General Cars

Peterdev

I’m having a midlife crisis. I have a Skoda Octavia 1.5TSI which is fast and fun and now looking at buying a 2 litre Mazda MX5. Anyone on her have one?
I’ve yet to drive one but getting the feeling I won’t regret buying one.
Looking at around 16/17 registration at around £17500

I’m having a midlife crisis. I have a Skoda Octavia 1.5TSI which is fast and fun and now looking at buying a 2 litre Mazda MX5. Anyone on her have one?
Don't even think about it, mate! I've driven a lot kms on my Mazda 323 and it's been hell of a car.

*Don't take it seriously*

I know someone who’s on their fifth MX5, always 2.0 litre and the latest engine has improved mpg to average 42. Swears by them. PM me if you want more tech detail..

If you're after a coupe and have a budget of around 17k I would have a look at an Audi TT 2.0 TFSI .

I had one about 10 years back. It was a safe ok sort of drive; very forgiving. Much preferred the MGF that preceded it and you could get one of those for a quarter of the price (but they do need a bit more tlc and spares are getting harder to get).

Get a real sports car. Lotus Elise. S2 is better than the S1 (and needs far fewer upgrades) I've had both and loved every minute, only moved on when I found it less easy to get in and out. Tried a TT, nice but there are so many variants and not all of them actually perform that well. Talking of performance, the MX5 is a bit tame in comparison to both. Fine, if you are happy just plodding along but, if you want the feel of actually driving, then the Lotus is spot on.
Whatever you choose, if you can afford it, go for it. Not long before us petrol heads have to give up and pretend we can hear the engine!

I know someone who’s on their fifth MX5, always 2.0 litre and the latest engine has improved mpg to average 42. Swears by them. PM me if you want more tech detail..
Thanks. Everything I’m hearing about these little gems sounds perfect
I have been in one. It was driven by one of my students after he passed his test.
I have certainly come around to the idea of the 2.0
They have been around a long time so I’d imagine they’re easy and cheap to fix

Get a real sports car. Lotus Elise. S2 is better than the S1 (and needs far fewer upgrades) I've had both and loved every minute, only moved on when I found it less easy to get in and out. Tried a TT, nice but there are so many variants and not all of them actually perform that well. Talking of performance, the MX5 is a bit tame in comparison to both. Fine, if you are happy just plodding along but, if you want the feel of actually driving, then the Lotus is spot on.
Whatever you choose, if you can afford it, go for it. Not long before us petrol heads have to give up and pretend we can hear the engine!
I believe the Elise has Austin Allegro door handles. .....Just saying.

Very good input ML…thank you.
Years ago I drove a couple of MGBs and they were fun especially the engine noise. Reliability and rust was something else.
I am certainly set on an MX5. I know it must be 2016 on otherwise I’ll be spending as much on servicing as on rust control.

Wing mirrors on the S1 are from the Mini Metro!
Amongst owners and enthusiasts it's common knowledge that parts from Lotus are just re-boxed/re-labelled from other manufacturers. The biggest laugh was that the original engine was the Rover 1.8 K series. You didn't trust it until the head gasket had failed, then, and only then, could it be sorted to last. When mine went, in bloody France, I had the upgraded sports version put on. Huge improvement which meant that it could be better tuned. The S2 benefitted, eventually, from getting the Toyota 2ZZ engine that they put in several of their better performance models. I had the 111R which had the VVTi version (variable valve) which meant that around 6500 rpm it "kicked" in a lot more power. (unless you had the modified ECU - as I did to give a smoother transition.)

Going back to MG's I had the greatest time as a young lad belting around in an MGA from the early 60's. Totally impractical - no door locks, no power steering (similar to the S1) and the roof was canvas so it gradually rotted away!

Right now I'm driving an F-TypeR Jag. 5 litre, 550 PS rear wheel drive (they do an all wheel drive version as well - but this is more fun) Downside is the cost of driving, really don't know if I can justify the expense but, I'm going to stick with as long as I can!

Thanks. Everything I’m hearing about these little gems sounds perfect
I have been in one. It was driven by one of my students after he passed his test.
I have certainly come around to the idea of the 2.0
They have been around a long time so I’d imagine they’re easy and cheap to fix
They’re certainly fun to drive, you’ll rarely see one with bodywork issues and Mazda has to be one of the most reliable brands on the road. I hope you find the same.

Amongst owners and enthusiasts it's common knowledge that parts from Lotus are just re-boxed/re-labelled from other manufacturers. The biggest laugh was that the original engine was the Rover 1.8 K series. You didn't trust it until the head gasket had failed, then, and only then, could it be sorted to last. When mine went, in bloody France, I had the upgraded sports version put on. Huge improvement which meant that it could be better tuned. The S2 benefitted, eventually, from getting the Toyota 2ZZ engine that they put in several of their better performance models. I had the 111R which had the VVTi version (variable valve) which meant that around 6500 rpm it "kicked" in a lot more power. (unless you had the modified ECU - as I did to give a smoother transition.)

Going back to MG's I had the greatest time as a young lad belting around in an MGA from the early 60's. Totally impractical - no door locks, no power steering (similar to the S1) and the roof was canvas so it gradually rotted away!

Right now I'm driving an F-TypeR Jag. 5 litre, 550 PS rear wheel drive (they do an all wheel drive version as well - but this is more fun) Downside is the cost of driving, really don't know if I can justify the expense but, I'm going to stick with as long as I can!
An old school friend got a red E Type on his 60th. Definitely mid life crisis

Going right back to my early days. I had a Volvo 340. They had a Cortina air filter, and one or two parts from the Renault.
I know my dad had difficulties with Morris spares and got second hand MG ones which were just the same

Morris Marina actually, remember one being parked near Mum`s house, early 1980`s for context, when we were walking home from the pub.
Tried the Marina key in the door and it opened it.

Locked it carefully and headed home. :) :ROFLMAO:

Also used on other early Lotus cars and early Range Rovers......

Going right back to my early days. I had a Volvo 340. They had a Cortina air filter, and one or two parts from the Renault.
I know my dad had difficulties with Morris spares and got second hand MG ones which were just the same

SAAB 121 was a Lancia Delta iirc. Not for UK, I forget what the Iranian Hillman Hunter was called.

Greta hates you. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Brother in laws midlife crisis car is a AM Vantage.

Greta hates him too. :ROFLMAO:

I had the misfortune to have to borrow an Austin Princess one day. I accidentally left the passenger door wide open one night.
I lived on an a busy road but sadly the car was still there nearly 24 hours later…..

Had the same car for 8 years now 04 X-type jag 2l diesel....Since ive owned it ive put 135k miles on the clock...not too.bad on distance fuel consumption ( 50mpg) ....best car ive ever owned ....needed a bit of tlc recently since which its been to Exeter n back, Burnley n back Dublin n back, currently in Eastbourne back to.the 'shire later

Back
Top Bottom