National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

I don’t disagree, and when towns like Hartlepool have been let down by Labour, or conversely any other party with a 50 odd year tenure, I wonder how much those populations really care about the reputation or public perception of those politicians and whether they’re in touch or not when what they really want is a party to give them hope?
The voters aren’t stupid, they see and read about politicans every day, the scandals, the rumours, the finger pointing....all of which is sadly ‘normal’ to the media and sells their papers, so so much of that bullshit has to be ‘accepted’ by the public because if it wasn’t they‘d never vote for any party.
I would be interested to know how you think they have been let down by a party that has been in opposition for the last 10 years (and for the majority of the last 50+ that it has been a safe Labour seat).

Surely the government of the day, of whatever colour, has the ultimate responsibility for ensuring areas do no fall so far into poverty as Hartlepool and its surrounds have. To pin it on the local MP is ridiculous unless they are part of the government making the policies which these decisions and their fate hang on. So yeah, what the Tories have done is sell them a whole lot of hope for a hopeless region, when it was mostly they who made the region that way in the first place!

The Tories sold them hope with Brexit, they sold them hope with the levelling up agenda and I'm guessing the upside of both for communities like Hartlepool will be massively overstated as much as its results will be massively underwhelming. Tory snake oil salesmen at their finest. My guess is that the already pretty s**t lives that many live are going to get a whole lot worse before any prospect of improvement.

But no worries , The Gammon-faced, bigoted racists xenophobes can now sneer and point at the woke liberal/left metropolitan elite and call them the problem, when in reality both sides are guilty of exactly what they accuse the other of. Such is the way of the binary for and against, black and white world in which we live. You either love or you have to hate, you're either right or you're wrong. You either win or you lose.

All whipped up by the politicians and media to make you care/get angry and incensed about pretty ridiculous stuff. . . . and despise those perceived to be responsible for source of anger into the bargain.

• React
Reactions: QR
I would be interested to know how you think they have been let down by a party that has been in opposition for the last 10 years (and for the majority of the last 50+ that it has been a safe Labour seat).

Surely the government of the day, of whatever colour, has the ultimate responsibility for ensuring areas do no fall so far into poverty as Hartlepool and its surrounds have. To pin it on the local MP is ridiculous unless they are part of the government making the policies which these decisions and their fate hang on. So yeah, what the Tories have done is sell them a whole lot of hope for a hopeless region, when it was mostly they who made the region that way in the first place!

The Tories sold them hope with Brexit, they sold them hope with the levelling up agenda and I'm guessing the upside of both for communities like Hartlepool will be massively overstated as much as its results will be massively underwhelming. Tory snake oil salesmen at their finest. My guess is that the already pretty s**t lives that many live are going to get a whole lot worse before any prospect of improvement.

But no worries , The Gammon-faced, bigoted racists xenophobes can now sneer and point at the woke liberal/left metropolitan elite and call them the problem, when in reality both sides are guilty of exactly what they accuse the other of. Such is the way of the binary for and against, black and white world in which we live. You either love or you have to hate, you're either right or you're wrong. You either win or you lose.

All whipped up by the politicians and media to make you care/get angry and incensed about pretty ridiculous stuff. . . . and despise those perceived to be responsible for source of anger into the bargain.
Not feeling let down by Labour? who is responsible for local spending in Hartlepool then?! Are you telling me that for 50 years the government of the day, be that Labour or Conservative, hasn’t provided adequate funding to the local council?
I‘ve worked in Labour controlled towns under Tory governments and , often despite budget cuts, spending locally is decided by that Labour council on local priorities. Have I missed something or are you really that desperate to shift blame to the Tories rather than acknowledge Labour‘s failings?!

Keith

Efrbe5kXYAEm7rx

Viewing from it is comical that if you want to “stick it to the man” in Britain these days you do it by voting for a Tory Party in its most socially elite configuration for years.
It’s like satire on a par with poor Americans voting for Trump.
It’s really not.

Viewing from it is comical that if you want to “stick it to the man” in Britain these days you do it by voting for a Tory Party in its most socially elite configuration for years.
It’s like satire on a par with poor Americans voting for Trump.
It just goes to show how out of touch the left leaning parties of the US and UK have become, when people have to turn right to make their point.

In my opinion, the group making up "the man" has changed, recently. The super wealthy, the old Etonians and the Chipping Norton set types keep to themselves. Why should the people of regional England care what they're doing - they let them go about their lives with minimal intervention.

The new "the man" is all around us. It's the BBC writing articles sanctioning the speech we're allowed to use. It's the Twitter mob hounding ordinary people because they wore a native American headdress to a Halloween party in 1999. Its an advertising and film industry taking away James Bond and cancelling old fe-runs of our favourite shows. It's "mostly peaceful" students trashing our towns. It's being told you have privilege because you're white, even though nobody in your family has been able to get a job for 10 years. It's being told you're stupid for voting Brexit.

"The man" is now directly impacting what we do on a regular basis. He's taking tangible things away from us.He's supported by the mainstream media.

If Labour can't position itself in opposition to "the man" then it might as well give up.

The new "the man" is all around us. It's the BBC writing articles sanctioning the speech we're allowed to use. It's the Twitter mob hounding ordinary people because they wore a native American headdress to a Halloween party in 1999. Its an advertising and film industry taking away James Bond and cancelling old fe-runs of our favourite shows. It's "mostly peaceful" students trashing our towns. It's being told you have privilege because you're white, even though nobody in your family has been able to get a job for 10 years. It's being told you're stupid for voting Brexit.

"The man" is now directly impacting what we do on a regular basis. He's taking tangible things away from us.He's supported by the mainstream media.

If Labour can't position itself in opposition to "the man" then it might as well give up.
And if this is so how is any of it the fault of a Labour government that has been out of power for 11 years?

Or put another way it's all happening under tory rule.

Not feeling let down by Labour? who is responsible for local spending in Hartlepool then?! Are you telling me that for 50 years the government of the day, be that Labour or Conservative, hasn’t provided adequate funding to the local council?
I‘ve worked in Labour controlled towns under Tory governments and , often despite budget cuts, spending locally is decided by that Labour council on local priorities. Have I missed something or are you really that desperate to shift blame to the Tories rather than acknowledge Labour‘s failings?!

Spending on local infrastructure and who emptys your bins and the social care provision available is a little bit different to deciding the macro-economic policy for a whole region which systematically allowed traditional industries to fail with absolutely nothing to replace them and hence no job prospects. While local government can help facilitate, if central government don't make investment in job in a particular region, then it just won't happen. Was it not the government who brokered the deal to bring Nissan to the North East, or did the local council pull that off on their own?

And why are central government even talking about levelling up if they can just leave success or failure of regions to local politcs and administrations?

So yes you have missed something in that successive central governments have ignored investing in these regions and Tory governments have never been that great in investing in traditional Labour heartlands.

Many deprived areas in the UK, might I add, benefitted from EU funding in conjunction with local and regional al administrations to try and at least plug the investment gap left by UK govt.

So let's see just how serious the Tories are about the levelling up agenda... now there's an even bigger mountain to climb.

Spending on local infrastructure and who emptys your bins and the social care provision available is a little bit different to deciding the macro-economic policy for a whole region which systematically allowed traditional industries to fail with absolutely nothing to replace them and hence no job prospects. While local government can help facilitate, if central government don't make investment in job in a particular region, then it just won't happen. Was it not the government who brokered the deal to bring Nissan to the North East, or did the local council pull that off on their own?

And why are central government even talking about levelling up if they can just leave success or failure of regions to local politcs and administrations?

So yes you have missed something in that successive central governments have ignored investing in these regions and Tory governments have never been that great in investing in traditional Labour heartlands.

Many deprived areas in the UK, might I add, benefitted from EU funding in conjunction with local and regional al administrations to try and at least plug the investment gap left by UK govt.

So let's see just how serious the Tories are about the levelling up agenda... now there's an even bigger mountain to climb.
You don’t need to wait for central investment to make a difference. Innovative local businesses supported by local planners and councils, investing in local jobs and infrastructure, It works, I’ve been there.
But working up from the ground rather than relying on central investment and doing that for yourselves doesn’t give you anyone to blame, does it?

You don’t need to wait for central investment to make a difference. Innovative local businesses supported by local planners and councils, investing in local jobs and infrastructure, It works, I’ve been there.
But working up from the ground rather than relying on central investment and doing that for yourselves doesn’t give you anyone to blame, does it?
So you are saying the Tory government, with the financial clout the Treasury behind it, hasn't done this but blame a cash strapped Council that can only fiddle around the edges once they funded statutory services.

And if this is so how is any of it the fault of a Labour government that has been out of power for 11 years?

Or put another way it's all happening under tory rule.
I'm not saying it's labour's fault - I'm saying Labour will have to tap into this frustration if they want to appeal to "normal" people.

That Emily Thornberry comment is still remembered.

I`ll agree with that.

We have a Labour City Council and Labour Mayor, the latter of whom got "slipped in" to avoid a direct election however those were the rules.

However, the work they have done on the City Centre and some local brownfield sites etc has been brilliant.

Alongside that there is always the taint of politics. the primary beneficiaries of the investment have been the Mayor`s daughter and his associates.
Council development sites being sold off for peanuts after being purchased at full market value, subsidising a deli company by £250k to open a business that shut 2 years later.... the murk goes on but the capital investment creates jobs and improves things for most of us.

So you are saying the Tory government, with the financial clout the Treasury behind it, hasn't done this but blame a cash strapped Council that can only fiddle around the edges once they funded statutory services.
Of course central government should be investing but where they don’t I’m saying that whilst fighting for that central investment, I’d rather make things happen with council support than sit back, wait for someone to do something then blame, blame, blame when it doesn’t happen.

I'm not saying it's labour's fault - I'm saying Labour will have to tap into this frustration if they want to appeal to "normal" people.
So if it's not Labour's fault whose is it? The incumbent government? And if that's so how will perpetuating that government change things or offer change as the Hartlepool's new MP claims.

None of it adds up.

Let's face it the Tories have done sweet FA to help communities such as Hartlepool. They have succeed purely because a sufficient number of votes like Johnson because, God knows why, they think he has charism. Look back over the years and PMs perceived by a sizable minority of the population as either being charismatic or not the 'least charismatic' of the party leaders succeed. Cameron had to ride the coat tails of Clegg mania in order to beat dour Brown.

I don't think any Local Authority willingly sits back and let's and area decay do they?

But they can do so much more if they are pushing at an open door with central government.

And nepotistic mafia in Local Authority is not limited to Leicestershire and Labour.....it is rife in Oxfordshire Tory strongholds too![emoji6]

So if chronic systemic underinvestment in a region is not the fault of central government, you ARE pinning the blame on the local government...because somebody is at fault for the multi generational poverty and zero job prospects many have in Hartlepool....and many other former industrial areas up and down the country.

And the problem is by saying it is NOT the fault of central government, you are letting them off Scott free and not holding them to account.

Which is precisely what Boris wants you to do because accountability and scrutiny are not his strong suits, as evidenced by his illegal prorogation of parliament. He demonstrably lied to the head of state and everyone shrugged their shoulders and carried on as normal....because it's only cuddly Boris and that's how he is.

I don't think any Local Authority willingly sits back and let's and area decay do they?

But they can do so much more if they are pushing at an open door with central government.

And nepotistic mafia in Local Authority is not limited to Leicestershire and Labour.....it is rife in Oxfordshire Tory strongholds too![emoji6]

So if chronic systemic underinvestment in a region is not the fault of central government, you ARE pinning the blame on the local government...because somebody is at fault for the multi generational poverty and zero job prospects many have in Hartlepool....and many other former industrial areas up and down the country.

And the problem is by saying it is NOT the fault of central government, you are letting them off Scott free and not holding them to account.

Which is precisely what Boris wants you to do because accountability and scrutiny are not his strong suits, as evidenced by his illegal prorogation of parliament. He demonstrably lied to the head of state and everyone shrugged their shoulders and carried on as normal....because it's only cuddly Boris and that's how he is.
Of course it’s central government who should be investing, as I said, whilst fighting for that investment and holding them to account, get on and do something rather than sit and wait for something that may not come.
If the local council aren’t holding government to account, vote in a party who will. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom