Current Player #3 Ciaron Brown

Brilliant, I thought he did really well in what was a short period for us. Got stronger the more he played, a bit more of a bruiser than a cultured player, which is what I think we were missing earlier on in the season. Didn't look out of place at leftback or leftwing back. I'm still hoping we sign Cadden as first choice left back/wing back.

I can see Brown being useful in a back three. He’s far from a bad player.

The flip side to me is why assemble more or less the same squad that wasn’t good enough to make the playoffs last season and expect a different result? We’ve tied down some reliable performers and need to balance that with alternative talent with different skill sets in the squad. Brown is fine but good enough to be firing us into the top two?

Also, you’re likely to lose him from time to time to Northern Ireland duties. Whilst I enjoy the pride of seeing our players turn out on the international stage, at our level this can lead to games piling up elsewhere. I’d rather get games played on a regular basis than the missed Saturdays that teams in League 1 with international players occasionally experience.

I said this earlier in the month and it still stands.

Building the same team as last year and expecting a different result won’t work.

Brown is reasonable enough but we need more. Otherwise it’s another season of the same again.

Conceded too many goals last season and Brown was part of that defence not a improvement squad player.

I said this earlier in the month and it still stands.

Building the same team as last year and expecting a different result won’t work.

Brown is reasonable enough but we need more. Otherwise it’s another season of the same again.
Well, the season doesn't start tomorrow, plenty of time for strengthening

Brilliant, I thought he did really well in what was a short period for us. Got stronger the more he played, a bit more of a bruiser than a cultured player, which is what I think we were missing earlier on in the season. Didn't look out of place at leftback or leftwing back. I'm still hoping we sign Cadden as first choice left back/wing back.

I think Brown was also up against it initially due to the reported negative feedback from Cardiff fans and also the late timing of his signing.

So effectively a player who felt (to some) a bit like a desperate last minute signing - with far from glowing reviews - had to do a fair bit more to win us over, which I think he did.

If he'd been signed mid-January and felt 'hand picked' I think he'd have been warmed to even quicker.

Now he's been signed for 2 years fairly early, and having seen him with our own eyes, he has every chance of doing very well here.

I'm really happy with Ciaron Brown. I'm not sure where the criticism of him in defence is coming from. His biggest defensive error he made up for immediately by sprinting back and clearing the ball off the line. Another one I can think of was a defensive header (on the back foot) that dropped into the huge hole our CDMs leave in front of the defence, for someone to put away. I'm not sure you can blame those ones on the defence.

On the other hand, along with solid defending at left back, Brown provided some of our most promising attacking moves by making strong midfield headers from goal kicks. This was a nice alternative to others who played like wingbacks in the role because it gave us progress up the pitch without leaving the left back way out of position.

Back
Top Bottom