Votes: 32 74.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Carabao Cup R1 action tomorrow night.

Bristol drew against Preston at home.

Since the turn of the 00's, we have played them 5 times, 3 in the league 2 in the League Cup

Last 6 meetings:

02 Oct 1999Oxford United v Bristol CityW3-0League Division 2
24 Apr 2000Bristol City v Oxford UnitedD2-2League Division 2
30 Sep 2000Oxford United v Bristol CityL0-1League Division 2
03 Mar 2001Bristol City v Oxford UnitedD0-0League Division 2
10 Sep 2002Bristol City v Oxford United - James HuntW0-1League Cup
12 Aug 2014Bristol City v Oxford United - Carlton Morris + Danny HyltonW1-2League Cup

W: 3
D: 2
L: 1

Last edited:
I'm going for an OUFC win. That'll make 3 consecutive away cup wins there, I'd be surprised if we have ever done that to another team.

History beckons!!!!

Difficult one to forecast. Think we will lose by just 1 goal, 3-2 to City.

Do they have extra time or go straight to penalties? Not that I’m expecting it to matter.

Think we'll actually be much improved against them, they won't stick 10 players behind the ball like Cambridge

2-1 win with goals from RR and Harris

You just know it'll be one of the ex-OUFC players that will score against us.

I prefer that, to be honest, no club wants that midweek before a league game saturday.

I also favour ET and pens for FA Cup instead of replays (although I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion)
I'd go back to replays in the League Cup also, but then I guess I'm "Old Skool" when it comes to that. Without replays we would never have had the glory of 1983...

Oxford United 1 Manchester United 1
Replay: Manchester United 1 Oxford United 1 (aet)
2nd Replay: Oxford United 2 Manchester United 1 (aet)

We played 11 games in the League Cup run of 1983/4

Manning suggested a couple of changes.
Mills for Tyler I assume will be one.
Then Stevens and/or McGuane in as well?

I assume that Beadle will play if he wants to build an understanding in defence rather than 'rest' players and give the back up players a chance?

I'd go back to replays in the League Cup also, but then I guess I'm "Old Skool" when it comes to that. Without replays we would never have had the glory of 1983...

2nd Replay: Oxford United 2 Manchester United (aet)

I don't like extra time, nothing much normally seems to happen, and replays seem OTT in the League Cup now it's diminished in importance. I quite like going straight to pens, it gives you a real chance of going through if you can desperately scrap a home draw against a big club.

2nd Replay: Oxford United 2 Manchester United (aet)

those really were the days

I really do detest the devaluation of cup competitions - proper ones, League cup & Fa cup , (NOT the damn pizza slice trophy) , since the advent of PL, and PL calling thefuckingshots in English football, I
used to enjoy extra time and replays. ( like in 83/84)

when will the devaluing of cup competitions stop? theoretically, why even bother playing cup matches any more, they, all the ko rounds, could all be sorted on just one day by having penalty shootouts, instead of actually playing any matches , could even decide the winners by just having a penalty shootout final without playing a match first

Last edited:
I fancy an ( unlikely) away win - old fashioned smash n grab would be great :)

Feeling oddly confident. Bristol City won't sit with 10 players behind the ball giving our attack the space to play the way we want. Hopefully a win and a confidence boost going into the weekend, although City looked decent in pre season (against our second string, admittedly).

Am I right in thinking there's no way to watch this one online?

Feeling oddly confident. Bristol City won't sit with 10 players behind the ball giving our attack the space to play the way we want. Hopefully a win and a confidence boost going into the weekend, although City looked decent in pre season (against our second string, admittedly).

Am I right in thinking there's no way to watch this one online?
Not this season. but from next season Sky will be showing All 93 Carabao Cup matches

Any reason this game is on Wednesday rather than today?

Was looking at how they approached the League Cup last year under Pearson, and Brizzle looked like they took it fairly seriously. Made five changes from their team the previous weekend - mostly the same defense, but rotated the forwards.

Guess they'll do something similar tomorrow, so they'll be a handful. Suspect we'll see Dickie (who started on the weekend) and Sykes (who came on as a sub). But Atkinson is still on the road to recovery from his ACL injury. Probably see frickin' Mehmeti as well (the good one that they signed from Wycombe, not our one!)

Suspect we might play Stevens, McGuane and Mills in place of Long, McEachran and Tyler. They're going to be important squad members, so we should be getting them some game time early.

Back
Top Bottom