Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Anyone watching the build-up to the Leicester v Leeds game tonight? They are discussing Leicester’s style of play - the fans are quite frustrated at the lack of urgency to get forward (sound familiar?) Apparently the idea is to draw the opposition in by playing a possession game at the back and then hit the wingers quick.

Low and behold, Leicester’s manager was Pep’s right hand man at Man City last season.

I think I’ve just had a lightbulb moment as to what Des is attempting to do here.

We’ve bought in to the Man City Group’s (The gospel according to Pep) style of play
That’s fine and everything if you know how to scale it down for L1 players to play against other L1 teams. It’s not an exact science and this should be where an assistant with the right CV would add tremendous value.

That’s fine and everything if you know how to scale it down for L1 players to play against other L1 teams. It’s not an exact science and this should be where an assistant with the right CV would add tremendous value.
Didn’t we say the same when MApp arrived? He needed time to adapt his ideas for lower league players. The only issue I have with that is it can’t be said that Des has managed at a higher standard. Maybe it’s the opposite - he has to adapt to a quicker game than he has been used to?

Given LT has been at the club since the start of the month and that before he arrived there was a period of nearly two months where nobody permanent was filling the role, I’m not sure I share your enthusiasm that this is a sign of much-needed investment and intent.

If anything, it makes me wonder why they’ve decided to put it out there weeks after the event and whether some people are merely desperate to appear in control.
He was also ready to join before Christmas as his role at Wales had finished but feet were dragged at senior level so Des was made to make do, we probably played 7 or 8 games he could have been involved in as well as being around the place on a daily basis.

In isolation it's good he's here now and he's definitely a Des member of staff having worked with him for years but the bigger picture of taking 6 weeks to sign someone who wanted to be here and was available during a manic run of fixtures and injuries stinks. It's no wonder Des looks so tired.

I think most of where we are going is ok except I keep remembering that a good dollop of this team played us into the relegation zone with a little help from a dysfunctional backroom : Brannagan; Moore; Brown; Long; McGuane; Negru; Smyth; Goodrham; mention in dispatches Browne; Murphy; so anything we achieve this year is an absolute amazing bonus!

Apparently the idea is to draw the opposition in by playing a possession game at the back and then hit the wingers quick.
But we’re doing more of the lower league version at the moment: “Fanny around at the back and then lump it forward”.

I don’t know if sacking Des is the right answer, but the players are clearly
Not bought into what he wants. A very poor effort and poor body language from them today. Something is wrong and needs solving.

I have criticised his appointment from day one and been criticised for doing so.
Mystifyingly he was appointed by a League 1 club with absolutely no EFL or equivalent experience, just with really crap Indian and NZ teams at non league level for this country.
And guess what, he has shown he has completely out of his depth.

Whrn he was appointed when we were 2nd in the league and looking very good for at least the play offs and he has taken us towards going out of the play offs and season over.

A massive disappointment. I called for his replacement a few games ago when we still had a chance of the players but the club supported by some on here has persisted with him.

And then there is the massive dent in the club’s finances that will now result.

It's a result business, he came we were in a great position. We know we then had injuries but we still had alot of quality what we didn't have was a battling quality or a game plan .I can't remember any game we have out played the opposition, today was a classic. When we went there we totally dominated them they scored 2 at the end of the game. Today we were totally out played .I said we would get 1 point from the next 4 games ,1 game down. 3 to go .

Sacking him is simply not going to happen , whatever individuals might feel.

This is a management team which wouldn’t sack KR when we were nearly getting relegated, so they’re not going to sack Des as we drift from the play-off to (probably) a midtable finish.

Well, yeah, because it's pretty much ridiculous to criticise it from day one, isn't it.
Not at all, when nonsensically somebody with absolutely no EFL or relevant experience is appointed by a third tier club it is obvious what is going to happen. The club might as well have appointed me.

Last edited:
I'm not a Des fan but I'd say that's probably the best performance by a Des team I've seen.

If we'd have won, the general feeling would be positive from many on here.

Murphy looked good, Brannagan at his best and Long played well.

Overall we weren't troubled by Northampton. If a couple of those chances go in, it would feel better.

Again, Des isn't for me personally. I don't see him as a promotion manager. Maybe he can learn and develop in the English game?

Please read the above as balanced. I'm not saying he's rubbish. I'm saying he's not a promotion manager 'yet'.
I'm not happy tonight.

That was a cracking eleven and an excellent bench.

Post Match interview question: "Do you a plan or style?"

Des: "Yes, I've changed it two or three times in the last two games"

😂

Back
Top Bottom