Championship Championship Relegation Battle

This thread should also focus on the goings on in League 2 as well, since they’ll make up League 1 for the 2024-25 season.

Stockport and Wrexham (joy) have been promoted. Mansfield only need one point and an avoidance of a colossal goal swing in their three remaining games to be promoted.

Playoffs are fascinating. MK Dons and Crewe will in in them but the remaining two places are anyone’s guess. Barrow are in sixth and have four games left to play but have lost three in a row. Doncaster have come from nowhere under McCann and have won eight in a row. It’s an almighty scramble where even a team as low as 13th in Bradford may well be thinking they have an outside chance of making them.

Going by the last few seasons one of those teams who come up will be terrible, although perhaps not as terrible as Forest Green who have followed it up with back to back relegations. Can’t see that being Stockport and you know Wrexham will spend big so it will be one of the other two.

Yeah, no more northern teams needed!

From league 2 , Stockport and Wrexham have come up which are both north from here. Mansfield in pole position to take the final automatic place and then the lottery of the play offs. Doncaster are 8th and only 1 point outside the play offs but have won their last 6 league games. If I was a betting man I would say they will be in with a real shout to come up.

Could have 7 northern teams joining and only 4 leaving if we win the play offs. 😜

From league 2 , Stockport and Wrexham have come up which are both north from here. Mansfield in pole position to take the final automatic place and then the lottery of the play offs. Doncaster are 8th and only 1 point outside the play offs but have won their last 6 league games. If I was a betting man I would say they will be in with a real shout to come up.

Could have 7 northern teams joining and only 4 leaving if we win the play offs. 😜

That said, the championship is effectively the Northern Premier League!

It's not as bad as it used to be though.

Plymouth
Southampton
Watford
QPR
Millwall
Swansea
Cardiff
Bristol city
Norwich
Luton (if they get relegated from the premier)
Pompey
Coventry , West Brom and Birmingham not really north either.
I'd certainly rather go to any of them than (potentially) Barrow

Going by the last few seasons one of those teams who come up will be terrible, although perhaps not as terrible as Forest Green who have followed it up with back to back relegations. Can’t see that being Stockport and you know Wrexham will spend big so it will be one of the other two.

I doubt it'll be Mansfield either considering they have a good budget as well.

Following Sheffield Weds win at Blackburn:

2 games to go

17. Stoke 50pts
18. QPR 50pts
19. Blackburn 49pts
20. Plymouth 48pts
21. Sheff Weds 47pts
----------------------
22. Birmingham 46pts
23. Huddersfield 44pts

2 games to go

17. Stoke 50pts
18. QPR 50pts
19. Blackburn 49pts
20. Plymouth 48pts
21. Sheff Weds 47pts
----------------------
22. Birmingham 46pts
23. Huddersfield 44pts

Huddersfield at home to Birmingham next Saturday in a game that will obviously have a massive impact on who goes down.

2 games to go

17. Stoke 50pts
18. QPR 50pts
19. Blackburn 49pts
20. Plymouth 48pts
21. Sheff Weds 47pts
----------------------
22. Birmingham 46pts
23. Huddersfield 44pts
Huddersfield v Brum massive - Huddersfield must win or down

Hope Doncaster make it, nice ground, great friendly supporters who made us very welcome the last time we went.

Hope Doncaster make it, nice ground, great friendly supporters who made us very welcome the last time we went.

After 35 games, Doncaster were 21st with only four teams below them.

Win by two goals or more in midweek and after 45 games they’ll only have four teams above them.

It’s an astonishing turnaround and perhaps testament to sticking with a manager. Grant McCann (linked with us and perhaps once the preferred choice ahead of Manning) has worked wonders in the last few weeks.

All down to the last game and some tricky fixtures.
Huddersfield are practically gone due to their goal difference and I can't see them tonking Ipswich at Portman Rd to get above Plymouth.

19. Blackburn 50pts -16GD (Leicester a)
20. Sheff Weds 50pts -26GD (Sunderland a)
21.Plymouth 48pts -12GD (Hull H)
----------------------
22. Birmingham 47pts -16GD (Norwich H)
23. Huddersfield 45pts -27GD (Ipswich a)

All down to the last game and some tricky fixtures.
Huddersfield are practically gone due to their goal difference and I can't see them tonking Ipswich at Portman Rd to get above Plymouth.

19. Blackburn 50pts -16GD (Leicester a)
20. Sheff Weds 50pts -26GD (Sunderland a)
21.Plymouth 48pts -12GD (Hull H)
----------------------
22. Birmingham 47pts -16GD (Norwich H)
23. Huddersfield 45pts -27GD (Ipswich a)
So basically Birmingham need to beat Norwich, who still need a point to be absolutely sure of a playoff place. Tough.

Would thoroughly serve them right for the Eustace/Rooney decision.....although I reckon they would be really tough opponents in League One. They've got new money, and would seem very likely to keep spending. Hopefully something we won't have to worry about, because we won't be there!

So basically Birmingham need to beat Norwich, who still need a point to be absolutely sure of a playoff place. Tough.

Would thoroughly serve them right for the Eustace/Rooney decision.....although I reckon they would be really tough opponents in League One. They've got new money, and would seem very likely to keep spending. Hopefully something we won't have to worry about, because we won't be there!

If they go down can you imagine the hype when they play Wrexham with Tom Brady being a part owner?

Back
Top Bottom