Current Player #25 Will Goodwin

The science suggested he had a quad injury that could potentially become a long term issue .It now has become a long term problem .
No, Cheltenham played him to death when he wasn’t 100% fit, they didn’t have any other options, we are taking the correct approach and nursing him back to full fitness, now if that takes an extra 2-3 months for longer term gain then nothing wrong with that.

Just to accentuate my point from earlier.

If, Heaven forbid, we end up going to extra time on Wednesday - Peterborough will be able to replace their front three which whichever of Mothersile/Jade-Jones/Ajiboye/Poku/Jonson-Harris don't start (I presume Mason-Clark will start). OK, some of those options come with question marks but they will at least have fresh legs up front for the entire 120 minutes. Bolton will be the same if we face them in the final.

We, on the other hand, will be able to bring on Marcus Browne to replace one of the front three; we can bring on Greg Leigh (nominally our left back) to replace another but one member of our front three will have to stay on the pitch for two hours. Even if they've run themselves into the ground.....as we would like them to in an ideal world because we know that Peterborough are susceptible to a consistent high press.

Honestly, I think our only viable strategy for Wednesday (and indeed for the Final if we get there) is to make sure we're ahead at 70 minutes and hang on. Because we don't have options to come off the bench and change it if we're not.

That's not the fault of the coaching staff or the players - it's just the same problem we've had all season of bad squad construction leaving us to play the most important games of the season with basically only four forwards for three spots plus some makeshift pieces. And, yes, some of that is legacy held over from Robinson, and some of that is decisions that Manning made.....but some of it is also the fact that, as a club, we made a rickets of the January window as well!

Just to accentuate my point from earlier.

If, Heaven forbid, we end up going to extra time on Wednesday - Peterborough will be able to replace their front three which whichever of Mothersile/Jade-Jones/Ajiboye/Poku/Jonson-Harris don't start (I presume Mason-Clark will start). OK, some of those options come with question marks but they will at least have fresh legs up front for the entire 120 minutes. Bolton will be the same if we face them in the final.

We, on the other hand, will be able to bring on Marcus Browne to replace one of the front three; we can bring on Greg Leigh (nominally our left back) to replace another but one member of our front three will have to stay on the pitch for two hours. Even if they've run themselves into the ground.....as we would like them to in an ideal world because we know that Peterborough are susceptible to a consistent high press.

Honestly, I think our only viable strategy for Wednesday (and indeed for the Final if we get there) is to make sure we're ahead at 70 minutes and hang on. Because we don't have options to come off the bench and change it if we're not.

That's not the fault of the coaching staff or the players - it's just the same problem we've had all season of bad squad construction leaving us to play the most important games of the season with basically only four forwards for three spots plus some makeshift pieces. And, yes, some of that is legacy held over from Robinson, and some of that is decisions that Manning made.....but some of it is also the fact that, as a club, we made a rickets of the January window as well!

Burey is another attacking option.

Has he been sighted anywhere near Oxford in the past six weeks? I figured he was back in Denmark or wherever by now......
He was in a recent training montage so still around the club. However he hasn't attended any games in months to my knowledge.

Honestly, I think our only viable strategy for Wednesday (and indeed for the Final if we get there) is to make sure we're ahead at 70 minutes and hang on. Because we don't have options to come off the bench and change it

Agree. Sums it up. It's such a shame we don't have a fit, pacy, maybe strong attacking player to bring on after 75 because right now they just have to wear us down and we'll have no threat after that.

Bookmark this. I'd love to be pilloried after we sneak through.

It's entirely possible to quantify. We wanted Goodwin to give us a promotion. push. Yet without him we have had a promotion push! His absence has not changed our outcome at this stage.

I really do hope that he comes good next season and I guess only time will tell if he does prove to be a good signing.

I understand your comment about the fact that we are still in the promotion race without him, so in that sense no harm done, but I still think his absence has made the journey here more tricky and may potentially harm the outcome.

With a fit and goal scoring Goodwin for the 2nd half of the season (which is what he was also signed for) then there is every chance we would have had the luxury to rest and rotate players for the final 3 to 4 games rather than go to Exeter in need of a win. That in itself may be the difference, but we will never know.

The signing certainly hasn’t gone to plan, but I agree that it is impossible to say with any conviction (at this stage) if it has been a reckless waste of money.

He will need every ounce of support from us because I expect the pressure on him to perform once he is injury free will be huge.

Fingers crossed he shows us what he can do in the Championship 🙂

Last edited:
When I say a development signing, meaning he could be one for the future and develop into exactly what we want to build our attacks around. He is only 21, the same age as Negru and only a year older than Woltman so yes, he could also be put into the same bracket as them. We paid 200k for Woltman but no one has questioned his lack of minutes this season.
You might be right but we needed someone ASAP. As ever though I suspect it’s cockup, or just bad luck, rather than conspiracy

Burey is another attacking option.
The whole Burey situation is insane - insane!

He’s fit. He’s training with the club. We are in desperate need of replacements for our wide players and striker. Burey did well when he played for us and looked sharp, and pacey.

The only possible explanation is that he said something when he was taken off at half time in that game. Des then decided to make an example of him.

But couldn’t both parties come together, Burey make a grovelling apology in front of the whole squad and everyone draw a line under it, and we could have one other attacking player with pace on the bench apart from Browne?! It would be both in his and our interests…

He’s fit. He’s training with the club. We are in desperate need of replacements for our wide players and striker. Burey did well when he played for us and looked sharp, and pacey.

The only possible explanation is that he said something when he was taken off at half time in that game. Des then decided to make an example of him.

But couldn’t both parties come together, Burey make a grovelling apology in front of the whole squad and everyone draw a line under it, and we could have one other attacking player with pace on the bench apart from Browne?! It would be both in his and our interests…
We are about to play a massive game in the clubs history, the team don’t need any distractions. There is no good to come from trying to reintroduce a player into the squad that hasn’t towed the line for this long.

If he wants one of his over seas trips, now is the time to actually ask for permission (which would make a change).

We had weeks of "Tool Downing-gate" where everyone was questioning who had given up playing for Des and why. And at the same time, we have Tyler Burey who has barely been involved and has been to fewer games since Valentines Day than Stanley Mills!

He has no interest in playing for the club, that ship has long since sailed.

Burey did well when he played for us and looked sharp, and pacey.
He looked pacey but apart from the odd flash here and there I don't think he looked good, I was always surprised so many people thought this. For every good run he'd have half an hour or more of anonymous play, shirking challenges and contributing nothing. Pace is fine but we don't need passengers.
It's not the only explanation. His attitude isn't right and he isn't very good, it's fairly straight forwards. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was discussed in the summer as most of the "bad attitude" chat seemed to revolve around him sweating at Millwall fans after being racially abused, I thought fair play to him. Now he's here it turns out he does have a bad attitude and nowhere near the talent to overcome it. I'd be delighted if he came into the fold and got us up but that's a triumph of hope over expectation.

It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from this point. He's 23 now so not a real young gun and he still has a couple of years left on his contract at Odense who don't seem to want him.

Yes but he clearly won't be in the squad.

You’re right, he won’t. I’m just pointing out that he is an option and is fit, so it isn’t just Marcus Browne we have to change things out wide. The manager doesn’t rate him - or want him - and that’s fair enough but that doesn’t alter the fact that he’s a player who’s played the majority of his football at championship level, is currently contracted to us and is currently fit - to that end he remains a valid option. That’s the only thing I’m pointing out.

He looked pacey but apart from the odd flash here and there I don't think he looked good, I was always surprised so many people thought this. For every good run he'd have half an hour or more of anonymous play, shirking challenges and contributing nothing. Pace is fine but we don't need passengers.

It's not the only explanation. His attitude isn't right and he isn't very good, it's fairly straight forwards. I gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was discussed in the summer as most of the "bad attitude" chat seemed to revolve around him sweating at Millwall fans after being racially abused, I thought fair play to him. Now he's here it turns out he does have a bad attitude and nowhere near the talent to overcome it. I'd be delighted if he came into the fold and got us up but that's a triumph of hope over expectation.

It'll be interesting to see where his career goes from this point. He's 23 now so not a real young gun and he still has a couple of years left on his contract at Odense who don't seem to want him.
I agree.
He seems to be over-rated as some sort of saviour. Although we obviously don’t KNOW, it appears his attitude is poor (as it was at his previous clubs) and we don’t want that in a tightly knit group of players desperate for good results.
As Joey says, he looked good in flashes (eg 20 minutes in Bristol) but his positional play was poor and he made no attempt to defend for the team.
I think he’s one we file under “Tried it, failed. No thank you.”

I agree.
He seems to be over-rated as some sort of saviour. Although we obviously don’t KNOW, it appears his attitude is poor (as it was at his previous clubs) and we don’t want that in a tightly knit group of players desperate for good results.
As Joey says, he looked good in flashes (eg 20 minutes in Bristol) but his positional play was poor and he made no attempt to defend for the team.
And whilst Des may have chosen to "make an example of him" ( I don't think that's his style by the way), of equal importance is the way Burey interacts with the rest of the squad. It may be there are issues there, and what we have seen over the last few months is that they are a pretty tight unit as a squad. Complete supposition, but it may well be that he's not really a team player in that respect 🤷‍♂️

Anyway it is too late now for collective straw clutching on solutions to our well documented as long standing squad imbalances. We are where we are with what we've got...which is still quite an achievement.

Give it everything tomorrow night with the team and squad that got us here and then we've got a week and a half before Wembley😉

COYY!!!

Last edited:
I agree.

Ironically the one moment from Burey that stands out for me was defensively when he chased back - he hadn’t lost possession or anything - and made that great challenge on an opposition player who was breaking towards our area. Can’t remember who it was against but we were defending the fence end. Something’s obviously gone amiss somewhere though - for whatever reason it hasn’t worked.

Back
Top Bottom