Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

I would not throw Stevens into a game against a team we have never beaten, especially away from home. I do believe a change is needed, but not on Saturday..........next week, who knows?

I would not throw Stevens into a game against a team we have never beaten, especially away from home. I do believe a change is needed, but not on Saturday..........next week, who knows?
Why not? He’s a League One keeper who should be ready to step in to any game against any opposition and I haven’t seen anything of Stevens that suggests he’s not ready.
Surely if KR didn’t agree he’d have farmed him out a while ago and he has from today until Saturday to get Stevens used to training and playing with the current back four.
Despite his excellent past form, Eastwood is currently a liability and we (KR) simply cannot afford to be nostalgic about making a change.
Manage him, cuddle him, do what needs to be done to reassure Eastwood he’s still an Oxford player but enough’s enough, last night I actually felt sorry for Eastwood after that second goal, his confidence appears to be shot.

Should that make any difference? It's Fleetwood, not Barcelona, so the past record between the teams shouldn't really have much influence on the selection IMO...

I think the general consensus is that Eastwood will be leaving come the end of his contract in summer, would be interesting to know whether Stevens is going to be his replacement or we'll sign someone else (or whether KR knows yet).

I think the general consensus is that Eastwood will be leaving come the end of his contract in summer, would be interesting to know whether Stevens is going to be his replacement or we'll sign someone else (or whether KR knows yet).
True. But the problem is there are many games to go if the season gets completed and the only immediate replacement is Stevens. Next season is way into the future and another matter.
I have always said Easty is a great shot stopper but the rest of his game is average. But now even his best attribute is letting him and the team down. Don't think we have any choice but to give Stevens a go.

Maybe eastwood is the common denominator in our record v fleetwood

The common denominator with Fleetwood is that are always "at it" right from the kick-off - particularly at their place!
KR needs to rev them up properly this Saturday - oh, and put Stevens in goal!

TBH If Robinson keeps persisting with Eastwood then he’s clearly letting all and sundry down at OUFC, Eastwood clearly does need a break and to up his game.

Broken down in training with his groin. Just seems like we're constantly in a position where we're trying to rush defensive players back due to the lack of options.

There seems to be a lot of people intent of making Eastwood the scapegoat for our results, yes he's made mistakes

However he is playing behind a defence that is a little bit makeshift in the sense that they are still learning to play as a unit, to bring a young in-experienced keeper into that scenario might not necessarily be the right thing for him or the team.

I'm not suggesting Stevens isn't capable, i think he is but just not sure now is the right time.

There seems to be a lot of people intent of making Eastwood the scapegoat for our results, yes he's made mistakes

However he is playing behind a defence that is a little bit makeshift in the sense that they are still learning to play as a unit, to bring a young in-experienced keeper into that scenario might not necessarily be the right thing for him or the team.

I'm not suggesting Stevens isn't capable, i think he is but just not sure now is the right time.
I agree that you cannot blame all of our defensive woes on Eastwood. But (as you say) he *has* made mistakes, and that free kick the other night was just horrible.

The problem is that the right time to change a keeper is when the goals are going in, for whatever reason. That is maybe the most difficult time for an other keeper to come into the team - if we were keeping clean sheets, we wouldn't need a change.

But one thing KR cannot do is just persist with the defensive unit he is putting out. He has to make changes. Stevens for Eastwood certainly one he could make. Of course that won't improve the quality of the four in front of him...

I agree that you cannot blame all of our defensive woes on Eastwood. But (as you say) he *has* made mistakes, and that free kick the other night was just horrible.

The problem is that the right time to change a keeper is when the goals are going in, for whatever reason. That is maybe the most difficult time for an other keeper to come into the team - if we were keeping clean sheets, we wouldn't need a change.

But one thing KR cannot do is just persist with the defensive unit he is putting out. He has to make changes. Stevens for Eastwood certainly one he could make. Of course that won't improve the quality of the four in front of him...
It might improve the quality if stevens talks to the defence. I rarely hear eastwood screaming at players to get in the right position etc.

It might improve the quality if stevens talks to the defence. I rarely hear eastwood screaming at players to get in the right position etc.
That does seem to be one of the things the defence is lacking - which is why I think you need an experienced defender with enough gumption to organize them. Whether Stevens has enough experience to do so, I don't know but from what I have seen (heard?) he is more vocal than Eastwood.

That does seem to be one of the things the defence is lacking - which is why I think you need an experienced defender with enough gumption to organize them. Whether Stevens has enough experience to do so, I don't know but from what I have seen (heard?) he is more vocal than Eastwood.
Jack Stevens is deffo more vocal than Easty

Broken down in training with his groin. Just seems like we're constantly in a position where we're trying to rush defensive players back due to the lack of options.
Will Robinson look quickly at what CB’s are out there ffs we need another CB forget the winger/forward

There will never be a right time if he is not given the chance to play.

Back
Top Bottom