rodruguez who don't turn up under pressure or McEachran who can't play regularly, etc.

It is a bit strange to assume that healthy, fit athletes can't be good footballers, its either an out of shape, maverick with health issues but a lovely touch or a roided up monster whose first touch doesn't stay in the county. I have a feeling that is a hangover from 5 years of our Karl, its ignoring the teams that regularly beat and came above Robinsons teams though, who were that combination of good, athletic footballers drilled into a well organised team.

Back
Top Bottom