World Cup Brazil’s Firepower !

Are France really that good in 2022?
Their attacking options are admittedly completely absurd - but defensively and in midfield? I don't see a whole heap of quality or experience there, now that they are without Pogba, Kante and have question marks over Varane.
As I said, I think that is down to your ignorance then because their midfield pair both start regularly for the best team in the world (and get rave reviews while doing so) they have 2 of the best centre backs in the Premiership, With one or maybe even both likely to be back up because of the quality they have there. They have arguably 3 of the top few left backs in the world, and a very good right back

Due to injuries their midfield depth is not ideal and their goalkeeper isn’t great, but to say you don’t see quality there is seriously baffling

Are France really that good in 2022?
Their attacking options are admittedly completely absurd - but defensively and in midfield? I don't see a whole heap of quality or experience there, now that they are without Pogba, Kante and have question marks over Varane.

They also only got one point in four games against Denmark and Croatia in the recent Nations League. Glorified friendlies, maybe, but still not a good sign.

I look at Brazil as having the best and deepest squad by some distance, and the tournament is theirs to win if they're well managed and they get it together.

If they don't, then I think there's about ten teams in a second tier that have a shot......and yes, England is one of those.
I’d actually put attack as one area that England can match up against France - I’d put Kane, Foden, Grealish, Saka and Rashford up against Mbappe, Benzema, Griezmann, Dembele and Coman, for example, with France only just coming out on top.

In defence however, we’ve got nothing on them - Maguire, Stones, Trippier, Shaw, Coady against Kimpembe, Hernandez, Saliba, Upamecano and Varane?! Any one of those would walk straight into our starting XI!

As I said, I think that is down to your ignorance then because their midfield pair both start regularly for the best team in the world (and get rave reviews while doing so) they have 2 of the best centre backs in the Premiership, With one or maybe even both likely to be back up because of the quality they have there. They have arguably 3 of the top few left backs in the world, and a very good right back

Due to injuries their midfield depth is not ideal and their goalkeeper isn’t great, but to say you don’t see quality there is seriously baffling

Firstly, you are probably absolutely right about my ignorance. 95% of the football I watch is Oxford, and the other 5% is the occasional PL game.
My opinions are currently almost entirely based on World Cup preview articles I've read, and statistical analysis (I am a deep Statto) - I've never seen most of these players in question play; that's one of the great joys I take from watching the World Cup - getting to learn about, and get more informed opinions on the best players in the world.

But, I presume the midfield pair you're talking about are Tchouameni and Camavinga?
One guy who is in his first season playing at the top level, and a 19 year old who's only started a handful of games this season and has just four caps?
Won't argue with you about their talent (because I don't know!) but there's definitely minimal experience there. The entire six man midfield they're bringing to Qatar has less caps than Jordan Henderson!

Maybe they can go ahead and win the World Cup with such a green midfield. But I would argue that it's never been done before - most (if not all?) World Cup winners have players with signficant big game experience in their engine rooms.

Firstly, you are probably absolutely right about my ignorance. 95% of the football I watch is Oxford, and the other 5% is the occasional PL game.
My opinions are currently almost entirely based on World Cup preview articles I've read, and statistical analysis (I am a deep Statto) - I've never seen most of these players in question play; that's one of the great joys I take from watching the World Cup - getting to learn about, and get more informed opinions on the best players in the world.

But, I presume the midfield pair you're talking about are Tchouameni and Camavinga?
One guy who is in his first season playing at the top level, and a 19 year old who's only started a handful of games this season and has just four caps?
Won't argue with you about their talent (because I don't know!) but there's definitely minimal experience there. The entire six man midfield they're bringing to Qatar has less caps than Jordan Henderson!

Maybe they can go ahead and win the World Cup with such a green midfield. But I would argue that it's never been done before - most (if not all?) World Cup winners have players with signficant big game experience in their engine rooms.
the Southgate WC squad approach?

In defence however, we’ve got nothing on them - Maguire, Stones, Trippier, Shaw, Coady against Kimpembe, Hernandez, Saliba, Upamecano and Varane?! Any one of those would walk straight into our starting XI!

OK, in my next France-bashing post (having done a bit more research)......

Kimpembe is injured and not in Qatar, Varane is an injury doubt, and Saliba & Upamecano, while clearly talented, are both very inexperienced. 14 caps between the two of them, and neither have played in a major final or an international tournament before. They are both new to the biggest stage.
Admittedly their full backs are both highly experienced World Cup winners, but still if Varane can't go, they're going to be very green at CB.

I renew my prediction that France's central spine is too inexperienced to win the World Cup; I reckon they finish second in their group to Denmark and then get beaten by Argentina in the last 16......

.....and when all these youngsters turn out to be awesome and they retain their trophy with ease, you can have a good laugh at me!

OK, in my next France-bashing post (having done a bit more research)......

Kimpembe is injured and not in Qatar, Varane is an injury doubt, and Saliba & Upamecano, while clearly talented, are both very inexperienced. 14 caps between the two of them, and neither have played in a major final or an international tournament before. They are both new to the biggest stage.
Admittedly their full backs are both highly experienced World Cup winners, but still if Varane can't go, they're going to be very green at CB.

I renew my prediction that France's central spine is too inexperienced to win the World Cup; I reckon they finish second in their group to Denmark and then get beaten by Argentina in the last 16......

.....and when all these youngsters turn out to be awesome and they retain their trophy with ease, you can have a good laugh at me!
I'm fairness to you apart from the last world cup which France won they've always had a good squad but never a team

Back
Top Bottom