Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I hope we can get Goodwin in good shape over summer to have him ready to hit the ground running at the start of next season, and whilst it's right to bemoan the lack of Goodwin in this game, I think it's at least a little bit encouraging that the sort of player we're missing is someone we've brought into the building under Des.

I think Dale is a good example of what can happen when we get these signings right, which does give me hope for the summer ahead with the style of play becoming evident in the last few weeks.
I hope we can get Goodwin in good shape over summer to have him ready to hit the ground running at the start of next season, and whilst it's right to bemoan the lack of Goodwin in this game, I think it's at least a little bit encouraging that the sort of player we're missing is someone we've brought into the building under Des.

I think Dale is a good example of what can happen when we get these signings right, which does give me hope for the summer ahead with the style of play becoming evident in the last few weeks.
I don't think that there's anything encouraging about the Godwin signing .
At present it looks like burnt money .
Our most expensive signing for years and we are all hoping šŸ™.

Some interesting comments on here as always!ā€¦

Iā€™d say even if we end up 7th, given all the ups and downs this season, Des would finish on about Par, so whatever happens, he deserves a summer transfer window.

For the record Iā€™ve never wanted ā€œDes outā€, i think he knows what he is doing, is improving as a L1 Manager game by game and with some support in the summer he will eventually get us promoted. When that happens, although unlikely (bar a few), I hope the ā€œDes outā€ brigade will show some balls of their own, and eat some humble pie.

So if we lose against Exeter, and Lincoln win two games youā€™d sack him, but if Lincoln draw both games youā€™d keep him? Seems a pretty arbitrary line to draw.
And a good way to start throwing compensation around like confetti (not that that means never sack anyone but seriously?)

I was really concerned a couple of months ago that Buckingham was a poor appointment. But Iā€™ve seen enough in the last few weeks to show that I was wrong. Even if we make the playoffs, I donā€™t think weā€™ll make it. Weā€™re pretty good, but not good enough. Weā€™ll need 5-6 good standard L1 players in this summer. Shame that Goodwin is injured, but itā€™s not a concern. We had a forward join us in the 80ā€™s who was injured for quite a while. But once he got himself fit, John Aldridge did quite well for us.

I was really concerned a couple of months ago that Buckingham was a poor appointment. But Iā€™ve seen enough in the last few weeks to show that I was wrong. Even if we make the playoffs, I donā€™t think weā€™ll make it. Weā€™re pretty good, but not good enough. Weā€™ll need 5-6 good standard L1 players in this summer. Shame that Goodwin is injured, but itā€™s not a concern. We had a forward join us in the 80ā€™s who was injured for quite a while. But once he got himself fit, John Aldridge did quite well for us.

Thatā€™s about where I am too. These late season performances have got some of his detractors - me included - on side but that will only go so far if we make a sluggish start. The autos to 7th argument will soon rear its ugly head if we donā€™t hit the ground running on the back of the last two or three games of this season (depending what happens at Exeter).

I think there has been a pretty remarkable improvement, especially since the Bolton game. Our performances since then have been very good, even if we havenā€™t always got the result.

Excited to see the team Des can put together next year. Hopefully in the Championship šŸ¤ž

Last night showed us what we probably already knew, we are a good side but just donā€™t have that added bit of quality in the squad to bring off the bench to really push for a winning play off campaign.
Browne has lost a bit of his pace and we are bringing Bodin and Henry on when you are trying to win a game.
Performances have shown how Des likes to play and it can be very effective but he needs the summer to get rid of some of these players and bring in younger, fresher faces.

Thatā€™s childish though, whether we get top
six now depends on how other teams do.
Through our own failings, but yeah, our points total and performance is either what the board want, or it isnā€™t. I hope they are looking at their January outlay very closely indeed.

For me, the fact we are dependent on other teams failing suggests performance hasnā€™t been where it needs to be.

So that's now 1 win from 14 (fourteen) matches against the sides currently occupying the top half of this division?

Or, if you prefer, just 3 wins from 20 games against anyone outside the bottom 6?

Say what you want about individual games -referee decisions, fatigue, xG and the like - but the incredible lack of nous against well-drilled opponents (or, to be honest, those with any sort of backbone) is undeniable.

If we do lose Murphy I worry that, unless heā€™s replaced with someone else who can be the clear MOTM and by far the best player on the pitch every game, Desā€™ ā€˜styleā€™ might struggle - he relies on his wingers being on it and beating their man easily. All of our big wins (especially Peterborough) came from Murphy basically scoring and creating goals singlehandedly. Replace him with an average League One winger and we arenā€™t winning those like that.

Through our own failings, but yeah, our points total and performance is either what the board want, or it isnā€™t. I hope they are looking at their January outlay very closely indeed.

For me, the fact we are dependent on other teams failing suggests performance hasnā€™t been where it needs to be.
Yeah of course, I just meant that the judgement needed to be more nuanced than purely league position. Jury is really out for me but I expect heā€™ll be given the chance to do his thing over the summer

So that's now 1 win from 14 (fourteen) matches against the sides currently occupying the top half of this division?

Or, if you prefer, just 3 wins from 20 games against anyone outside the bottom 6?

Say what you want about individual games -referee decisions, fatigue, xG and the like - but the incredible lack of nous against well-drilled opponents (or, to be honest, those with any sort of backbone) is undeniable.

Out of interest, if you were in charge, what would you do with Buckingham? Would you back him, or sack him?

If we do lose Murphy I worry that, unless heā€™s replaced with someone else who can be the clear MOTM and by far the best player on the pitch every game, Desā€™ ā€˜styleā€™ might struggle - he relies on his wingers being on it and beating their man easily. All of our big wins (especially Peterborough) came from Murphy basically scoring and creating goals singlehandedly. Replace him with an average League One winger and we arenā€™t winning those like that.
I remember thinking exactly the same when we lost Paul Simpson..... then Joey (RIP) came along.

I've changed my opinion on the manager .
I hope he gets backed next season he is the right fit for the club and his processes and structure will hopefully be implemented with the right core of people around him .
I dont see any other top 6 club paying 400k for a unfit striker that failed a medical .However you evaluate the decision is wasteful and people should be held accountable .

Iā€™m not in the get him out lot, heā€™s seems to have found his feet a bit recently, and heā€™s here for a good while yet.
Although the last couple of games have been disappointing result wise.
It was the spell through January and after that done for us.
Makes me wonder if someone like Nigel Pearson. Could have seen us through those weeks and the past couple of games.
in the circumstances.

When was Aldridge unfit? Probably never. He was not injured when he joined us and scored in his second appearance, Bolton Good Friday in a five nil victory. As for doing "quite well" for us.... God help me. Ninety odd goals in 130 appearances.

When was Aldridge unfit? Probably never. He was not injured when he joined us and scored in his second appearance, Bolton Good Friday in a five nil victory. As for doing "quite well" for us.... God help me. Ninety odd goals in 130 appearances.
He was injured when he joined. Came on for his debut at Bristol Rovers as a sub.

Back
Top Bottom