Ex Player Ateef Konate

Going wildly off topic now but Sam Slocombe’s attempts to claim crosses without using his arms in 2016 is up there too.

The goalkeeper equivalent of Ben Futcher being 8 feet tall but refusing to jump.

Last edited:
Strange year for keepers that year. We had Slocombe and Buchel who were neither good enough as number 1 but still managed to go up!
Had it not been 2 awful keepers I think we could of won the league that season, they say a good keeper wins you an extra 10-15 points well they both managed to lose us that many, Eastwood the fellowing season was outstanding shame he wasn’t with us during our promotion season

Had it not been 2 awful keepers I think we could of won the league that season, they say a good keeper wins you an extra 10-15 points well they both managed to lose us that many, Eastwood the fellowing season was outstanding shame he wasn’t with us during our promotion season
We went up in spite of those two. If we had Eastwood that season I think we could’ve broken 100 points and won the title. They threw away so many points.

Love it.

The Turley one is worse than Salmon. Hell, that's worse than Clarke. Can't have been there that day, because I have no memory of it whatsoever!

The McCaldon one is bad.....but keepers do get their kicks charged down every once in a while. It's just rare that it ricochets into the goal.

Woodman obviously gets a big bonus for dropping two absolute clangers in the same game. But I don't think either of them are as bad as Salmon's on their own.

Shrewsbury away mid 1990s I recall either two defenders or defender and goalie colliding allowing a tap in for the shrews. It may even have been the year we were on pretty decent 🔥

A real clanger. Think a guy called Steve wood involved

Shrewsbury away mid 1990s I recall either two defenders or defender and goalie colliding allowing a tap in for the shrews. It may even have been the year we were on pretty decent 🔥

A real clanger. Think a guy called Steve wood involved
Always remember away at Luton one year when we were being really sh*t, to the extent that the crowd started singing the circus music (daddad daddle addle daddad daada) at which point two of our defenders ran into each other head on, then toppled over backwards like villains in the old batman TV show

All I remember about Ateef Konate is that the club made a video when he signed. Sam Baldock featured in it and told Konate 'I'm training today'. Karl Robinson also asked Konate 'how's your English?' then I think Karl went on to make a joke about nobody being able to understand him because he was scouse.

There was also a few clips of Konate training and firing a few shots wide. 'Unlucky!' Karl would say. Then he actually scored one and Karl exclaimed 'good finish!'

It was at that point that I knew we were fucked, but at least the club were trying to produce some better content.

All I remember about Ateef Konate is that the club made a video when he signed. Sam Baldock featured in it and told Konate 'I'm training today'. Karl Robinson also asked Konate 'how's your English?' then I think Karl went on to make a joke about nobody being able to understand him because he was scouse.

There was also a few clips of Konate training and firing a few shots wide. 'Unlucky!' Karl would say. Then he actually scored one and Karl exclaimed 'good finish!'

It was at that point that I knew we were fucked, but at least the club were trying to produce some better content.
I remember seeing that and thinking how natural it seemed that Baldock, a guy Konate would likely have never heard of, would say that unprompted as if Konate might have been wondering. Definitely not done as a way to try and appease fans on the sly.

Back
Top Bottom