Ex Player Best Player - Post 1990

Gerrard

Robinson Elliott Dickie Baldock

Maguire Magilton Lundstram Beauchamp

Roofe Windass

Phil Gilchrist is way ahead of Rob Dickie at this point considering his career with us (1st spell) followed by his PL spell. He gets overshadowed by Matty Elliott but he was a fantastic player in his own right.

Also for consistency, I'd have Stuart Massey ahead of Chris Maguire. SM may not have had the fancy stuff in beating a player but my could he cross a fantastic ball. Only David Bardsley and Dave Langan could consistently cross such a good ball.

And at left back, it has to be Jimmy Phillips for me. Edit: Scratch JP as left in 1990.

Gerrard

Robinson Elliott Dickie Baldock

Maguire Magilton Lundstram Beauchamp

Roofe Windass

That midfield 4 - spot on! 👌🏻 Growing up my first OUFC idol was Paul Simpson but I don’t he’d quite make an all time 11.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Phil Gilchrist is way ahead of Rob Dickie at this point considering his career with us (1st spell) followed by his PL spell. He gets overshadowed by Matty Elliott but he was a fantastic player in his own right.

Also for consistency, I'd have Stuart Massey ahead of Chris Maguire. SM may not have had the fancy stuff in beating a player but my could he cross a fantastic ball. Only David Bardsley and Dave Langan could consistently cross such a good ball.

And at left back, it has to be Jimmy Phillips for me. Edit: Scratch JP as left in 1990.

I bloody loved Massey.

And yeah you’re almost certainly correct in saying that Gilly was/is underrated.

What a f*****g defence that was.

My brother once saw Mark Angel and Martin Aldridge punching two bags of s**t out of each other because they were both trying to pull the same girl in town. For that reason alone, they must both be included.

I always had a massive soft spot for Mark Angel as he scored in the first game my Grandad took me to at the Manor.

Dat team, tho.

8242f86b5cf4bde5b3f14931a360e6a2.jpg

I always had a massive soft spot for Mark Angel as he scored in the first game my Grandad took me to at the Manor.

Dat team, tho.

8242f86b5cf4bde5b3f14931a360e6a2.jpg

KR would get slammed for using Joey as a right back. :)

• React
Reactions: MJB
My brother once saw Mark Angel and Martin Aldridge punching two bags of s**t out of each other because they were both trying to pull the same girl in town. For that reason alone, they must both be included.

My brother was good mates with Mark Druce and we'd often go out drinking with some of the Oxford squad between '92 and '96. You would have been able to fill 5th Avenue and Park End* with Mark Angel's conquests so you'd have thought he'd let Martin Aldridge have one at least!!

* said establishments used to demonstrate both the quantity and quality of the aforementioned conquests!!!

Back
Top Bottom