Home Match Day Thread 19/04/2024: L1 - OUFC v Stevenage

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you had reversed the scores from Tuesday and last night we would be in a much better position, Lincoln was pretty much a don’t lose game and we lost it.

Not dead yet though, we just need Cheltenham to do something against Lincoln today then take care of it ourselves against Exeter, nervy afternoon ahead.

Time for Matty Taylor to show us his legs haven’t gone, prove us wrong in letting you go Matty.

Can see the ref getting a dressing down from the assessor over the penalty decisions.
Got all 3 wrong, whether poor positioning or lack of official team work. To get 100% wrong is some achievement.
When it comes to division one, both games this week, show it’s just not good enough
There would have been lots of wrong decisions throughout the season both in our favour and some against, so don’t think we can just narrow it down to two games.

Also, who knows what would have happened for the rest of the game if he had given the penalty in the first half!

I think we made some mistakes in not resting some players (Harris for example) when we were 4-0 up against Peterborough to give them more rest. I think leaving Rodrigues on until the 87th minute against Lincoln was poor too, especially as he was having a poor game. I think some of the substitutions over the last 3 games have been poor, and I don’t understand why McEachran wasn’t in the squad last night unless he’s carrying an injury! Bringing Henry and Bodin on when we were chasing the game was poor, but I guess that’s all we had! I just think that Browne is better when coming on, and Bodin’s probably better starting. For example, Bodin could have started instead of Rodrigues who looked spent against Lincoln and wasn’t playing well, then bring Rodrigues on. This would have given him a bit of a wake up call, plus I think he would have been more effective coming on, especially after getting a bit of a rest. Dale should have started too. Just lots of errors in this area for me!

Harris, aerially, is a concern. That’s three or four on a plate for him in the last few games that he’s either missed completely, misdirected or just not got a good contact on. He needs better timing obviously but also has to launch himself at the ball with a bit of intent, do that and he might get one in off a shoulder, his back, his chest. Out of his 18 goals will be interesting to see how many headers because that looks a very weak part of his game.

He is a converted winger, probably not going to be his strong point. The trouble with only having one forward is, at this level, how many forwards are going to be all round players? We are asking a lot of any one player to be our entire centre forward roster, signing an injured forward in Goodwin is looking like it will cost us this season.

He is a converted winger, probably not going to be his strong point. The trouble with only having one forward is, at this level, how many forwards are going to be all round players? We are asking a lot of any one player to be our entire centre forward roster, signing an injured forward in Goodwin is looking like it will cost us this season.

Agree. We've badly missed more fit striker options this season. Too many passengers in the whole squad that don't add anything.

Good morning all,

Well, I hope we have all had a decent nights sleep and are waking up this morning with an uptick in optimism and hope once again.

Looking forward to the watching the scores play out later today. It's not over, till it's over.

This may well turn out to be a "so near yet so far" season, but we've had lots of bumps and turmoil along the way and to still be clinging to some hope going into the last game of the season is such a significant step forward compared to last season. I will take that any day of the week.

Atmosphere has stepped up hugely these past few games and as a team we have shown the good, the bad and the ugly, so I refuse to be down about things, it really isn't worth it.

Des has earned the right to the summer and next season. He arrested the slide and got us back in with a fighting chance. To those that said in January that sticking with Des will see us end the season in mid table mediocrity, well, you were wrong.

The sun is shining, its the weekend, enjoy :)

Yes, in the smaller picture he’s deserving of the summer and the beginning of next season to get it right. There’s been undoubted improvement in our performances of late and finally an identifiable way of playing. If we don’t make it then there is hope for next season, although I think it will be the toughest L1 in a fair few years. If we fail then, in the bigger picture, you have to say the wait for Des to finally get his imprint on the squad will have been very costly. It’s the toss of a coin as to the job he’s done, a valid argument either way, but I’m in the camp that there’s just about enough been shown to get behind him, give him a summer window and hope for a fast start in August.

It's hard work being an OUFC supporter. Another frustrating result despite being clearly the better team. Was the team selection down to rotation alone? Was Dale dropped because of fitness levels? Was Leigh really preferred over Bennet?
Whatever, being thwarted by a very poorly positioned official, not once but twice, allowed Stevenage to get that one goal they needed to be able to set up with every man behind the ball. After that we had little hope of using the usual formation to get the upper hand. Yes, it looked like we were better, we had more of the ball (to be expected) but, could we do anything with it? Brannagan was eager, as always, to have a shot but even he could not find that opening. Crosses were put in under duress and not on target. As for our set pieces, and I've said this countless times, if we don't get a grip and practice some routines, they will never work. Corners, free kicks, throw ins - they all need work. (and, frankly, have done so for years)
Hey ho, a long weekend in Exeter - forecast is not for a sunny, balmy, stroll in the sun. At least Mrs L and self will not have to drive back Saturday - a drink, or more, will be taken, I feel.

Disappointed to read a few ‘bottled it’ comments in this thread immediately after the game. We’ve not bottled it this week - a week where we’ve crammed three massive high pressure home games against top 10 opposition in the space of 6 days, dominated all of them (even whilst fatiguing badly across Tuesday and Friday night) had some rotten luck with penalty decisions and conceded some scrappy, unfortunate goals.

If we don’t get in it will be paying the price for that dreadful performance against Orient. For conceding silly late goals against Northampton (in two separate games). For failing to shut Shrewsbury out, or for getting bullied off the pitch at Cheltenham right at the start of Des’ tenure. (Not to mention plenty of other games where we failed to hold a lead). And for the ridiculous failure to recruit a striker who can get on the field to help Harris ever since August.

But I’ve loved this week. Massive games, big crowds, vibrant atmospheres - compared to last season it’s just a joy. I am down about the result last night. It was clear we had a lot of tired bodies. Harris and Murphy looked shot. Leigh and Stevens absolutely fell apart in the final third. We just lacked the quality, cutting edge and big game nous to get over the line. But it’s been that way all season - and we’re still in with a shout.

If I’m honest I’m not sure I’m expecting any favours in the results today. We just have to win at Exeter - and hopefully go ahead early - then hope that pressure will do funny things to Lincoln in their last game.

Last edited:
It's obvious we are still a work in progress. Des has done extremely well to keep us in the play off hunt. Personally, I don't think we are quite good enough for the Championship just yet. Having said that, of course I hope we make the play offs but if we don't then it's not the end of the world and with decent recruitment over the summer we will be there or thereabouts next season.

Hoping Pompey win today as that will put them on 97 points and a possible 100 to aim for at Lincoln next weekend. I’m sure they’ll want to keep that 4 defeats intact too, that must be close to a L1 record for fewest losses? Will be interesting to see how they go today and might give us an indicator towards next weekend, they’ll have been partying on Tuesday night but hopefully Mous has them refocused.

Any idea why the long throw from Brown has not been used any longer?, our current tactic at throw ins is to make no use of them it appears, the first idea is to throw backwards as far as possible, or a really short throw to a marked player who can only return the ball to the thrower who is under pressure straight away

Last night was frustrating, the directness against peterborough was replaced by the return of the tedious pass it about which slows everything down to a snails pace

Hoping Pompey win today as that will put them on 97 points and a possible 100 to aim for at Lincoln next weekend. I’m sure they’ll want to keep that 4 defeats intact too, that must be close to a L1 record for fewest losses? Will be interesting to see how they go today and might give us an indicator towards next weekend, they’ll have been partying on Tuesday night but hopefully Mous has them refocused.

That is an excellent point.

Here’s hoping Pompey finish with a flourish. The thought of making 100 points has to be a massive incentive.

With reference to Harris not scoring with his head, is this something that a forward coach could address? Our current coaching staff has two goalkeepers, a centre half and a winger.

Sun is shining and who knows we might already have enough points 🤷‍♂️ Blackpool lose, Lincoln draw and then lose at pompey. 3 consecutive away games is a tough way to finish the season

It's obvious we are still a work in progress. Des has done extremely well to keep us in the play off hunt. Personally, I don't think we are quite good enough for the Championship just yet. Having said that, of course I hope we make the play offs but if we don't then it's not the end of the world and with decent recruitment over the summer we will be there or thereabouts next season.
He was second when we arrived. People are bored of hearing that, but he has underperformed. Simple.

Disappointing result but the performance was good, I can understand why people are deflated but some of the comments are a bit over the top. The players gave their all last night and were visibly crestfallen not to have won that match. Still in with a shout of making the playoffs, let’s see what happens today and next week. As someone has already mentioned, it’s the hope!

Disappointed obviously and clearly the 3 games in 6 days had a huge impact, particularly against the teams we were up against. Stevenage were awful and were there for the taking but we're again looking at our lack of striker options costing us. Manning to blame for that one as Harris wouldn't be so burned out if he'd had competition from the start of the campaign.
I thought first 45 we were conservative due to the physical demands of our schedule and if we had gone for it then we could easily have lost the game in the second half.
That said although we did look tired I've got to say some of the runs still being made at the end of the game was impressive and we looked fitter than Stevenage. With some more robustness in the squad next year it will be a good season (I'm assuming it will be L1 again...).
Fingers crossed for the playoffs though.

He was second when we arrived. People are bored of hearing that, but he has underperformed. Simple.
The problem I have with statements like that is that it is not 'simple'.

We had the best keeper in the league and he got recalled. Des had injuries to contend with and had two games a week when he joined with little time to get ideas across on the training pitch. He had no Assistant Manager to help with conveying his ideas. No Head of Performance to help coordinate returns from injury. No full time analyst to pick the smaller details that were on point vs Peterborough.

The people who have underperformed again are Tim Williams and Grant Ferguson. They have a track record of failure at this club which now spans multiple managers.

If you want an OUFC comparison, you simply need to look at Appleton. Once he had time and support to sort it out, he did. He did the same at Lincoln, but whenever he's been at basket case clubs, he's struggled.

Back
Top Bottom