• SUB: Browne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SUB: Henry

• SUB: Stevens

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quite enjoying Desball recently. The pace and power of our counterattacks the last two games especially has been lethal. As difficult as it was to see his "style" the first few months of his reign, it's been very clear since the Bolton debacle, and it's been fun to watch.

Hitting form at the right time, just got to hope none of the injuries are serious and keep that faith.
Maybe the Bolton game is turning into a β€œCambridge” moment under Appleton?

Last edited:
I still think the Argentine Armada season was pretty nuts.

Promotion in 95-96 was nuts as well (don't know if @Wandering Yellow saw that one though). Mediocre for a fair chunk of the early season, first away win was Burnley after Christmas iirc and at the end of season we were unstoppable, it just didn't seem to matter who we played.

Promotion in 95-96 was nuts as well (don't know if @Wandering Yellow saw that one though). Mediocre for a fair chunk of the early season, first away win was Burnley after Christmas iirc and at the end of season we were unstoppable, it just didn't seem to matter who we played.
Admittedly I'm too young to remember 95-96 too. I would have been 6 years old at that point. The faintest memories of being taken to games by my old man, but mostly of the atmosphere and the walk to the ground, as opposed to the games themselves.

Last edited:
17 goals (so far) is a great return in his first full season as first choice striker. I think he's been a great signing and a marked improvement on Joseph. If he can become less 'streaky' and stop the long goal droughts there's no reason he can't be a 20+ goal a season striker at this level.
Especially since he joined us to play no 10 and only played up front when the main striker target never happened. He is literally learning the role on the job. He is a real handful when he comes up against a no pace defence or he is allowed to run into space behind the defenders. If he ever gets clinical in front of goal, he will be worth a fortune.

Peterborough have to play 3 games in 7 days with us being the third one. I am hoping they will be fatigued and maybe have a bit of a Wembley hangover.

Strangely, the EFL Trophy final between Posh and Wycombe kicks off at 4.30pm tomorrow giving even less recovery time for the Posh
Before they play Port Vale on Weds night.

Especially since he joined us to play no 10 and only played up front when the main striker target never happened. He is literally learning the role on the job. He is a real handful when he comes up against a no pace defence or he is allowed to run into space behind the defenders. If he ever gets clinical in front of goal, he will be worth a fortune.

he's alos had to adopt to a new system and different players to the left and right. he and Murphy in particular are starting to work really well together.

He showed composure for that first goal. I half-expected him to play it left to Murphy as opposed to take the chance himself. Could easily have doubted himself with all that 1-on-1 time, so good to see him back himself to go alone and get the job done.

he's alos had to adopt to a new system and different players to the left and right. he and Murphy in particular are starting to work really well together.
Sparky and Murphy played together *edit2 "somewhere in Wales". At one point both of them plus Bennett and Brown were in the same squad.

Edit: ooooo I've been upgraded from 'new member' to 'junior'. πŸ˜„

Last edited:
I watched the last half hour of Lincoln Reading. Reading genuinely unlucky not to win, Lincoln going ahead had all the look of a team flying on confidence and things falling for them. Reading equaliser well deserved and Lincoln didn’t have another sniff after that goal. Really feel like a bump to their confidence will see their winning streak fall away, seems like they’ve been coasting on that intangible β€˜run of good form’ at the moment.

That said, and I hate to P**s on any parades, but we should temper the enthusiasm of the last few performances with the acknowledgement that we have had probably the kindest possible run of fixtures since the Bolton game. Some of the worst teams I’ve seen at this level, all in a row. Yes, you can only beat what’s put in front of you, but we shouldn’t get carried away by seeing off these and Fleetwood comfortably. I still have a horrible feeling those 5 dropped points to Shrews and Northampton (H&A) could cost us.

I’m still very apprehensive about this β€˜Cam as the only CM’ formation, and think it will get found out against better sides. That becomes especially pertinent if Cam is out for any period of time - we basically won’t have a midfield. Murphy and Dale can skin the inferior fullbacks of this league , but I’d be very surprised if they get as much joy against the likes of Burrows next week. There’s still a long way to go, and we need to show we can do it against (EDIT: teams other than) the relegation nailed-ons of league one.

That said, it’s important to recognise what a turnaround we’ve had this season. We’ll likely hit at least 74 points, which, as we know from that famous lockdown thread, would typically see you in the playoffs in any given year. That probably won’t be enough this year, but already 70 points is an enormous turnaround from where we were this time 12 months ago. The green shoots of the Des reign are certainly there. Let’s see how far a resurgent Dale, Murphy and Sparky can take us in the next 4 games.

COYY
You’re missing that we’re defending a lot better.

Burton are a gruesome team. Slow, technically inept, no apparent plan apart from long throws.

A great club though, pleasant staff and loved how their fans clapped Murphy off.

We took them efficiently to the cleaners. On a very dodgy pitch. This, without a number of forward players failing to contribute much, i.e. Goodhram and Dale. McE impressed.

Liked the way the defence cleared their lines, Moore was magnificent.

Despatching two of the poorest teams in the league 8 nil on aggregate, is top two form. I’m encouraged.

Well done Des and staff.

Burton are a gruesome team. Slow, technically inept, no apparent plan apart from long throws.

A great club though, pleasant staff and loved how their fans clapped Murphy off.

We took them efficiently to the cleaners. On a very dodgy pitch. This, without a number of forward players failing to contribute much, i.e. Goodhram and Dale. McE impressed.

Despatching two of the poorest teams in the league 8 nil on aggregate, is top two form. I’m encouraged.

Well done Des and staff.
I listened to Radio Derby on the way back. About 40 minutes or so- and all about the game. Burton commentators were very complimentary about us, especially about Murphy. The Burton manager sounded on the verge of tears. Said he'd warned his players repeatedly about how quick we were on the break, but they didn't listen. We played really well, but Burton were just awful. I thought Fleetwood were the worst team in L1 until today.

I listened to Radio Derby on the way back. About 40 minutes or so- and all about the game. Burton commentators were very complimentary about us, especially about Murphy. The Burton manager sounded on the verge of tears. Said he'd warned his players repeatedly about how quick we were on the break, but they didn't listen. We played really well, but Burton were just awful. I thought Fleetwood were the worst team in L1 until today.
There are some very, very poor teams in L1. Burton surely the worst, we beat them 7-0 over the two games.

Carlisle are very poor, Fleetwood are very bad. Cheltenham Town are a nightmare to play at their place.

Well done Des and staff.

Tbf, he played through a fantastic pass to Murphy for the 2nd goal.

Back
Top Bottom