Current Player #25 Will Goodwin

We had weeks of "Tool Downing-gate" where everyone was questioning who had given up playing for Des and why. And at the same time, we have Tyler Burey who has barely been involved and has been to fewer games since Valentines Day than Stanley Mills!

He has no interest in playing for the club, that ship has long since sailed.
Interesting

You can always rely on this forum to bring the mood down after winning the 1st leg of a play off semi final :ROFLMAO:

Goodwin hasn't had the impact that the club may have hoped for this season but he was signed for the long term project. They clearly haven't felt the need to rush him back either and it is probably better to let a player build his fitness up rather than throw them into a play off promotion push.

The club could have pulled the plug on the signing after noticing the injury but clearly felt he was worth still signing.

For those who keep saying about the £400K fee, unfortunately, that isn't a massive fee these days in football terms for a league 1 striker.
This is spot on, and I reckon whatever happens this season we will need to spend on another striker in terms of wages or transfer fees as this season has proved to us that we need 3 options.

And @dickwalton1964 even mentioned Max Woltman and the fact we've spent £200k on him further up the thread.

I thought everyone understood he was signed as a development player 🤷‍♂️

Which again, gives us an indication of the current owners and backers commitment to the club over a longer term. We may well see that Woltman has a "breakthrough" season next year....who knows! It would be exciting if he did though, wouldn't it? And equally exciting if a fully fit Goodwin is added into that equation too.

You can always rely on this forum to bring the mood down after winning the 1st leg of a play off semi final :ROFLMAO:

Goodwin hasn't had the impact that the club may have hoped for this season but he was signed for the long term project. They clearly haven't felt the need to rush him back either and it is probably better to let a player build his fitness up rather than throw them into a play off promotion push.

The club could have pulled the plug on the signing after noticing the injury but clearly felt he was worth still signing.

For those who keep saying about the £400K fee, unfortunately, that isn't a massive fee these days in football terms for a league 1 striker.
My main concern with Goodwin, aside from the pretty poor injury record he has at such a young age (just this season he's had 3/4 separate injuries), is if we get promoted then the whole signing is potentially redundant. We'd need an upgrade for him 6 months after buying him.

I agree.
He seems to be over-rated as some sort of saviour. Although we obviously don’t KNOW, it appears his attitude is poor (as it was at his previous clubs) and we don’t want that in a tightly knit group of players desperate for good results.
As Joey says, he looked good in flashes (eg 20 minutes in Bristol) but his positional play was poor and he made no attempt to defend for the team.
I think he’s one we file under “Tried it, failed. No thank you.”
That’s factually incorrect as I remember him tracking back well on a few occasions and commenting on that to someone I was watching with.

There seems to be some revisionism going on here as, at the time, most people on here said he looked promising and played pretty well. Ruben Rodrigues, for example, has had a run of 3-4 games where he’s looked way worse than Burey did for us. Now he’s been frozen out it’s easier to say that he was never good I suppose, in the same way I admit it’s tempting to overhype him now he’s not available.

But if his attitude is so terrible that he can’t in any way be reintegrated to the squad then that’s fine, it is what it is. Given that posters on here already knew about it from previous clubs apparently, I’m surprised and disappointed that our recruitment team didn’t also know about it and steer well clear of him… has to be chalked up as a failing on their part if so?

My main concern with Goodwin, aside from the pretty poor injury record he has at such a young age (just this season he's had 3/4 separate injuries), is if we get promoted then the whole signing is potentially redundant. We'd need an upgrade for him 6 months after buying him.

Some league one players can play in the championship, you don’t need to change the entire squad. Ipswich had a fair few do quite well this season.

That’s factually incorrect as I remember him tracking back well on a few occasions and commenting on that to someone I was watching with.

There seems to be some revisionism going on here as, at the time, most people on here said he looked promising and played pretty well. Ruben Rodrigues, for example, has had a run of 3-4 games where he’s looked way worse than Burey did for us. Now he’s been frozen out it’s easier to say that he was never good I suppose, in the same way I admit it’s tempting to overhype him now he’s not available.

But if his attitude is so terrible that he can’t in any way be reintegrated to the squad then that’s fine, it is what it is. Given that posters on here already knew about it from previous clubs apparently, I’m surprised and disappointed that our recruitment team didn’t also know about it and steer well clear of him… has to be chalked up as a failing on their part if so?

I thought he worked quite hard, had good pace but didn’t see a lot of end product, a fairly typical young winger. Something there but not what you would call completely ready.

Didn’t actually realise he was still here, another one to go on the strange signing list, the player a lot of people thought had left butis apparently still training, doesn’t feature and apparently doesn’t even come to the games.

I thought he worked quite hard, had good pace but didn’t see a lot of end product, a fairly typical young winger. Something there but not what you would call completely ready.

Didn’t actually realise he was still here, another one to go on the strange signing list, the player a lot of people thought had left butis apparently still training, doesn’t feature and apparently doesn’t even come to the games.
I thought with Burey (as with quite a few wingers) that his biggest asset was his unpredictability, coupled with some genuine pace and modicum of footballing ability (yes I remember him tracking back too).

However, if that unpredictability and an inability to take instruction makes him virtually impossible to coach, then he would quite possibly become a liability to the team in the long run. What is very clear about our squad is that they are all (now, eventually) on the same wavelength and are just about greater than the sum of their parts (concerns about imbalance and threadbare cover aside). If you add one player who is not of that mindset into this equation, it can become really unsettling and undo a lot of the good stuff the Buckingham has finally achieved with this squad.

It's pure supposition on my part, but it would be too big a risk for me and maybe the management and squad feel the same way.

I thought with Burey (as with quite a few wingers) that his biggest asset was his unpredictability, coupled with some genuine pace and modicum of footballing ability (yes I remember him tracking back too).

However, if that unpredictability and an inability to take instruction makes him virtually impossible to coach, then he would quite possibly become a liability to the team in the long run. What is very clear about our squad is that they are all (now, eventually) on the same wavelength and are just about greater than the sum of their parts (concerns about imbalance and threadbare cover aside). If you add one player who is not of that mindset into this equation, it can become really unsettling and undo a lot of the good stuff the Buckingham has finally achieved with this squad.

It's pure supposition on my part, but it would be too big a risk for me and maybe the management and squad feel the same way.
He’s clearly been suspended or fired due to something specific he did. if it was just performance issues I’m sure we’d see him on the bench occasionally at least

He’s clearly been suspended or fired due to something specific he did. if it was just performance issues I’m sure we’d see him on the bench occasionally at least
But he’s apparently in training still. Isn’t that at least odd for the team? If he beats a man and bangs a shot in the top corner does Des just cough, everyone moves on and at the end of the session Burey says ‘Well, good luck on Saturday lads, I won’t be there obviously but I’ll see you next session?’

The people claiming to be ‘ITK’ and saying it isn’t strange at all are ignoring basic human nature and psychology. It must be at least somewhat strange and awkward for the the players and staff…?

But he’s apparently in training still. Isn’t that at least odd for the team? If he beats a man and bangs a shot in the top corner does Des just cough, everyone moves on and at the end of the session Burey says ‘Well, good luck on Saturday lads, I won’t be there obviously but I’ll see you next session?’

The people claiming to be ‘ITK’ and saying it isn’t strange at all are ignoring basic human nature and psychology. It must be at least somewhat strange and awkward for the the players and staff…?
I didn’t realise he was training. Then it’s odd that he’s not even in contention

Surely we fans have a right to know whats going on? If a player has been fired or suspended then to not update the fans is poor. Don’t need to know the nitty gritty but something from the club to say he’s unavailable due to a disciplinary issue wouldn’t go amiss.

Surely we fans have a right to know whats going on? If a player has been fired or suspended then to not update the fans is poor. Don’t need to know the nitty gritty but something from the club to say he’s unavailable due to a disciplinary issue wouldn’t go amiss.
Why do we need to know every little detail? It has nothing to do with fans if Brurey has stepped out of line or not.
He isn’t getting picked and it isnt affecting the players performing on the pitch.

Some league one players can play in the championship, you don’t need to change the entire squad. Ipswich had a fair few do quite well this season.
I didn't say anything about 'changing the entire squad', but if we got promotion we wouldn't go into next season with Harris and Goodwin as our 2 strikers. We'd bring someone else in and Goodwin would be pushed down the pecking order.

Ipswich were a Championship squad in L1. Our squad is nowhere near what Ipswich's was.

• React
Reactions: Nox
There are only so many places on the bench and in the starting line up. We have to trust that the best squad is being picked for the day with even some previous favourites not starting.

Why do we need to know every little detail? It has nothing to do with fans if Brurey has stepped out of line or not.
He isn’t getting picked and it isnt affecting the players performing on the pitch.

I don't want to seem pedantic here, but doesn't "Don’t need to know the nitty gritty" suggest that Dick doesn't need to know every little detail?

I do wish you and The Blessed Egg, best supporter evah would at least try to look like you read what people post before playing the man.

We don’t.

Burey was at least as high a profile signing as Dale was in the January window. The fact that he’s fit, apparently training and available, yet not considered raises the question - Why? We don’t need to know the finer detail but some sort of clarity from the club, if it’s disciplinary, or from the manager, if it’s tactical, would just keep us fans in the loop. On your basis, why do clubs need to say a player is injured and unavailable? Just leave it with nothing said and that the player is not getting picked and leave fans to make their own minds up.

He looked pacey but apart from the odd flash here and there I don't think he looked good, I was always surprised so many people thought this. For every good run he'd have half an hour or more of anonymous play, shirking challenges and contributing nothing. Pace is fine but we don't need passengers.

Hey! You leave Marcus Browne out of this!

We don’t.

Burey was at least as high a profile signing as Dale was in the January window. The fact that he’s fit, apparently training and available, yet not considered raises the question - Why? We don’t need to know the finer detail but some sort of clarity from the club, if it’s disciplinary, or from the manager, if it’s tactical, would just keep us fans in the loop. On your basis, why do clubs need to say a player is injured and unavailable? Just leave it with nothing said and that the player is not getting picked and leave fans to make their own minds up.
Back when he was first left out, BBC Oxford did ask and apparently it was because "other players were ahead of him based on performances in training". I'd assume that would be the answer now too. That could be cover up for disciplinary issues, or personal issues, or perhaps Buckingham just doesn't rate him, but it's an answer of sorts and an understandable one from the clubs point of view. Similar to Perkins, they don't want to publicly criticise an on loan player, as it might make clubs wary of loaning us players in the future. If it is disciplinary/personal then keeping it in house for Burey's benefit is also sensible.

Back
Top Bottom