Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Are you serious???? 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Do you really think the club will sack him with 3 or 4 games of the season to go? They might if we get whacked in all 2-3 games like we did at Bolton or when it’s not mathematically possible for us to reach the play-offs which I think was the aim/objective at the start of the season e.g. not promotion, but if anything is going to happen I think it’s likely to happen post season.

I think that’s what m is referring to, not whether he should go or not.

Last edited:
I personally think we’ll scrape 3 wins, get a draw in 1 and lose the rest, which will leave us on 70 pts and missing out on the play offs by a handful of points.

That’ll be enough to keep Des in a job and the club will start the rallying cry of ‘Get behind Des and the boys next season after a valiant attempt to make the play-offs narrowly fell short’ etc etc when it’s time to renew season tickets.

I’m not sure I’ll feel excited and motivated enough to stick my hand in my pocket. Especially with how tight money is at the moment.

Unless you're itk, how can you be so sure?

Given that we're safe in league 1, the results this season will be quickly forgotten once Des and the recruitment team show their plans for next season to the board.

Simple question: Was promotion to the Championship the aim for the owners this season?
I was wanting to ask this question all night at the forum and was politely waiting for the right time to ask this very question and then the time was up.

Every time Des is interviewed he is programmed to say that we'll fight for every point and we'll see where that puts us at the end of the season. I'm now convinced this is a season of 'keep some interest' going. However, the 'keep the interest' mode seems well and truly f*cked by the drop in non performance and the scale its been fudged in.

Please Oxford prove me wrong in the next few weeks.

COYY'S

I personally think we’ll scrape 3 wins, get a draw in 1 and lose the rest, which will leave us on 70 pts and missing out on the play offs by a handful of points.

That’ll be enough to keep Des in a job and the club will start the rallying cry of ‘Get behind Des and the boys next season after a valiant attempt to make the play-offs narrowly fell short’ etc etc when it’s time to renew season tickets.

I’m not sure I’ll feel excited and motivated enough to stick my hand in my pocket. Especially with how tight money is at the moment.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again hoping that OUFC officials read this forum.
After 20 odd years as a season ticket holder if the current management are in place come the start of next season 5 of us will not be renewing

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again hoping that OUFC officials read this forum.
After 20 odd years as a season ticket holder if the current management are in place come the start of next season 5 of us will not be renewing

I’m sorry but I just don’t get this kind of attitude. Fair play, if financially you cannot afford to renew or if other commitments mean that you will not get to enough games to
make it financially viable.
However, this ultimatum style “you’d best make a change, or else” attitude is something that I struggle to get on board with. Do you honestly think the club are going to take any notice of Joshua on an online forum?

Ultimately, you’ll either decide to support Oxford United FC or you won’t. If you do then great. If you don’t and it’s purely down to who the manager is, then I think that is more reflective of you and your other 4, rather than the club trying to show some loyalty and support to the man in charge. All about opinions I guess.

Yep; I think that’s exactly what will happen. A win at Port Vale proves nothing.

I’m sorry but I just don’t get this kind of attitude. Fair play, if financially you cannot afford to renew or if other commitments mean that you will not get to enough games to
make it financially viable.
However, this ultimatum style “you’d best make a change, or else” attitude is something that I struggle to get on board with. Do you honestly think the club are going to take any notice of Joshua on an online forum?

Ultimately, you’ll either decide to support Oxford United FC or you won’t. If you do then great. If you don’t and it’s purely down to who the manager is, then I think that is more reflective of you and your other 4, rather than the club trying to show some loyalty and support to the man in charge. All about opinions I guess.

Nearly every season a few people say they will not be renewing because of someone at the club, I would be interested to see if anyone ever does it for this actual reason or just because they can't afford it, they have lost interest, other commitments etc, seems unlikely.

I have seen on social media some old bloke claiming he he never goes to home games because he hates Kassam, seems extreme and makes me wonder if he just can't be bothered and that is an excuse (not that anyone needs one, its not compulsory).

Out of interest does anyone know how Des stacks up against the likes of Kemp, Rix, Talbot, Patterson etc ? In my opinion, the football is equally as dire, if not worse, but it would be interesting for direct comparisons. If, as I suspect, it’s no better then why are we not bracketing him in that infamous bunch ?

Yes 100% serious.

What evidence is there that he will be gone in 2-3 games if things don't improve?

What evidence is there that 'the panic button has been pressed'? What does the latter even mean?

I think I’ve misinterpreted it. I thought you were saying ‘based on what’ in regards to why would they even be considering the sack. No, I agree there is nothing that suggests they are about to sack him - yet.

this sounds about right. A slow painful death.
6 months before Robinson left everyone where I sit/stand was saying 'this only ends one way, its just about how long it takes'. Have to say I feel exactly the same about Des as much as I don't want to. There's the small 10% irrational part of me that looks at the remaining fixtures and goes ' lots of teams in bottom half next, few home games against contenders, its right how we want it to be'............then I listen to a new Des interview and that inevitable feeling of gloom and doom, and the memory of Marcus and Ruben wandering slowly about the Bolton pitch comes flooding back.

Stealing a wage.
How about you shut up and show some respect for a fellow human being? It might not be working out, and maybe it won't ever work out, but he's not 'stealing a wage'. He's probably doing his utmost to make this work. For whatever reason that obviously isn't working, but there's no justification for accusing him of stealing a wage. You are a nasty piece of work.

Edit: @dickwalton1964 - I'd like to apologise for the above post. I could have made my point without resorting to rudeness. I know there's a tendency towards 'anything goes' on internet forums, but I aspire to better than that. Clearly I don't always succeed, and your response was justified. I'm sure you're a decent bloke too and, after all, we're all Oxford fans. So... I'm sorry.
Yours sincerely, Foghorn

Last edited:
Out of interest does anyone know how Des stacks up against the likes of Kemp, Rix, Talbot, Patterson etc ? In my opinion, the football is equally as dire, if not worse, but it would be interesting for direct comparisons. If, as I suspect, it’s no better then why are we not bracketing him in that infamous bunch ?
This is nowhere near as bad as Kemp and Rix.
Under Kemp we were shipping 3, 4 and 5 goals on a regular basis!
Under Rix was awful with the added bonus of getting battered by Yeovil 6-1 and 4-0 at Southend.

Appleton lost 9 of his 1st 22 league games.
Buckingham has lost 8 in his 1st 22 league games.

So while you think he should be put in the same bracket as Kemp and Rix, he could be put in the same bracket as Appleton.

I think he will walk!! I don’t think he will allow himself to be sacked.

Purely because of his OUFC connection. He will say sorry it hasn’t worked out how he’d imagined, but in the best interests of the club and supporters and himself, it’s best we part ways.

A bit more dignity when resigning.

I think he will walk!! I don’t think he will allow himself to be sacked.

Purely because of his OUFC connection. He will say sorry it hasn’t worked out how he’d imagined, but in the best interests of the club and supporters and himself, it’s best we part ways.

A bit more dignity when resigning.
Would you just rip up a 3 year contract?

And he's not receiving the ball from the defence or deeper midfield to be able to influence the game.
I think this is a symptom of the way Des is trying to play.

Manning was more about getting the full backs high and wide, dragging the opposition midfield out of the middle to create space for Rodrigues (and McGuane, to a certain degree) to operate, and a lot of the emphasis was on them to drive our attacks, with the wide two of the front three playing quite narrow too.

Des on the other hand seems to be more about deploying the full backs in a deeper role, and using the slightly higher central midfielder (or midfielders when we've used a single pivot) to work the ball from the full backs/centre back/pivot to the respective wingers on each side - so Stevens/Moore, Rodrigues and Dale creating those triangles on the right, and Leigh/Brown, Rodrigues and Murphy attempting the same on the left. So perhaps the expectation of Rodrigues now is to do more work across the pitch, rather than up and down it?

I think the areas we try and build our attacks through has changed from central to wide, which somewhat negates the kind of impact we were seeing earlier in the season from RR and McGuane. This might also explain why we so often seem to let teams straight through the middle with such little resistance when we give the ball away trying to work those wide positions.

Back
Top Bottom