Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I was also a big fan of smudger. I also used to love to watch Gray play.
One player that used to get a lot of abuse was Matt Murphy but I always thought it was harsh.
Murphy was a weird one, to begin with, I really didn't rate him, and thought he ran like he'd shat himself. The he came good.

Garry Smart, always one who seemed to be going backwards. Never scored but was mostly an ever present

Garry Smart, always one who seemed to be going backwards. Never scored but was mostly an ever present
Nearly scored away at Derby one year, but panicked and missed the ball completely as it came across.

You need players like Bennet in a league 1 squad? He is a 7/10 most games he plays and has that experience.
I would also say McEachran is a good player to have in our squad.

Players like Browne and Edwards are too injury prone and we need to get away from these types of players.

Long has shown he does a good job at CB at this level but as a right back isn’t up to it any more so this is an area we certainly need to strengthen in the summer along with centre midfield and up front.

The issue we have is that players are signed on 2-3 year deals these days because most players won’t sign for just a year any more so it can take a few windows to move these players on like we have seen with Seddon and Findlay.

Oh yeah, my only reservation about Bennett is how much we need to pay him - because before he came to us, he had been playing for more than a decade in the Championship and Premier League. But as long as his wage demands are reasonable (i.e. in line with being a rotation option for an upper League One club) then yes, extend him for a year.

I'm also fine with Sam Long as a backup defender who's maybe 4th choice CB and backup RB. But yes, a first choice right back is one of this summer's priorities. Alongside CM and forward, as you say, but also crucially keeper.

We gave Findlay a 4 year deal which is one of the more ludicrous decisions we've made over the past few years (and there's plenty of competition!)

Oh yeah, my only reservation about Bennett is how much we need to pay him - because before he came to us, he had been playing for more than a decade in the Championship and Premier League. But as long as his wage demands are reasonable (i.e. in line with being a rotation option for an upper League One club) then yes, extend him for a year.

I'm also fine with Sam Long as a backup defender who's maybe 4th choice CB and backup RB. But yes, a first choice right back is one of this summer's priorities. Alongside CM and forward, as you say, but also crucially keeper.

We gave Findlay a 4 year deal which is one of the more ludicrous decisions we've made over the past few years (and there's plenty of competition!)
Hanson getting a 3 year deal is on par with Findlay! Although we gave Findlay a 4 year deal and then let him carry on playing in America for a bit!

Zero comparison between the two players .

They both cost £400,000 and got given 4K a week 4 year deals and they are both unwanted here, difference being at least we can loan Findlay out to Kilmarnock for another two seasons to get a bit of money back, still two terrible, very expensive signings.

Why would leigh be available?? Another poor decision if he goes!!
Only time will tell , just don't think that Leigh fits Des system as well as other players may do and will be on a good wage .
Not saying he will go but if an offer came in wouldn't be surprised if he did.
That's why we have a manager, to make decisions and calls.

As this is the Des Buckingham thread, what do we know about the man outside of football? Is he married? Kids? Where does he live? I read he has a pilots licence but aside of that not much else about him away from Oxford United. Not being nosey, just be interesting to know a bit more about him after 6 months in the job. We never got to know too much about Manning but seemed to know a lot more about Robinson outside of football.

Back
Top Bottom