30/07/2022 - L1: Derby County v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was you the guy in blue shorts that pulled by the sniffer dogs? If so, you looked the least looking drug baron ever!!

Thought you had dog treats in your pocket, but very apt that you had a pint of pedigree once you got into the ground🤣🤣 That’s if it was you!

Fingers crossed Oxford can winalot of games this season! 😣😳

Eastwood had an average game.

However, we try to play out and want to build from the back. If that's the style and philosophy, Eastwood is not that keeper. We need a keeper who is good with his feet, confident and brave.

The Derby keeper was that. MK Dons have a keeper like that. It's the modern style.

I hope to god, McGinty is that too. Surely Stevens is off, having been given #1 during the summer.

If Jack had been in goal, a few could present the XGoT stats including berating him for conceding from 25 yards, regardless of the quality of the strike.

Disappointing to read the comment from a poster (but 100% accurate) that the eleven starting yesterday had one new player, who looks the part and huge improvement on LM. My initial reaction is the manager, despite my confidence in him to address problem areas, has yet to do so. That will be his downfall.

To end, Derby until the last 10 minutes, were absolutely no better than we were. We had been pretty comfortable, just not threatening up top. Our press would be good if others contributed to the 2nd and 3rd man press started by Matty.

So back to the rumours of an off field new starter, will it be a senior figure to take MD or DoF or will it be some quality to our coaching department?
Did Eastwood kick the ball straight into touch yesterday, as is Stevens annoying habit? Happy to be corrected but nothing untoward stood out to me about his distribution and I thought he had a decent game.

Did Eastwood kick the ball straight into touch yesterday, as is Stevens annoying habit? Happy to be corrected but nothing untoward stood out to me about his distribution and I thought he had a decent game.
Eastwood was for me a massive weak link. His selection was a strange one, perhaps Stevens is on the way out? But with two goalkeepers who can play from the back, we select the third one who can't, yet tactically, still trying to?

Last edited:
Eastwood- 6
Long - 6
Moore - 7
Findlay - 6.5
Seddon - 5
McGuane - 8
Brannagan - 6
Henry - 6
Bodin - 6
Browne - 6
Taylor - 5.5

If we’re going to bring on a sub like Murphy it would help to give him the ball occasionally.
Always seemed that when he was in space and Moore had the ball he would play it out to the left

Last edited:
Eastwood had an average game.

However, we try to play out and want to build from the back. If that's the style and philosophy, Eastwood is not that keeper. We need a keeper who is good with his feet, confident and brave.

The Derby keeper was that. MK Dons have a keeper like that. It's the modern style.

I hope to god, McGinty is that too. Surely Stevens is off, having been given #1 during the summer.

If Jack had been in goal, a few could present the XGoT stats including berating him for conceding from 25 yards, regardless of the quality of the strike.

Disappointing to read the comment from a poster (but 100% accurate) that the eleven starting yesterday had one new player, who looks the part and huge improvement on LM. My initial reaction is the manager, despite my confidence in him to address problem areas, has yet to do so. That will be his downfall.

To end, Derby until the last 10 minutes, were absolutely no better than we were. We had been pretty comfortable, just not threatening up top. Our press would be good if others contributed to the 2nd and 3rd man press started by Matty.

So back to the rumours of an off field new starter, will it be a senior figure to take MD or DoF or will it be some quality to our coaching department?
It showed that when Sykes scored last season. The season before i didn’t think he was that good.
Easty passed the ball out to his defence and sometimes he was put under pressure with a pass back and he was closed down so the obvious thing to was to lump it up forward.

Eastwood was for me a massive weak link. His selection was a strange one, perhaps Stevens is on the way out? But with two goalkeepers who can play from the back, we select the third one who can't, yet tactically, still trying to?
Neither Eastwood or Stevens are great with their kicking, but Stevens is by far worse than Eastwood at it.

The goal is Gorrin’s fault. He’s like a 7 year old charging out to the ball instead of staying in position. KR right to blame him in his Radio Oxford interview but should’ve also took responsibility given it was his sub.
Sorry if I appear to be a bit thick, but how is the goal Gorrin's fault. I have just seen the highlights and I can't see how he was to blame. It was Findlay who gave the ball away. I'm not saying Gorrin wasn't at fault, it just that I can't see it.

Neither Eastwood or Stevens are great with their kicking, but Stevens is by far worse than Eastwood at it.
Going to have to disagree with this. While Stevens is prone to wild long balls into the stands (as is Eastwood but less frequently), he can at least control it and pass out from the back in a controlled manner. Contrast this with Eastwood. Everytime Eastwood received the ball, the slightest pressure, and it was poorly controlled, with the passing rushed and aimless.

Going to have to disagree with this. While Stevens is prone to wild long balls into the stands (as is Eastwood but less frequently), he can at least control it and pass out from the back in a controlled manner. Contrast this with Eastwood. Everytime Eastwood received the ball, the slightest pressure, and it was poorly controlled, with the passing rushed and aimless.
in his defence he hs had to adjust his game and in previous seasons has shown that he had, his edge of the box positioning just one example.

he came in last season had a fair game (did nothing wrong) but for some reason that i still cannot fathom was axed.

Two people have given Seddon man of the match. I assume that’s a joke? If not, I’d love to hear the justification.
Yes , sorry he is not up too, the job and can not see how KR does not see this. OK it was not his mistake that cost us the match yesterday but l feel he will lose us points over the season .

Yes , sorry he is not up too, the job and can not see how KR does not see this. OK it was not his mistake that cost us the match yesterday but l feel he will lose us points over the season .
Previous - Sean Clare. Everyone and his dog could see it - took KR a lot longer before he would act.

Going to have to disagree with this. While Stevens is prone to wild long balls into the stands (as is Eastwood but less frequently), he can at least control it and pass out from the back in a controlled manner.
Yep. Stevens isn’t great at hitting the ball 40/50 yards towards the touchline but his control and short passing is generally very good. Whenever he’s warming up with the outfield subs at half time he’s noticeably comfortable on the ball. That’s why Aston Villa tried to buy him a year ago and why Arsenal spent last season sending a scout to watch him repeatedly - most PL and Championship teams don’t want their keepers kicking the ball long unless it’s a last resort. It’s not an issue for them whether he’s any good at clipping a ball towards the halfway line for a full back to compete for in the air.

It was Findlays fault, a poor pass. The worrying thing is he did it another two times after the goal. The Derby players anticipated all of them which suggests to me he's been playing a slower game in the states. He'll need to get that part of his game sorted ASAP. Apart from that I thought he had a very good game.
Overall, we just seemed to pick up where we left off at the end of last season. We lost our way when Baldock got injured and we just haven't been able to get going since. Slow ponderous play, bereft of creative ideas easy to play against. Taylor isolated almost the whole game.
I would like us to bring in a partner for Taylor and bring in the appropriate players so we can switch to a 3-5-2 or permutations of it. At the moment it's still very one dimensional.

I’ve accounted for that. I’m not saying this isn’t a problem. But I don’t think it’s a factor in why we lost the game. He made the common sense substitutions that most managers would’ve made at that point to get a draw. We need players but it’s funny how a really positive couple of weeks for us suddenly goes up in smoke because of a defeat we could easily still have got with a full compliment of players.
It really isn't that, as most fans accept that with a full squad, and the correct players brought in, we can still make something of the season. It was the nature of how we lost and really surrendered a point. Taking off the one player who was superb, in McGuane, was wrong. The players looking tired was another thing that pee'd fans off.

If we had a full compliment of players then there would have been real options on the bench, that genuinely could have changed things, but because of the state of the squad there wasn't.

To then hear kr on the radio not seeing that the defence needs a LB and RB, was insane, especially after how poor Seddon was yesterday defensively yesterday.

It really isn't that, as most fans accept that with a full squad, and the correct players brought in, we can still make something of the season. It was the nature of how we lost and really surrendered a point. Taking off the one player who was superb, in McGuane, was wrong. The players looking tired was another thing that pee'd fans off.

If we had a full compliment of players then there would have been real options on the bench, that genuinely could have changed things, but because of the state of the squad there wasn't.

To then hear kr on the radio not seeing that the defence needs a LB and RB, was insane, especially after how poor Seddon was yesterday defensively yesterday.
Fully concur with most of that and have said similar. We gave them the game which is really my only disappointment but we’re giving Derby far more credit than they deserve and very little to our team who gave a really good account of themselves. The squad depth prevented us being able to take the game to them 2nd half but it’s not why we lost.

McGuane didn’t go off but yes Gorrin coming on didn’t help us at all. Not sure about KR’s post match comments re transfers but I try not to take him literally as he has a habit of saying something one day and something totally different within a few days. He could easily review this game and feel we need something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom