Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

is it possible that 'they' may have been coming in but before the contract was signed, they reached out to a player at the club and said "I'm thinking of taking the assistant manager role under Des" and the reply was met with enough concerns to worry whoever 'they' were?

it was a weird drawn out saga while rumours circled that players laughed at his early training sessions he hosted.

It genuinely could be Des is great but our players never gave him a chance but having players respond to you as a manager is a part of the managers tool bag. Either way, this has not worked. Timmy Mallet could have got 1point per game out of our 2nd placed team.
Or maybe met Tim (nice but dim) and thought. No Thanks!

Matete played a key part in promoted teams from this division the last two seasons. I’d suggest he possibly isn’t terrible and there’s other factors at play.
I would agree. As I said elsewhere he’s either injured or couldn’t give a toss about playing at OUFC, whatever that reason might be.
I can only base my judgement on what I’ve seen and from that I don’t want him anywhere near our side as poor as it is.

Just hate the short-termism in football. I'd give him until the end of the season at the very least, but appreciative I'm very much in the minority on that.

Obviously don't know what's going on behind closed doors, so you would hope that anyone making any kind of decision would have all the information regarding the player support (or lack thereof) for the manager. That's probably the most important factor at this stage, whether he has any authority over them.

Realistically we are still fundamentally a team that just avoided relegation last season with a good core of that same side in the team now. Brown, Moore, Long, Brannagan, McGuane, Bodin, Goodrham, Murphy, all in and around the squad - even if we did have a run at the start of the season and vastly outplayed our chance xG. And under Buckingham we've had terrible luck (and bloody stupid individual mistakes) with some of the goals we've given away and points we've dropped - whether or not they're due to coaching is of course debatable.

Last edited:
Ask the club and the same response comes back, "we don't need one". Blinkered, and dare I say, arrogant?
When Buckingham was appointed, Williams said:

'We had a very clearly defined set of criteria to ensure we found the right cultural fit for Oxford United.'

While Ferguson said:

'His approach to coaching and developing players is a perfect match for the vision we have for the club.'

I would absolutely love to know what culture and vision they have for the playing side, and what else they've done to implement it. They're talking like a Director of Football would, without understanding how they get there.

Last edited:
Just hate the short-termism in football. I'd give him until the end of the season at the very least, but appreciative I'm very much in the minority on that.

Obviously don't know what's going on behind closed doors, so you would hope that anyone making any kind of decision would have all the information regarding the player support (or lack thereof) for the manager. That's probably the most important factor at this stage, whether he has any authority over them.

Realistically we are still fundamentally a team that just avoided relegation last season with a good core of that same side in the team now. Brown, Moore, Long, Brannagan, McGuane, Bodin, Goodrham, Murphy, all in and around the squad - even if we did have a run at the start of the season and vastly outplayed our chance xG. And under Buckingham we've had terrible luck (and bloody stupid individual mistakes) with some of the goals we've given away and points we've dropped - whether or not they're due to coaching is of course debatable.
The problem there is, his replacement wouldn't have time to assess the squad and decide who to keep and who to replace in the summer.

It won’t be what a fair few on these boards want to hear, but I’d be very surprised if the board sacked Des before the end of the season. At this stage they won’t want to admit they’ve made any kind of mistake, whether that’s in appointing Des, or the lack of appropriate back room staff support they’ve failed to provide.

I think apathy amongst the support base will creep in between now and the end of the season. That not healthy for any football club.

I can understand why people think he should be sacked, but I still think he needs another window. If he has issues with players, he can get rid and bring in others. The new signings will be up to 100% fitness and there will be time to get his plans into action.

If there is no improvement by about 8 games in next season then yeah. p45 time

I can understand why people think he should be sacked, but I still think he needs another window. If he has issues with players, he can get rid and bring in others. The new signings will be up to 100% fitness and there will be time to get his plans into action.

If there is no improvement by about 8 games in next season then yeah. p45 time
No disrespect, everyone is entitled to their opinion but, if the club wait that long, there will be major difficulties in recruiting the right candidates and, the squad will be what it is at that juncture.
End of this season is the time to pull the trigger. With, a short list of candidates ready to hand.

I was very supportive of Buckingham until a couple of weeks ago. I'm working abroad a lot atm, so went to my first game in ages (Orient at home). Followed up by Cheltenham on Saturday. I was pretty horrified both times. These are very good L1 players, but they appear to be badly coached. No shape. No structure. Absolutely no sense that they are following any game plan. Rolling the ball around slowly in your own half and then playing long diagonals isn't going to get us anywhere. Pompey was obviously an outlier. These players can play, but they obviously aren't being managed properly. I really wanted Buckingham to work out, but it isn't happening. I was going to Port Vale on Saturday, but after watching that shambles on iPlayer (I'm abroad again this week) I frankly can't be bothered. I think he'll get until the end of the season. But unless there's a massive uptick in form, he'll go at the end of the season imo.

Failure to get a positive result against port vale (.a win ) then he should be gone first thing Sunday morning imo I'm prepared to give him Saturday see if he can get a tune from these players see if he has the balls to drop the ones that aren't performing to an acceptable standard

Let's see the proof will be in the pudding as they say

No disrespect, everyone is entitled to their opinion but, if the club wait that long, there will be major difficulties in recruiting the right candidates and, the squad will be what it is at that juncture.
End of this season is the time to pull the trigger. With, a short list of candidates ready to hand.

I know I am in the minority, and am possibly being overoptimistic, but his managerial career prior to coming here means that I still think there is a chance he will come good.

Anyway, it's not up to me, so it doesn't matter what I think 😂😂

I would agree. As I said elsewhere he’s either injured or couldn’t give a toss about playing at OUFC, whatever that reason might be.
I can only base my judgement on what I’ve seen and from that I don’t want him anywhere near our side as poor as it is.
The first time Matete came on as a sub, he gave 100% and look elite. In those 10 minutes he broke up play around 10 times, and drove forwards with the ball, looked a menace, and incredibly skilful with it. Then Des got hold of him 😢

Ruben Selles from Reading wouldn't be a bad choice if Buckingham is sacked any time soon. He's done a great job keeping them afloat and I thought they looked really good in both games against us. Their defence stood firm in their home game and restricted us to speculative efforts on goal rather than us carving them apart. They played with some real pace at ours and I thought caused us a lot of problems. Good manager who looks like he can set a side up at both ends of the pitch.

If he picks the same team on Saturday, then I will be concerned that he cannot see what’s happening in front of him, changes must be made in terms of team selection and playing style. I am concerned about Goodwin, to spend the amount of money he did and not select him to start a game baffles me, try 442 , try anything to break this run of poor performances

I know I am in the minority, and am possibly being overoptimistic, but his managerial career prior to coming here means that I still think there is a chance he will come good.

Anyway, it's not up to me, so it doesn't matter what I think 😂😂
We are all important in the grand scheme! - Never heard of the customer is always right?

For those asking for a director of football then right now I’m not sure there is a place for one while we have Faz working as football advisor which I’d imagine is a similar role.
Maybe it would be a good idea to get him more hands on and make him an official DoF?

As for Des, I agree with @BrockBuster that I hate clubs who hire and fire managers all the time and I prefer a manager who is in it for the whole project and develops the football side of the club all round such as the academy playing the same way as the first team, ensures every department of the football club are working as one. We had that with MApp and we also had that with Robinson until he lost his head and his personal life got in the way. Even Manning was showing signs of being in it for the long haul, unfortunately we didn’t realise what a snake he was.
I can see why the club went with Des when you take in the above factors but you have to be realistic and think, is Des going to bring success to the club long term and right now the signs are just not there.

A large part of it is down to the players and the disgraceful attitude of people like McGuane and Rodrigues who think they can just down tools when they don’t get what they want.
Unfortunately players get managers the sack and that is exactly what this group will do.

As good as McGuane and Rodrigues can be, I’d happily never see them in an Oxford shirt after the way they have been disrespectful to the club and the fans.

If a new man is to come in then I can see it being costly as I think we are now at a stage where we need to clear the decks completely when it comes to staffing and let the new manager bring in whoever he wants.

Backroom staff don’t usually have long contracts and are either on a rolling deal or season to season so it is easier to move them on.

He does not have a clue, change the team starting with the keeper and let’s see.

He will have a time to sort it before the end of the season, after this he is history.

It is all so desperate, we have just got worst ,the highest team we have beat since Des turned up is 14TH .Now Vale havnt won in ages so we know what's coming dont we. But we've been asked to keep supporting the team and that's what we will do .

Back
Top Bottom