Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I don’t think anyone expected Mous to leave so soon. He may have been pencilled in to take over but took that option out of our hands.
Fron what Purkiss said on the Dub he'd been wanting more responsibility but not been allowed anything by Robinson. He'd done well when taking charge of games when Robinson was suspended and we had our best performance of the season under him.

I suspect a competent board would have an idea of his mindset and what he wanted, even before he got the Pompey job most on here we unanimous that he's an impressive guy and they'd have been around him a lot more but my faith is so low in those running things that it's entirely possible they missed this, especially as Tim still seemed to be in thrall of Robinson until the very end.

A huge missed opportunity and as @Osei Yaw said there's no hindsight there, plenty of people wanted Robinson out earlier knowing Mous could take the reigns, even if only as a caretaker at first to give him a chance to prove himself.

Fron what Purkiss said on the Dub he'd been wanting more responsibility but not been allowed anything by Robinson. He'd done well when taking charge of games when Robinson was suspended and we had our best performance of the season under him.

I suspect a competent board would have an idea of his mindset and what he wanted, even before he got the Pompey job most on here we unanimous that he's an impressive guy and they'd have been around him a lot more but my faith is so low in those running things that it's entirely possible they missed this, especially as Tim still seemed to be in thrall of Robinson until the very end.

A huge missed opportunity and as @Osei Yaw said there's no hindsight there, plenty of people wanted Robinson out earlier knowing Mous could take the reigns, even if only as a caretaker at first to give him a chance to prove himself.
I think this is certainly true, but also that no one would have predicted him getting the Pompey job as soon as he did.

I think this is certainly true, but also that no one would have predicted him getting the Pompey job as soon as he did.

He’s a very personable and likeable character though. I was surprised a club like Pompey plumped from him as it was moving well away from the types they’d previously appointed. I did think he’d bag a job in the EFL sooner rather later, I think his role with the PFA would also have held him good stead and to a lot of owners/chairman he’d have been a name they were familiar with and not quite the unknown from the back room of a fellow L1 club it might have looked on the surface.

He was factually better than Des.
I think there is a part of Liam Manning deep down who will kick himself for jumping ship when he did.

There is no doubt in my mind that his performance to get us into 2nd was excellent. With January reinforcements, promotion was definitely on. He was the right fit at the right time for OUFC.

In hindsight, I am gutted he jumped ship too.

I think there is a part of Liam Manning deep down who will kick himself for jumping ship when he did.

There is no doubt in my mind that his performance to get us into 2nd was excellent. With January reinforcements, promotion was definitely on. He was the right fit at the right time for OUFC.

In hindsight, I am gutted he jumped ship too.
I'm sure that Manning doubling/tripling his salary is going some way to easing his anguish.....

I'm sure that Manning doubling/tripling his salary is going some way to easing his anguish.....

Agree. Football managers obviously want to enhance their CV’s but, like the rest of us, nothing is more important than your livelihood. He will sleep pretty contentedly about the decision he made.

Agree. Football managers obviously want to enhance their CV’s but, like the rest of us, nothing is more important than your livelihood. He will sleep pretty contentedly about the decision he made.
A sad reflection on the capitalist society right there. Nothing matters more than making more and more money .
Pride , friendship, being loyal all throwaway things as long as you are making money for yourself.

A sad reflection on the capitalist society right there. Nothing matters more than making more and more money .
Pride , friendship, being loyal all throwaway things as long as you are making money for yourself.
Football is the epitomy of that. It is a very short term livelihood, so you make as much as you can for as long as you can. There is no loyalty in football. . . why on earth would you pass up the opportunity to earn significantly more in he full knowledge that your career could be over in the blink of an eye?

• React
Reactions: QR

What’s wrong with wanting to provide the best life you can for your family? I think you have a point if the difference in salary was relatively small but triple, if not quadruple?

An example in football is Ady Boothroyd. Journeyman player and coach, he came on the scene at Watford in the championship and despite scepticism from the fans he got them into the PL at the first attempt - and stayed there for a season or two. Eventually got sacked and three or four years later he’d gone from the PL to getting the sack at Northampton, via Colchester and a few months at Coventry. Managerial career in the gutter. OK, he’s since reinvented himself at different levels in the England set up but it shows how quickly a manager can disappear off the club scene, there’s only ever 92 jobs available and I don’t blame ANY manager for grabbing a better opportunity when it arises.

Fail to win today, and Lincoln get a win, we are up s**t creek.

A massive opportunity missed!! It’s last chance saloon.

Des will have to clear his desk at the end of the season or sooner, and then TW and GF will have to admit to making a mistake. Keeping Des into next season will be suicide!

Football is the epitomy of that. It is a very short term livelihood, so you make as much as you can for as long as you can. There is no loyalty in football. . . why on earth would you pass up the opportunity to earn significantly more in he full knowledge that your career could be over in the blink of an eye?
As a Manager , being successful and actually building something special is slightly different to a player in that respect.
Manning could and should have achieved something tangible with us then yes move on.
He was hardly on the bloody breadline with us and only money , more than enough very often , matters .
A sickness in society when we only care about the pursuit of money.

@le
Fail to win today, and Lincoln get a win, we are up s**t creek.

A massive opportunity missed!! It’s last chance saloon.

Des will have to clear his desk at the end of the season or sooner, and then TW and GF will have to admit to making a mistake. Keeping Des into next season will be suicide!
@Leysboy seems very excited at the prospect

What’s wrong with wanting to provide the best life you can for your family? I think you have a point if the difference in salary was relatively small but triple, if not quadruple?
He was hardly on benefits with us or unable to live a very decent life, with some loyalty and success could have still got the even bigger bucks in the future.
Just find it sad that all we are concerned about is ourselves and how much we have tbh.
Nothing wrong with looking after his family but he was already.

An example in football is Ady Boothroyd. Journeyman player and coach, he came on the scene at Watford in the championship and despite scepticism from the fans he got them into the PL at the first attempt - and stayed there for a season or two. Eventually got sacked and three or four years later he’d gone from the PL to getting the sack at Northampton, via Colchester and a few months at Coventry. Managerial career in the gutter. OK, he’s since reinvented himself at different levels in the England set up but it shows how quickly a manager can disappear off the club scene, there’s only ever 92 jobs available and I don’t blame ANY manager for grabbing a better opportunity when it arises.
He wasn't obviously that great then . But to counter the poor old Ady he would have made plenty during that time and was he thankful to the Clubs that gave him the money to achieve what he did ?
Now still on a good wedge doing a dream job for the overwhelming majority of people.
I do think legacy is something and if everyone just jumps for money at the first sniff then what do standards being preached actually mean or matter.

He was hardly on benefits with us or unable to live a very decent life, with some loyalty and success could have still got the even bigger bucks in the future.
Just find it sad that all we are concerned about is ourselves and how much we have tbh.
Nothing wrong with looking after his family but he was already.
It’s not just the immediate gain from the Championship move, it’s a step closer to the Premier League.

If I got offered double my salary for a comparable role at a stable employer with no worse a commute, it’d be a no brainer. If it was the case that if I performed well in that role, I could potentially treble that salary in my next role, it’d certainly be a struggle to get motivated for ten times less.

The timing was rubbish for everyone and he could have waited, but he’ll have known from MK how quickly you can go from Championship interest to sacked in L1.

It’s not just the immediate gain from the Championship move, it’s a step closer to the Premier League.

If I got offered double my salary for a comparable role at a stable employer with no worse a commute, it’d be a no brainer. If it was the case that if I performed well in that role, I could potentially treble that salary in my next role, it’d certainly be a struggle to get motivated for ten times less.

The timing was rubbish for everyone and he could have waited, but he’ll have known from MK how quickly you can go from Championship interest to sacked in L1.
So is money the only motivation for everyone?
Loyalty, building something special, setting standards which you basically just don't live up to in reality .
All I'm hearing is money, money , money .
Is that all that matters now ?

So is money the only motivation for everyone?
Loyalty, building something special, setting standards which you basically just don't live up to in reality .
All I'm hearing is money, money , money .
Is that all that matters now ?
I get where you're coming from, but for someone young, ambitious in a notoriously short term, disloyal industry, you grasp it when it arises....you may not get a second chance.

Appleton was no different when the chance to be assistant manager with a Prem club came his way. And maybe the reason he stuck at Oxford for as long as he did was because he'd had his fingers burnt in the past with the likes of Pompey, so he opted for the stability of the OUFC job for longer than he might otherwise.
Of course we all know how it ended at Leicester (but he did pretty well out of it by all accounts), and he's now back to trying to find the right fit club for him at or below our level.

It might not workout for Manning at Bristol City (not even sure what their success criteria are as a perennial "not quite good enough" club) but his bank account will sure as hell look better for it and it all adds to the CV.

Back
Top Bottom