Home Match Day Thread +++ 29/10/19 League Cup OUFC v Sunderland +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a fun evening, even if it wasnt a great performance, particularly enjoyed seeing Mous walk onto the pitch in the 93rd minute knowing full well that he has a penalty kick on him that could break a mans leg.

I think we played ok and were relatively in control for most of the match. Sunderland were more sustained in their pressure whereas we were quite content to play our normal game of knocking it around and letting a space open up.

Hall is looking more like his old self but barely saw him in our own half unless at set pieces, hopefully Chris Short can have him fully up to speed in the next month. Sam Long my MOM for having to cover the majority of the right flank by himself when defending.

Baptiste really wasnt having a good game. I was surprised that KR left him and Hall on after 60 mins, but I can see why with keeping one eye on Saturday. We were calling out for subs from that point onwards. Hopefully he finds his groove again as hes looked a little out of place since West Ham.

Not seen massive amounts of praise for Moore on here but thought he was very assured. Very good signs if he and Dickie get some game time alongside each other. Moore is solid at the back winning a hell of a lot of headers with Dickie able to bring it out from the back makes a very solid base. Gorrin maybe not his best performance but wasnt helped much by those in front of him.

Of course we missed Brannagan but I have a feeling this would have been the line up we played anyway. Think our poor performance was more down to Baptiste never really being in the game and them winning the midfield battle as opposed to missing CB. Still, we won a game a year ago we wouldnt have won a year ago and look how much it meant to the players. What a special season this could be.
good overview..... at one point during the second half it looked if Sykes was likely to be introduced ( he was vigourously warming up - though he may ve been feeling the cold!) presumably to replace Hall?

Has anyone seen Will Grigg's penalty? Is it in orbit with the one Tom Craddock took years ago?

And has Phil Parkinson stopped complaining? I refer to the incident where Rodriguez was taken out off the ball to stop a breal and the Ref just demurred on doing anything about it? Or is it only their lack of fouls he was interested in?

good overview..... at one point during the second half it looked if Sykes was likely to be introduced ( he was vigourously warming up - though he may ve been feeling the cold!) presumably to replace Hall?

Yeah I had spotted that too he went sprinting back to the technical area and it was about 15 minutes until something happened. Very frustrating to watch as the game was slipping away from us but the last thing we need is an injury to Sykes before Saturday.

Right choice in the end but I dont think we'd be watching penalties if Sykes had come on for Hall and Mous had come on for Baptiste to organise us a bit better.

And has Phil Parkinson stopped complaining? I refer to the incident where Rodriguez was taken out off the ball to stop a breal and the Ref just demurred on doing anything about it? Or is it only their lack of fouls he was interested in?

I think he's that kind of manager - "should have 2 penalties" a game and "it's all the ref's fault". Put him in the Warnock/Moyes/Hughes camp.

Very good post Jal - Dickie, Moore and Long were excellent - not just individually but as a unit they had good chemistry. What a difference from earlier in the season.
Why are you leaving Ruffels out of your excellent comment category unless you want to put him in the outstanding category.

Why are you leaving Ruffels out of your excellent comment category unless you want to put him in the outstanding category.
Because it was more a comment about new combinations / people coming in. I would say though that they looked more dangerous down his side.

Has anyone seen Will Grigg's penalty? Is it in orbit with the one Tom Craddock took years ago?

I think it just bumped into Chris Waddle's from Italia 90......

From where I was sat it was a fantastic save, pushing a well struck shot arrowing towards the top corner away with both hands.

As an exile who therefore was watching online......TV replays showed clearly that Baptiste struck it really well, but it wasn't in the corner - was basically straight down the middle where the goalie was standing. Either side, and he would have had no chance.

Very good post Jal - Dickie, Moore and Long were excellent - not just individually but as a unit they had good chemistry. What a difference from earlier in the season.

Moore was great but I don’t know why it was that an awful lot of his headers were going upwards and with limited distance. Good that he’s getting there first but just needs to time it better.

In fairness I didnt talk about Ruffs in my initial post. He had a solid game but was targeted and so couldn't have the freedom he normally does. One drive in particular in the second half was very good but he didnt stand out particularly last night. Standard Josh Ruffels performance really, maybe a little less composed than we've seen him in recent weeks but our entire team had an off day.

Bit of an exaggeration to say he was outstanding yesterday.

Moore was great but I don’t know why it was that an awful lot of his headers were going upwards and with limited distance. Good that he’s getting there first but just needs to time it better.

You say that but most of his headers went to the flanks or into the space where Fosu/Hall should be - exactly where they need to go. I cant remember if it was Fleetwood or Blackpool where he made some very questionable decisions while heading the ball. Let's not the forget hes a young man adapting to English football after 2 years away. Comparing him last night to him in August, we're seeing a very talented young defender who isn't just playing well but is learning all the time.

Yes Moore is improving and is starting to look very solid.
West Ham, Rotherham and yesterday he has played against decent forwards and has played very well in each game.

Some of the headers out of the box are deliberately looped up and away to give our players extra moments to get to the clearance.

I think it was £15K for the winners. net gate receipts after expenses shared 45:45.
I don't know how much if anything we get for overseas broadcast. Or how much there is potentially for a next round tie on tv.
According to a Daily Express article on 24 Sep 2019, prize money in the Carabao Cup is only awarded from the semi finals onwards. Losing semi finalists get £25,000 each, losing finalists £50,000 and winners £100,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom