30/07/2022 - L1: Derby County v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tough defeat to take, but there were a lot of positives from the first 70 minutes. Depth a HUGE issue and feels like it's cost us at least a point today as we couldn't change anything to give ourselves the chance to equalise. Subs killed our attacking momentum and invited them onto us and they deservedly scored.

135 points to play for, COYY!

They were definitely better in the second half, but that goal was saveable. Also it was due to an individual error and I think on another day it could easily have been 0-0. Disappointed but not distraught. I will never ever understand why any team gives away silly fouls in added time. Surely you want to do your best not to foul (and even invite pressure to hit on the counter). I hate this feeling, but it will dissipate slowly through the evening. We held our own (for about 60-70 mins at least) against one of the promotion favourites. Let's see how we do against the smaller clubs like Morecambe and Plymouth before we judge our season.

including PSFs thats 4 games with out a goal scored- firing blanks isn't good

A good game, we played well. We lost the game from the substitutions. Bodin was class and we changed it but we didn’t keep the pressure on. Sorry Gorrin but you had a nightmare. Why do we try to hold on to a draw when we are on top? Taylor was knackered he should have come off.

Also, just a little point: Gorrin came on and made us immediately worse. McGuane was MOTM for me. He had a better game today, than Gorrin has ever had. Mcguane was superb. No way Gorrin starts ahead of him. No. Way!

Last edited:
Feel a bit deflated with that 2nd half performance. Completely ran out of ideas and options. Crazy for Taylor to be our only striker at the season’s start.

Lots of work to do for Robinson and the recruitment team.

Think KR was trying to be a smart a**e in hindsight with that lightweight bench, one game doesn't make a season, but if there was ever a time to face Derby it was now, new additions still needed.

Decent enough performance but didnt create enough. Would like us to bring in a striker who can hold the ball up (doesnt fall over) and allow the midfield to move up the field. Think we can improve on our full backs albeit both were ok today.

• React
Reactions: sox
Disappointing that.

For the first 60 minutes, I thought it was a pretty even game. But after that, we failed to create anything......barely got the ball into their third, in fact. Couldn't string passes together, movement was pretty limited and it felt like we were just hanging on. Derby deserved winners in the end.

And it really, really emphasized how thin our squad is. With five subs now, the bench is crucially important. And Matty T in particular looked absolutely spent.....but we only had kids to bring on who KR (not unreasonably) didn't want to risk in that sort of environment. We've discussed at length what players we need - and I think we're almost in agreement now on the transfers thread - but we need to do it with urgency. Because points in August count, and we can't afford to fall too far behind in a really strong league.

Goal was depressingly familiar as well - opponent in miles of space to pick his spot from 20 yards. Feels like half the goals we conceded last season.

Pluses - Findlay looked outstanding right up until he gave the ball away for the goal. He and Moore are going to be a great partnership at this level; McGuane worked really hard and contributed well defensively; Bodin, Browne and Cam had some nice touches.

But Steve Seddon? Sorry, not good enough for a team with eyes on the playoffs (nevermind promotion). You simply cannot allow players to get in behind you as often as he does. I've seen some criticisms of Sam Long, but actually I thought he did fine defensively - almost nothing came down his side all game. But time after time after time, there were players in space down their right. We do need a RB for depth, but we also need a LB for quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom