Belgium v Russia

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
1-0 to Belgium, Lukaku goal.

Nasty collision 25 mins in with the Belgium player needing to go off and the Russian with a headband looking very groggy!

I had the sound off for the Lukaku goal. Can someone explain why it wasn’t chalked off by VAR for offside?

Lukaku was offside when the ball was played was he not? I know the Russian defender made a hash of the clearance after that but Lukaku was offside when the initial delivery to him was made.

I had the sound off for the Lukaku goal. Can someone explain why it wasn’t chalked off by VAR for offside?

Lukaku was offside when the ball was played was he not? I know the Russian defender made a hash of the clearance after that but Lukaku was offside when the initial delivery to him was made.

Does the other team have to ask for a review? I have no idea about VAR "rules"..

Halftime slow mo came off the defender it seems....

Does the other team have to ask for a review? I have no idea about VAR "rules"..

I thought it would have been checked as standard.

Whilst I don’t think it would change the outcome since Belgium are miles ahead of Russia (who have the best national anthem bar none), I still thought it shouldn’t stand.

Just seen Belgium's 1st goal. Is VAR abandoned after the Welsh game? Lukaku looked very offside when I paused it at the point of the ball being played.

Halftime slow mo came off the defender it seems....
Not seen the incident, but the ball coming off a defender, then the attacker is still offside, unless it was a deliberate pass by the defender.

Not seen the incident, but the ball coming off a defender, then the attacker is still offside, unless it was a deliberate pass by the defender.
It didn’t count when Dembele was offside when he scored for the posh against suit hit Josh o the way through and Dembele was at least a coupe of yards off side

Re Lukaku goal:

The Russian defender made a deliberate attempt to play the ball and messed it up. This means that a new phase of play starts and Lukaku is onside, and the original pass is void. If the ball had simply bounced off the defender or deflected off him and it was obvious that he couldn’t do anything about the touch then it would be offside, but he made an attempt to try to control / pass it while under no pressure or obligation to do so and got it wrong. Same as Mings v Man City last season, when he tried to control a loose ball with nobody near him and fudged it, and then a City player got his skates on and nicked it.

Re Lukaku goal:

The Russian defender made a deliberate attempt to play the ball and messed it up. This means that a new phase of play starts and Lukaku is onside, and the original pass is void. If the ball had simply bounced off the defender or deflected off him and it was obvious that he couldn’t do anything about the touch then it would be offside, but he made an attempt to try to control / pass it while under no pressure or obligation to do so and got it wrong. Same as Mings v Man City last season, when he tried to control a loose ball with nobody near him and fudged it, and then a City player got his skates on and nicked it.

Lovely. That’s what I needed explaining.

A strange law change nonetheless. How you can determine what may be deliberate and what’s accidental is subjective but there you go.

Re Lukaku goal:

So defenders now need 360 degree vision just in case somebody over the other side of the pitch who they can't see is offside if the ball flicks off them.

Lets just fast forward to 10 forwards and a keeper for each team, and cut out the middle, as offside already favours the attacking team.

Lovely. That’s what I needed explaining.

A strange law change nonetheless. How you can determine what may be deliberate and what’s accidental is subjective but there you go.
Yeah, but to be fair, that’s just the nature of refereeing I guess. Even with VAR many decisions are still just an opinion. I would hate to be a ref.

Lets just fast forward to 10 forwards and a keeper for each team, and cut out the middle, as offside already favours the attacking team.
Please don’t tell Robinson about your idea.

Back
Top Bottom