Current Player #23 Josh Murphy

Who's to say that we will also continue to pay the likes of Edwards and/or Browne.
Edwards wasn't signed for the rest of this season while long term injured only to be released at the end of the season anyway. Plus, even if neither are, you still need two more wingers to cover for Murphy and his injuries, unless you decide to go with one for some games, and then we go back to square pegs in round holes like the Robinson days if they need to come off.

If those two wingers happen to be fit all the time, you're then paying Murphy for what?

Really baffles me that people are happy to slide back into the Robinson "best player on his day" mentality when talking about players.

I think we are saying "lets judge him on his merits if he gets an extended run in the team delivers what we have seen he's capable of, and we make the playoffs" That would of course also include his fitness and susceptibility to injury, and the kind of contract he sohuld be offered

Unfortunately for Browne he seems to be as brittle as a five day old French stick. If we offer him a contract, it’s likely to be a pay as you play. Not good for either party.
I’m not sure why he constantly breaks down, but perhaps the science team need to work out whether the work he does when recuperating from injuries is effecting other parts of his body.

Yeah @Berliner , can you use the dedicated Browne, Murphy and Edwards thread when discussing all three of them together, please?
I'll just copy and paste it into three threads if it's all the same with you. Sure the mods will be ecstatic with this course of action.

I think everyone is delighted Murphy played well last night and score an important goal.

Anyone now trying to point score & push the told you so agenda down our throats is stirring the pot on this thread.

Let’s hope he performs like that for the next 14 and fires us to promotion. Then we can talk about new deals.

Just as a reminder - we are in mid-February of the second year of Josh Murphy's contract with the club, and last night was his 14th league start and 1st league goal.

He has managed a total of 1,514 league minutes on the pitch. If he gives us an average of 60 minutes a game for the next 14 games this season (which would seem like a big stretch given his physical history, but we're talking wild hypotheticals here).....he'll still only end up with roughly the same minutes over the two years of his (massive) contract that Harris and RR have given us already this season. Is he more talented than Mark Harris? Probably. Who would I rather have in my squad next year? The guy who I know is going to give me 180 minutes of his best effort each week come rain or shine, please.

I hope he's great for the next two months, I really do. But even then, it would be insane to let recency bias cloud your judgement on this. He's not reliable so anything beyond a play-as-you-play contract would be madness (though I suspect some club will do it.....it just shouldn't be us)

Just as a reminder - we are in mid-February of the second year of Josh Murphy's contract with the club, and last night was his 14th league start and 1st league goal.

He has managed a total of 1,514 league minutes on the pitch. If he gives us an average of 60 minutes a game for the next 14 games this season (which would seem like a big stretch given his physical history, but we're talking wild hypotheticals here).....he'll still only end up with roughly the same minutes over the two years of his (massive) contract that Harris and RR have given us already this season. Is he more talented than Mark Harris? Probably. Who would I rather have in my squad next year? The guy who I know is going to give me 180 minutes of his best effort each week come rain or shine, please.

I hope he's great for the next two months, I really do. But even then, it would be insane to let recency bias cloud your judgement on this. He's not reliable so anything beyond a play-as-you-play contract would be madness (though I suspect some club will do it.....it just shouldn't be us)
I believe he was fit and available earlier in the season, just Manning didn't pick him. He's blossomed under Des. He's never going to be a sturdy Mark Harris, that's true, but I don't know what his likely fitness prognosis is.

How many games did Jodi Jones play for us?

Or to put it another way I don’t think we have any idea of why Murphy didn’t play for us under Robinson.

Last edited:
I'd be putting a 2 year contract on ⅓ wages stacked with performance weighted bonus in his pigeon hole tomorrow. If he likes being here then great he'll sign it, if he wants to hold out for the opportunity of more money somewhere else then that's fair enough and we'll move on.
Woah, let’s enjoy the season then see where we are!

Edwards wasn't signed for the rest of this season while long term injured only to be released at the end of the season anyway. Plus, even if neither are, you still need two more wingers to cover for Murphy and his injuries, unless you decide to go with one for some games, and then we go back to square pegs in round holes like the Robinson days if they need to come off.

If those two wingers happen to be fit all the time, you're then paying Murphy for what?

Really baffles me that people are happy to slide back into the Robinson "best player on his day" mentality when talking about players.
Agreed.
We can’t continue to sign players, register as part of the squad and then allow them to work part time .

I'd be putting a 2 year contract on ⅓ wages stacked with performance weighted bonus in his pigeon hole tomorrow. If he likes being here then great he'll sign it, if he wants to hold out for the opportunity of more money somewhere else then that's fair enough and we'll move on.
I wouldn’t commit to him for 2 weeks, let alone 2 years! Look, he’s a talented boy. We can all see in fleeting moments why he spent some time at the highest level domestically. But he’s in L1 for a reason just like all the others and I think he could consider himself incredibly fortunate to still be one next season. Unfortunate/misunderstood or not, he’s been completely unreliable under 3 managers. Though to Des’ enormous credit, he has got by far the best football out of him at a good time. Though the cynical part of any fan should be asking whether this is a coincidence with only a few months left to earn himself a living next season.

If he’s staying at this club, I want it completely on our terms and I wouldn’t commit to paying him much at all unless he’s managed a certain number of minutes and not only that, make sure those minutes are good ones and not what we saw last season - I.e. incentivise him heavily to play well and contribute with goals, assists and kilometres! Purely getting on the pitch should be deemed insufficient when we’ve got players busting lungs for us every few days while he nurses his latest injury. It’s not fair to the other players. Harris will be paid nowhere near Murphy and look at the commitment to the cause, the availability, the effort levels and more recently the numbers to go with it. Murphy is a good player, but we will be absolutely fine if he fancies it elsewhere.

In the case of all 4 or 5 of the injury prone players that we have the chance to move on this summer (Bodin less so, a rare case of ‘when it works’), I’d wholeheartedly support the club in bordering on the unreasonable with the contracts and if they all end up moving on, so be it. I want to see a fighting fit Oxford United side next year at whatever level. I don’t mind a couple of mercurial options for real X factor but only if, and I mean only if, the contract suits us and does right by the other players who have pulled their weight week in week out.

Last edited:
God knows what this thread would be like if Murphy wasn't fit at the moment. He thrives under Buckingham, and seeing as Buckingham's the boss, we should support this.
Give him a low base salary and an appearance bonus % with accelerators the more he appears.

Des clearly rates/trusts him more than the previous two managers and it shows in his minutes.

In the league under Des he averages 55 minutes per game when he has been fit, compare that with 16 under LM and 41 under KR.

The main issue is his injuries to me and not his numbers. He is always a threat when he plays he just isn't available often enough.

I would echo what others have said and offer some form of appearance incentivised, however I think he will get better financial offers elsewhere if he stays fit until the end of the season.

I was momentarily confused on turning the TV on earlier o see a player the spitting imagine of Josh in yellow and blue and wearing the 23 shirt.

And then I realised it's his twin brother playing for Newcastle🤦‍♂️

Was he any good? 😆
Did a few good things, but a bit meh at times and possibly cut inside too often. Which I must admit added to my confusion as it was pretty much identical to what I'd expect from Josh too :ROFLMAO:

He also had Tripper behind him as opposed to Sam Long . . . so maybe on balance we have the better twin:unsure::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom