Not open for further replies.

Foley

PRE-MATCH PACK

๐Ÿ“น ๐Ÿ”œ Interview - Des Buckingham
๐Ÿ“น ๐Ÿ”œ Interview - Opposition Manager
๐Ÿ“ฐ ๐Ÿ”œ OUFC Match Preview
๐Ÿ—“๏ธ Head to Head

Can we do it again?
For Lincoln- they have to win, so will have to go for it.
I like the idea that we have some tough games coming up. If we make the play offs , we will hopefully go in with some form against sine very good teams. Suddenly teams in the play offs won't be so keen on playing us.
If fully fit, I would play Cam and JM seems to struggle fitness wise playing full games.
A win and we are nearly there. Hopefully another near on 10k crowd. What an end to the season this could be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started dot counting for this one late Saturday evening, and as it's a short time frame, did a further count midway through yesterday, and at midnight.

First count had us at just over 7,000 home GA sales, and the count at midnight was just short of 7,300. Not earth shattering, but reasonable. It's hard to compare and forecast for midweek games (especially re-arranged games) and the closest I have is Bolton, back in November. It was against a similar calibre of opposition (although some may claim Bolton to be more attractive than Lincoln, the importance of this game counter balances that) and at the same stage we are about 400 ahead. That game ended with 7,742 home sales. I'd hope for a bigger take up today and tomorrow and would currently forecast about 8,200 home sales. Lincoln have sold over 1,000 (although supposedly Peterborough had, and they never materialised!) so probably looking at 9,200 total.

Before anyone says that's poor, it's worth looking at where sales are down compared to last Saturday's game. The family area of the North Stand is down considerably, by about 400. East Stand sales are very good, and on par with Saturday, and SSL and SSU are both about 150 down, with the VIP area having 40 unsold seats.

I think every game should be sold out, and can't imagine not going to a game, but not everyone is me, and not everyone is at my stage of life. I feel we have to accept that, especially with three home games in under a week, and one of them televised, people may have to make difficult choices, and those choices will affect games like this. It's worth looking at midweek games in previous seasons as a comparison, and we are way up on those.

We'd have undoubtably had a bigger attendance for the original date this game was scheduled for, but given the respective form of the two sides, then verses now, I'll take playing them tomorrow when we're on fire, rather than on the original date, when they were on fire and we weren't, even if there's a few hundred fewer people watching it.

I`ll settle for another performance like Saturday and, hopefully a win.
Doubt it will be on the same level, think they will be stronger & tougher.
2-1 nail biting home win.

The play off first leg would be the Friday or Saturday after the Exeter game so not a massive rest.
We will also still need at least a point on Friday so play the strongest team then rest them against Exeter.
Thatโ€™s nearly a week of rest as opposed to two days! We also wouldnโ€™t โ€™need at least a pointโ€™ against Stevenage if we beat Lincoln - we could easily lose that game and still finish in the top 6.

It would be absolute madness to beat Lincoln and then play the exact same team whoโ€™ve just played Saturday, Tuesday, Friday. Madness.

I started dot counting for this one late Saturday evening, and as it's a short time frame, did a further count midway through yesterday, and at midnight.

First count had us at just over 7,000 home GA sales, and the count at midnight was just short of 7,300. Not earth shattering, but reasonable. It's hard to compare and forecast for midweek games (especially re-arranged games) and the closest I have is Bolton, back in November. It was against a similar calibre of opposition (although some may claim Bolton to be more attractive than Lincoln, the importance of this game counter balances that) and at the same stage we are about 400 ahead. That game ended with 7,742 home sales. I'd hope for a bigger take up today and tomorrow and would currently forecast about 8,200 home sales. Lincoln have sold over 1,000 (although supposedly Peterborough had, and they never materialised!) so probably looking at 9,200 total.

Before anyone says that's poor, it's worth looking at where sales are down compared to last Saturday's game. The family area of the North Stand is down considerably, by about 400. East Stand sales are very good, and on par with Saturday, and SSL and SSU are both about 150 down, with the VIP area having 40 unsold seats.

I think every game should be sold out, and can't imagine not going to a game, but not everyone is me, and not everyone is at my stage of life. I feel we have to accept that, especially with three home games in under a week, and one of them televised, people may have to make difficult choices, and those choices will affect games like this. It's worth looking at midweek games in previous seasons as a comparison, and we are way up on those.

We'd have undoubtably had a bigger attendance for the original date this game was scheduled for, but given the respective form of the two sides, then verses now, I'll take playing them tomorrow when we're on fire, rather than on the original date, when they were on fire and we weren't, even if there's a few hundred fewer people watching it.
another factor is tomorrow nights game is available to watch on ifollow in the UK ( not ideal and IMO doesn't compare with being at the game)- My 3 Grand daughters have got their TKD on Tuesday evenings , Partners son is at work till 8pm... so it'll be me me sister & nephew at the Lincoln game

would still hope its 10k or thereabouts

Last edited:
We also wouldnโ€™t โ€™need at least a pointโ€™ against Stevenage if we beat Lincoln - we could easily lose that game and still finish in the top 6.
Current league table...
1713171198845.png

We have a GD advantage of 6 over Blackpool. Beat Lincoln 1-0 we have an advantage of 7 over Blackpool. Lose 0-2 to Stevenage, and 0-2 to Exeter, Blackpool win both their games 2-0, we finish 7th (assuming Barnsley take at least another point).

We will need another point if we win tomorrow, resting everyone and leaving it to Exeter is a risk we just don't need to take.

it's worth looking at where sales are down compared to last Saturday
I brought a whole tribe of grandchildren aged 7 to 11 to Saturday's match (they thoroughly enjoyed it) but they are all back to school this week and so don't have the option of a late night and a sleepover at grandads.

You could lose a 1,000 from the gate because of those in similar circumstances.

Last edited:
Current league table...
View attachment 18879

We have a GD advantage of 6 over Blackpool. Beat Lincoln 1-0 we have an advantage of 7 over Blackpool. Lose 0-2 to Stevenage, and 0-2 to Exeter, Blackpool win both their games 2-0, we finish 7th (assuming Barnsley take at least another point).

We will need another point if we win tomorrow, resting everyone and leaving it to Exeter is a risk we just don't need to take.

We can also overtake Barnsley, who have Portsmouth and Blackpool to play away in their next two games, so winning both of these two games will give us a very good chance of coming fifth and playing the team we just beat 5-0 over the team that not long ago beat us 5-0, I know you would still maybe have to play either Bolton or Derby but at least its a one off at Wembley.

Current league table...
View attachment 18879

That doesnโ€™t change the fact that we donโ€™t need at least a point against Stevenage. We might not even need at least a point in the last two games, technically! (Again if we beat Lincoln).

Making players with a history of injuries play three games in 7 days is a risk we just donโ€™t need to take! Weโ€™ve already seen Moore, Henry and Brannagan go down with injuries, do we want to see Murphy, Harris and McEachran injured too by running them into the ground?

Plus in my opinion, weโ€™re more likely to beat Stevenage with fresher players than we are sticking with players whoโ€™ve just played two games in the last few days! Look what Peterborough did, played the same team three times in a row and, by the third game (Stevenage for us) they had clearly run out of steamโ€ฆ

Current league table...
View attachment 18879

Lets hope Portsmouth take 3 points from Barnsley ๐Ÿ™

Lets hope Portsmouth take 3 points from Barnsley ๐Ÿ™
I think we'll be 5th by 10pm tomorrow. Confident we'll beat Lincoln whose luck seems to have dried up and I can't see an out of form Barnsley going to a packed out and bouncing Fratton Park and getting anything, especially when a Pompey win confirms the title in front of their own fans.

I'd definitely be keeping an eye on the fitness of a few key men. Murphy at least had a bit of a rest as he came off early on Saturday and if Moore and Cam aren't fully fit then we don't need to rush them. Harris is someone I'd be looking to give some time off to, either give Bodin or Browne some time up top tomorrow Friday against Stevenage as we can't afford for him to go down.

Last edited:
The hole infront of the defence will need to be tight, as Mandroiu and Moylan are smart and will break quickly. Drapers lively upfront all know where the net is.
Sorenson on the right can be a real threat, hopefully Murphy will keep him occupied.

First, get the points needed to be mathematically in the playoffs, rotating as necessary for injury/tiredness. If we manage that with a game to spare, then think about protecting players for the playoffs.

Exeter are in good form and we all know how a mistake, dodgy penalty, sending-off can unexpectedly change a game. If possible, we want to be going to Exeter without us needing a result and/or Lincoln to drop points against a Portsmouth team who will likely already be champions.

If if`s & and`s were pots and pans there would be no need to wash them...................... :)

This is all part of the funโ€ฆ ๐Ÿ™‚

A win for us and Portsmouth tomorrow and weโ€™ve secured our place in the playoffsโ€ฆโ€ฆ. Itโ€™s just that simple ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Or is it ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธโ€ฆ b****r. That isn't quite correct is it.

Last edited:
The psychology and mentality of both teams going into this game is fascinating.

Lincoln have been on an amazing run, but drew against "lowly" Reading and lost to "lowly" Wigan on Saturday. They can almost see their playoff tilt evaporating before their eyes and they now need a result away to the form side of the division. If they can't keep clean sheets against Wigan and Reading (not to mention Carlisle), what hope do they have against free-scoring Oxford??

So, there's the quandry for them. They HAVE to go for it. Their confidence has been knocked in the last two. They can't keep a clean sheet. We're on fire. We will be roared on by a big midweek crowd.

I'm predicting 0-0 :ROFLMAO:

I think itโ€™ll be Brannagan & Moore in for McEachran & Stevens. Sounds very much like they couldโ€™ve been risked Saturday but were held back for tomorrow.

First, get the points needed to be mathematically in the playoffs, rotating as necessary for injury/tiredness. If we manage that with a game to spare, then think about protecting players for the playoffs.

Exeter are in good form and we all know how a mistake, dodgy penalty, sending-off can unexpectedly change a game. If possible, we want to be going to Exeter without us needing a result and/or Lincoln to drop points against a Portsmouth team who will likely already be champions.
conversely we should ( hopefully) be looking at going into the playoffs firing on all cylinders , including on the back of a confidence boosting away win at Exeter

The psychology and mentality of both teams going into this game is fascinating.

Lincoln have been on an amazing run, but drew against "lowly" Reading and lost to "lowly" Wigan on Saturday. They can almost see their playoff tilt evaporating before their eyes and they now need a result away to the form side of the division. If they can't keep clean sheets against Wigan and Reading (not to mention Carlisle), what hope do they have against free-scoring Oxford??

So, there's the quandry for them. They HAVE to go for it. Their confidence has been knocked in the last two. They can't keep a clean sheet. We're on fire. We will be roared on by a big midweek crowd.

I'm predicting 0-0 :ROFLMAO:
Lincoln were flying when there was no pressure on, they were never expected to make the playoffs from where they were but once they got into position they started stuttering. Also they were fortunate to be getting the results they were but I've been over that enough times.

They're no mugs but I think people have got carried away after a freakish run, despite them going mental scoring almost every shot they had for a bit their strength is actually their defence. Like you say they have to go for it which plays into our hands a bit, no one will relish playing us at the moment. Saturday seemed a turning point where everyone started to see what we were trying to do and came together and I think it'll be us on a roll now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom