Home Match Day Thread 21/10/2023 L1: OUFC v Blackpool

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The Fylde Coast is wonderful. Just about to go for a walk from Lytham to St.Annes via the beautiful coastline. What you up to? Stuck in traffic trying to get to a place 5 minutes down the road or maybe watching egg heads?

That right-hand channel is so vulnerable. I’m not sure where Negru is but that’s the obvious thing to try in an attempt to forge a working partnership down that side. Brown and Leigh have really settled down and affecting games.

I wouldn’t move Moore away from the centre. He was excellent again yesterday until the last 10 minutes and suddenly all 3 centre backs and Beadle completely lost their bearings.
I agree about the right sided channel being our most vulnerable area but it's not an issue with our CBs. I thought Mills and Long looked like they were on a different wave length at times, they just haven't gelled together. Stevens and Long also don't look great as a combo so far. You mention Beadle, I thought yesterday his kicking was the poorest it's been with us. Whether that's because he was getting pressed more, I'm not sure.

We are actually disappointed we didn't take all three. As soon as Dembele came on, it was an absolute battering. Should have had a penalty as well. It's just a shame we set up too defensively to start with otherwise it would have been a very comfortable away win.
That's like us saying, shame we set up too defensively in the second half otherwise it would have been a comfortable home win.

Nah. The difference in talent in that second half was very apparent. The first half was like a chess match and pretty boring to watch. It's something to build on, that's about it. Been a slow start but once Critchley works out his best team, can't see many teams competing with us at this level.
That's like us saying, shame we set up to defensively in the second half otherwise it would have been a comfortable home win.

Nah. The difference in talent in that second half was very apparent. The first half was like a chess match and pretty boring to watch. It's something to build on, that's about it. Been a slow start but once Critchley works out his best team, can't see many teams competing with us at this level.

Yeah, the sign of a great manager is being able to work out his best team in only 5 months!!!!

Only 5 wins out of 13, so at least 8 teams at this level are competing with you pretty well already!

Will you come back on here if we finish above you or will we never see or hear from you again?

I think Rodrigues is becoming increasingly pivotal without many realising. His role defensively seems to be irreplaceable from the bench and he’s the one player we have who can turn and find the ball through when we’re under pressure. Once he goes off, an awful lot of our strengths go off with him.

Going to say a version of what Marked Ox just said - we do have Bodin, who can do a lot of the things that Rodrigues does and would be a perfect replacement off the bench for him in the last 30 minutes.

The problem is that we're needing to use him elsewhere at the moment because we're short of reliable starters in the forward positions.

When Browne or Edwards come back, or even if we sign another striker and can use Harris out on the left wing, then this issue corrects itself. But we've got a lot of games to play before those things happen. Until then, would be really helpful if either Goodrham or Murphy would find some consistency.

Also as an aside, is Dembele the West African equivalent of Smith or Jones?
The Blackpool lad was super-impressive when he came on, so I was looking up to see if they had somehow nabbed Siriki (was confident he wasn't Moussa or Ousmane!). But nope, it was another different Dembele.

The Fylde Coast is wonderful. Just about to go for a walk from Lytham to St.Annes via the beautiful coastline. What you up to? Stuck in traffic trying to get to a place 5 minutes down the road or maybe watching egg heads?
Are you taking your medicine before you go? Crack

I agree about the right sided channel being our most vulnerable area but it's not an issue with our CBs. I thought Mills and Long looked like they were on a different wave length at times, they just haven't gelled together. Stevens and Long also don't look great as a combo so far. You mention Beadle, I thought yesterday his kicking was the poorest it's been with us. Whether that's because he was getting pressed more, I'm not sure.
Tbh I felt Long holds onto the ball to long and likes to turn sideways and attempt a pass to the middle rather than look up and send the ball over the top for Mills to run onto.

For slow start read, Crap.

We are actually disappointed we didn't take all three. As soon as Dembele came on, it was an absolute battering. Should have had a penalty as well. It's just a shame we set up too defensively to start with otherwise it would have been a very comfortable away win.

You must of been fathered by one of those jocks that take over slumpool from a one night stand if you think a draw is a battering.

My take is that Blackpool were decent, and we can’t win them all. Having an illness in the camp, no cambran, no Edwards, no Browne, and a transfer window or 2 still required definetely told.

In a parallel universe yesterday, after 70 mins you bring on Browne on the left and switch Edwards to the right. Blackpool start to dominate but Edwards destroys their left back on the counter before Browne pops up at the back post to make it 2.

There nothing to worry about. We will respond positively.

Sorry its a shitehole, taken as a coast.

You really are trying too hard.

Funny you should mention walking,
Just been for a walk around our beautiful city, admiring the outstanding architecture, walked through university parks,
Then, along the Thames to iffley lock, beautiful, idyllic....

Back
Top Bottom