Home Match Day Thread 20/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Northampton Town

Who was your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We looked so much better going forwards when we attacked quickly with purpose and pace. We didnโ€™t do it enough or for any sustained periods of time. Most frustratingly we didnโ€™t do it both times straight after scoring when the opposition were wobbling and potentially there for the taking.

There were long periods when we didnโ€™t try and go forwards with purpose and when we looked very ordinary.

The goals conceded both came from us yet again pissing about in the final 3rd (the first goal) and playing the ball backwards from the oppositions half (2nd goal). When will we stop fu**in about and doing both these things. Weโ€™ve done it all season and 34 games in havenโ€™t learnt the lessons, itโ€™s so frustrating.

We deserved to win tonight on balance and should have won, but for long periods we didnโ€™t do enough to try and put the game to bed, happy to try and sit on a slender 1 goal lead. Itโ€™s crazy as we rarely look like weโ€™re going to try and win games comfortably by more than a goal.

Bad decision by Long who was ok for most of the game. Bad decision by Bodin who had a real positive impact for most of the game. Absolutely unacceptable game management by the team in injury time not adjusting and supporting one another by providing simple options to keep possession. Very, very basic stuff.

Overall though that was the best we've looked for ages even if still unpolished. Could clearly see some method and pattern to our play. Northampton were bang average and came for a point but worked hard.

Frustrating

I would rather us play with 10 men than have long anywhere near this team he should join a bloody circus as the local clown ๐Ÿคก said it ages ago he is not league 1 standard and only in the side due to being Buckinghams mate

We should have won that game so easily. But the two mistakes for their goals weren't the only times we put ourselves under pressure with similar errors, so in a sense we had it coming. Bizarre how much we seemed to panic for their second goal though. We had a lot of opportunities to get rid of the ball even after the backpass, and didn't do it.

What the hell is that bloke on about on radio Oxford, calls the last caller negative & was just as negative ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ. It just sums up nearly everyone's feelings.

Sideways, backwards,sideways, backwards etc. do they practise it in training as it seems rooted in their approach to playing football, poor game in defence compounded by two awful mistakes, a lot of pointless sloppy passing when the best approach would be to put the boot through the ball, good to see Goodwin score ,

Sam Long has actually had a pretty good game apart from that long back pass

Iโ€™m sorry but i completely disagree. Like you as a poster but go rewatch how many times the ball goes to him and the next pass we lose possession . I was tracking it second half. Itโ€™s an insanely poor rate of return on pass completion. Any completed pass was regressive. He made two nice runs into space and was available but it was noticeable that his team mates refrained a few times when the pass to him was obvious. Iโ€™ve played with those players.

You couldn't really fault our attacking intent. Murphy was very good at points of tonight even if his goal was some dodgy looking keeping. That said, if you don't shoot, you don't score, and you can't level the same criticism we've seen this season of aimlessly rolling the ball around at the back. I know Northampton didn't look great but then again we were at them from the off and will have forced some of that.

Some awful defending has cost us.

The first goal was terrible from Bodin. A brainless decision to try a pass like that when you're inside your own half. The second goal was one of the worst I have seen us concede for ages. Mistake after mistake after mistake. Such a shame as we did enough to win that, and Buckingham could've banked some credit for bringing Dale and Goodwin on for them to combine for the winner.

Think the group of players lack leaders among them.
Too many times this season weโ€™ve dropped points when we should be seeing games out.

We arenโ€™t streetwise enough.

It happened under Manning & itโ€™s happening under Des.

Under Manning:

Port Vale at home. Point dropped in the 99th minute.
Blackpool at home. 2 points dropped in the 92nd minute.

Under Des:

Northampton away. Point dropped 97th minute.
Derby home. Point dropped 87th minute. Lost 3-2 from 2-0 up.
Northampton home. Point dropped 92nd minute.

I would rather us play with 10 men than have long anywhere near this team he should join a bloody circus as the local clown ๐Ÿคก said it ages ago he is not league 1 standard and only in the side due to being Buckinghams mate
Who would you have played right back today? Stevens is better but is injured. Smyth has played there, also badly, and is injured. Negru had a go there against Reading and cost us a goal. Such a nonsense, lazy line.

I completely agree that he's not good enough and hasn't been for years but unfortunately we don't have any other options at the moment. Being Buckingham's mate is nothing to do with it.

Iโ€™m sorry but i completely disagree. Like you as a poster but go rewatch how many times the ball goes to him and the next pass we lose possession . I was tracking it second half. Itโ€™s an insanely poor rate of return on pass completion. Any completed pass was regressive. He made two nice runs into space and was available but it was noticeable that his team mates refrained a few times when the pass to him was obvious. Iโ€™ve played with those players.
There was a real defensive clanger in the first half from Long as well. Charged out to go for a ball he was never winning and leaving an enormous gap behind him.

He needs taking out the firing line really. I'd be tempted to play Dale there if Stevens isn't fit.

Controversial opinion maybe but I'd like to see Bennett come back into the team, he looks so much more natural as a LB than Leigh does and I don't think Leigh has offered us huge amounts going forward in recent games from such a deep position

I'd play Leigh LW if Murphy isn't fit enough to start.
Only positive from me tonight is that Des clearly reads the forum and will be recruiting me as his new assistant.

We are just making way, way too many defensive errors to be confident about getting anywhere this season.

Over just the last month - Barnsley's goal was an o.g. after a failure to close down properly, Rovers' first two goals were dreadful defending, both Pompey goals were abject (with Lang's possibly being the worst of the lot, the way we failed to make a tackle), Reading's goal was another o.g. after failing to get a proper tackle in, Blackpool we failed to mark two people on a simple corner routine and then there's the two goals tonight.

That's more than a goal a game gifted to the opposition in the past month.

How much is a lack of good coaching, and how much is just a lack of defensive quality, I don't know. But right now it looks likely to derail our season.

Back
Top Bottom