General Best Away Day?

Best Away Day Since Promotion in 2010?

• *FGR 29 April 2023

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Middlesbrough FA Cup 5th round.

• Chesterfield 1 - 2 Oxford. 23 November 2010. Bottom of the league at half time

• Torquay 3 - 4 Oxford. 3 January 2011. Jack Midson hat-trick

• West Ham 1 - 0 Oxford. 24 August 2010. League Cup with late winner for the hammers.

• Rotherham 2 - 3 Oxford. 7 Jan 2017. FA Cup 3rd round after being 1-0 down at half time

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m going with Derby from this season.

Because it was a great win.

And my only away game since 2016.

I was lucky to have witnessed all of those listed .
All were excellent and bring back different memories/emotions.
For me an initial short list of 3:
Charlton (Ledson)
Brentford ( Roofe)
Middlesbrough(Martinez)
Then recalled the first game of last season, away at Derby.
Probably the finest overall stadium atmoshere, i’ve experienced at a league one club match.

I've enjoyed adding games to the poll.
What makes a great away day?
Opponent - rivalry and/or stature of opponent.
Importance of result - Winning promotion / avoiding relegation / cup upset / bragging rights
Away day location - eg London better than Gillingham?
Away attendance - did we sell out / was it a game that "everyone" went to?

Importance of result - Winning promotion / avoiding relegation / cup upset / bragging rights
Good Question. I think it is a number of things. My favourite away day is Leicester 2 Oxford 3 from 93/94. Opposition flying high, we hadn't won away all season. Everyone expected it to be a home win but Oxford put in a fantastic second half to win it. Silencing a big home crowd, a decent away following who didn't stop singing for the whole game and ultimately got the team over the line. What an amazing day, still my #1.

My friend, anywhere is better than Gillingham.

Good Question. I think it is a number of things. My favourite away day is Leicester 2 Oxford 3 from 93/94. Opposition flying high, we hadn't won away all season. Everyone expected it to be a home win but Oxford put in a fantastic second half to win it. Silencing a big home crowd, a decent away following who didn't stop singing for the whole game and ultimately got the team over the line. What an amazing day, still my #1.

Still love how Alex Dyer's goal looks like it is in slow mo even though it was in real time.

My friend, anywhere is better than Gillingham.
I agree. It was a record breaking away win with a never seen before four penalties scored by the same player. But loses points due to : **** away stand, **** town, not a "must go" match, no rivalry / grudge, no importance to the match.

Go on then, I'll throw a curve ball for the memories. It was one of my favourites so worth a shout in here.

Chesterfield 1 - 2 OUFC
Tuesday 23rd November 2010

We went into this one bottom of the form table after 5 straight defeats. Chesterfield were top of the league, top of the form table and had won 7 of their 8 home games.

One of those where you can't believe you're dragging yourself up north on a Tuesday night for what is surely an inevitable thumping.

We go 1-0 down in 14 minutes and struggle on. Second half comes round and Steve Maclean pulls out the performance of his life, getting us playing like Barcelona out of absolutely nowhere. Craddock and Maclean on the shoresheet to turn it around and win 2-1.

I remember only around 200 of us in the away end that night, all delirious, one of the moments you remind yourself why you make crazy midweek trips and battle through the traffic despite being completely written off.

Hahaha how do you remember that!?
Easy.

I knew that we didn't lose our first league game until nearly Christmas, and the game you mentioned was in September. So I looked it up and saw that it was a 1-0 victory (I was there actually, and all I remember of it was thinking what a s**t hole the place was and how far we had fallen). We were unbeaten for 18 games before losing to Ebbsfleet in late November.

Go on then, I'll throw a curve ball for the memories. It was one of my favourites so worth a shout in here.

Chesterfield 1 - 2 OUFC

We went into this one bottom of the form table after 5 straight defeats. Chesterfield were top of the league, top of the form table and had won 7 of their 8 home games.

One of those where you can't believe you're dragging yourself up north on a Tuesday night for what is surely an inevitable thumping.

We go 1-0 down in 14 minutes and struggle on. Second half comes round and Steve Maclean pulls out the performance of his life, getting us playing like Barcelona out of absolutely nowhere. Craddock and Maclean on the shoresheet to turn it around and win 2-1.

I remember only around 200 of us in the away end that night, all delirious, one of the moments you remind yourself why you make crazy midweek trips and battle through the traffic despite being completely written off.
I remember that one. After all the elation of getting back in the football league with me hoping for back-to-back promotions, I think we were bottom of L2 on the "live table" at half time.

Chesterfield 1 - 2 OUFC

We were bottom of the league at HT.

Still maintain MacLean needs a statue at the new stadium for that performance alone.

Chesterfield 1 - 2 OUFC

198 + 2 Lincoln yellows...... 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom