Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

We will be put up for sale. hard to see any takers though so that will probably be that. But the club can't be run thinking like that, what if its granted? Real chance Buckingham could get us relegated next season as he is clueless when it comes to the defensive side of football at this level, only Carlisle have conceded more than us in his time here and they are a rock bottom league one team.

The other thing is, if we were to give him time, is he really a man who can build a promotion winning team in what will be a pretty strong L1 next season ?

I don't think you can blame the Board for appointing him. He obviously interviewed very well, he's really well regarded as a coach in the City Football Group (I can't stand them, but they do employ the highest rated coaching 'talent'). But he's obviously really struggled to step up. That's why lots of well- regarded coaches don't make good managers. It doesn't matter that he had a 'different' background. Imagine the uproar on here if we had appointed the Lincoln manager- a Leeds u23 coach with a background in Futsal. Where you can blame the Board is their hesitation in firing KR and missing out on Mousinho. Afraid I can't see Buckingham lasting now- I can't see him being trusted with a big summer budget. There's an old business saying- it's not the mis-hire that's the problem, but the problem is not sorting out the mis-hire. The Board will need to act in weeks. not months. All very disappointing.

Maybe our mistake was just assuming all City group aspiring managers are going to be similar. Don’t think we will be going there again as they clearly aren’t.

It’s all about respect, Mous had it.
And we played for him at Portsmouth.

The seasons over, even if by some MIRACLE, we managed to sneak the playoffs and go up, we’d be cannon fodder in the Championship, and would come straight back down, having done more harm than good.

We’re a complete mess on the pitch.

Give the job to Craig Short for the rest of the season, and let him steady the ship, again.

At least we showed spirit, togetherness and camaraderie under Short, and we could at least salvage a bit of positivity going into the summer, ready for a new manager, back room team, and a new squad.

But Des needs to go now, he’s an amateur apprentice, at best.
Isn't Short part of the problem?
Under him we won but nearly blew a 3 goal lead. Really not sure that would be a good choice.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying 2nd was a false position, we were overperforming. But I think the above shows that isn't strictly true. We overperformed in 1 stat - shots to goals.
Manning had us very solid, very pragmatic, but we'd always have chances and a general control over the game. (Despite a few games we'd be too defensive, too early - I think Blackpool at home being the main example).

It's certain that we're now dreadfully underperforming. The players that had us 2nd haven't suddenly become rubbish, but it seems they have as much of an idea of how they're set up as I do - bloody clueless.

Wins against the top half of L1 this season, by manager:

Liam Manning - 6 from 7.
Craig Short - 1 from 1.
Des Buckingham - 0 from 12.

As you say, don't think the quality of player is the issue here...

It’s all about respect, Mous had it.
And we played for him at Portsmouth.

Exactly that. I think it's difficult for Des command that respect from professionals with no professional career as a player and only age group and obscure league experience as a manager.

Senior management have handled everything appallingly on the footballing side since the start of last season. They allowed the insanity of Robinson to continue beyond the Summer of 2022. They did OK in appointing his replacement and the team he wanted around him, but then dropped a massive bollock by allowing him to walk away when the first club to flutter their eyelids flirted with him.

They then took a gamble on an inexperienced coach in Buckingham and then FAILED to back him with a team around him and experience to support him as he inevitably needed to learn on the job.

And just who is the sergeant major required to manage player discipline, which is clearly completely lacking.

Des is looking for all the world like the nice supply teacher and the whole class is taking the P**s, whilst the headteacher drools over plans for the new sports hall.

Last edited:
Isn't Short part of the problem?
Under him we won but nearly blew a 3 goal lead. Really not sure that would be a good choice.

Well he would be no worse than Buckingham. I don’t think anyone is suggesting Short the job as anything more than a caretaker while we appoint a new manager though? He is not a reason to keep Buckingham and if that’s the best reason to keep Buckingham then that just shows how truly terrible he has been.

Senior management have handled everything appallingly on the footballing side since the start of last season. They allowed the insanity of Robinson to continue beyond the Summer of 2022. They did OK in appointing his replacement and the team he wanted around him, but then dropped a massive bollock by allowing him to walk away when the first club to flutter their eyelids flirted with him.

They then took a gamble on an inexperienced coach in Buckingham and then FAILED to back him with a team around him and experience to support him as he inevitably needed to learn on the job.

And just who is making the sergeant major required to manage player disciple, which is clearly completely lacking.

Des is looking for all the world like the nice supply teacher and the whole class is taking the P**s, whilst the headteacher drools over plans for the new sports hall.
Great last paragraph

I have supported Buckingham since his appointment but last night was the turning point. He is a man lost and clueless. He has no idea how to control that class and his lesson plans have proved to be a shambles. The kids are bored and disinterested, and now want a ‘proper’ teacher again.

Great last paragraph

I have supported Buckingham since his appointment but last night was the turning point. He is a man lost and clueless. He has no idea how to control that class and his lesson plans have proved to be a shambles. The kids are bored and disinterested, and now want a ‘proper’ teacher again.
The "kids" need putting in their place. Detention for all those that think it's clever to P**s the new teacher about.

A bit of respect would not go amiss and for the kids to realise they do not rule the roost.

The new teacher needs support and just because the class are pissing about, does not automatically make him a bad teacher!

He needs to be sacked right. Fans confidence with the club is very low. Can see a very low uptake in season tickets next season if this carries on

A lot of people said Des shouldn't be judged till after he had a transfer window. Well he has, so let's analyse it:

Goodwin - signed for £400k and has played a grand total of 181 minutes
Matete - played 253 minutes and when he has played has looked average, despite being highly rated at his previous clubs
Bennett - barely plays
Edwards - still injured
Burey - fallen out with him, doesn't play
Cumming - had his moments, but largely unconvincing
Dale - looks okay

As far as first transfer windows go, it's pretty dire.

How much would it cost Oxford to sack him including losing out on promotion and supporters?
Cost of paying up his contract and the expense of paying Mumbai.
The employment of a striker for £400K whom has hardly played. What of Burey?

A lot of people said Des shouldn't be judged till after he had a transfer window. Well he has, so let's analyse it:

Goodwin - signed for £400k and has played a grand total of 181 minutes
Matete - played 253 minutes and when he has played has looked average, despite being highly rated at his previous clubs
Bennett - barely plays
Edwards - still injured
Burey - fallen out with him, doesn't play
Cumming - had his moments, but largely unconvincing
Dale - looks okay

As far as first transfer windows go, it's pretty dire.
Yet the majority of people scored the window quite highly out of 10🤔

The "kids" need putting in their place. Detention for all those that think it's clever to P**s the new teacher about.

A bit of respect would not go amiss and for the kids to realise they do not rule the roost.

The new teacher needs support and just because the class are pissing about, does not automatically make him a bad teacher!

No, but he needs to go to a new school and start afresh, we all had supply teachers who were never going to get that back at the school where it went wrong.

It happens in jobs, I had a boss who got treated like s**t and it all went wrong, took ages to get rid and it just kept getting worse. I saw him a year later and he had a new job and looked a completely different man, the hang dog expression and drooped shoulders had gone. The boss who replaced him came in, got rid of the trouble makers and the department improved.

I think we are now in the territory of it being better for everyone, Buckingham gets out before this damages him to much, we get a new man in who can clear out some of the troublemakers and put his stamp in it early ready for next season.

Can’t see Des being sacked next week if we win on Saturday. If we win on Saturday, we probably only need four more wins to make the play-offs. Make the play offs and he isn’t sacked in the summer. Really if he manages that, he will have proven quite a few people wrong, and will be given a transfer window and a few more months.

So the end is not necessarily nigh.

Back
Top Bottom