Home Match Day Thread 03/9/2022: L1 - OUFC v Burton Albion

Status
Not open for further replies.
surely wait for it to happen first - you may well be right and can properly say so if it happens - in fact many may well take the same view as you at that point - but the relentless similar comments make it seem like you actually hope for this outcome so you can say "told you so"
All I've done is simply say the test of the squad, transfers comes along in the next weeks. Why would say I told you so. That would be a little silly as I go to most of these games, and it costs a lot of money. A home game is a 220 mile round trip.

6 points in 7 days against two hopeless L1 opposition sides and both games we just about scrambled enough to get by. We have at least salvaged an OK start from our first 7 games based on points rather than performances. I'm still unbeaten seeing Oxford live this season, might see about going to Shrewsbury now to maintain the run.

The importance of Anderson being a good player and ready to play immediately at RWB/RB once his work permit comes through is clear, he is going to be essential if this team is to improve as without him (if he is how he has been described to us, and not turn out to be the next GvK) we will be quite a one dimensional side.

Mous is a very intelligent player and in a 3 is afforded a bit more protection. But when he does go into a must win heading challenge he tends to lose a lot of them and I fear that if we come up against a really good centre forward who is decent in the air we are facing a problem if he has to keep playing more regularly. But we should be grateful that we can call on Mous at this critical time, we really shouldn't need to be calling on him with the squad and resources we have so the fact that he looks fit and sharp and willing enough to play and contribute is a big plus and he is a great professional. But if he is going to continue to be called on I think we need to look at the opposition first to decide whether to play him as there are teams he can comfortably play against but others where we know he is likely to struggle before the match starts.

Difficult to judge O'Donkor's performance as all he did was get fouled. But I guess his contribution to the team overall by doing this was positive and I look forward to seeing him play again as he looks decent.

6 points in 7 days against two hopeless L1 opposition sides and both games we just about scrambled enough to get by. We have at least salvaged an OK start from our first 7 games based on points rather than performances. I'm still unbeaten seeing Oxford live this season, might see about going to Shrewsbury now to maintain the run.

The importance of Anderson being a good player and ready to play immediately at RWB/RB once his work permit comes through is clear, he is going to be essential if this team is to improve as without him (if he is how he has been described to us, and not turn out to be the next GvK) we will be quite a one dimensional side.

Mous is a very intelligent player and in a 3 is afforded a bit more protection. But when he does go into a must win heading challenge he tends to lose a lot of them and I fear that if we come up against a really good centre forward who is decent in the air we are facing a problem if he has to keep playing more regularly. But we should be grateful that we can call on Mous at this critical time, we really shouldn't need to be calling on him with the squad and resources we have so the fact that he looks fit and sharp and willing enough to play and contribute is a big plus and he is a great professional. But if he is going to continue to be called on I think we need to look at the opposition first to decide whether to play him as there are teams he can comfortably play against but others where we know he is likely to struggle before the match starts.

Difficult to judge O'Donkor's performance as all he did was get fouled. But I guess his contribution to the team overall by doing this was positive and I look forward to seeing him play again as he looks decent.

Very well put [emoji1303]

A win is a win , special praise for K.S. , runs his socks off what a good loan signing! Had my wish O Donker and K.S. running the forward line ,at least for the first half !

A win is a win , special praise for K.S. , runs his socks off what a good loan signing! Had my wish O Donker and K.S. running the forward line ,at least for the first half !
It might be up tool late. K.S. .?

What does ‘upperty’ mean?

I’d rather have a scale of 100, if I’m seeing a film or game rated you have 78 or 82 or whatever, and you’re asking me to have less nuance and precision than that by a power of ten… no thanks
I think we should do it on a log scale so that we can fit cam bran on the same scale as everyone else.

Finally back from holiday, sooo pleased to see another win.
Sign of a good team mentality - weak squad, average performance but still got the result. If we can keep grinding these out then it’s not looking nearly as bad as some wish to convince us!
UTFO!

What game was Chris Williams watching, in his report, entertaining game, full of niggly fouls, time wasting, especially throw ins not booked, if thats what he calls entertaining he is welcome to it, suggest he goes to Wycombe or the Gas if thats what he thinks. Yes we are badly hit by injuries, players in playing out of position Entertaining, NO WAY.
He needs to sell his brand 😂

Finally back from holiday, sooo pleased to see another win.
Sign of a good team mentality - weak squad, average performance but still got the result. If we can keep grinding these out then it’s not looking nearly as bad as some wish to convince us!
UTFO!
Smells like Wycombe?

My player ratings:

Eastwood: 6 - I’m still not convinced when he has the ball at his feet, but he did bowl out a couple of decent quick throws.

Brown: 6.5 - He’s not really a LWB as he’s a more defensive left back, when he plays there. Doesn’t let you down though, honest hard working player.

Findlay: 6.5 - He doesn’t look great on the ball and his passing isn’t the best, but he’s a solid player at this level.

Mousinho: 7.5 - Calm, assured performance. Reads the game well so it rarely matters how little pace he has.

Long: 6.5 - A mixed bag, some good runs forward but also outmuscled a couple of times.

Henry: 6.5 - Doesn’t exactly motor up and down but kept running. I think he’ll do a job for you at RWB but defensively isn’t the best (which is understandable).

McGuane: 6.5 - Didn’t hit the levels he’s been having so far this season but wasn’t bad by any means.

Brannagan: 7.5 - My MOTM, he was full of desire and determination.

Bate: 6.5 - There’s a player in there, if he can get his confidence up. Clearly wants to work hard and do well.

GO’D: 7 - Maybe I’m being generous as he’s so young but he put himself about and with a different (better) ref would have won about 5-6 more free kicks than he did. Is quick, intelligent and doesn’t just always do the obvious thing, which must be tricky for defenders. I wouldn’t be upset to see more of him this season, and seems to have more about him than Spasov does to me.

Joseph: 7.5 - I’m starting to really like this guy, he runs his socks off and seems to have the knack of scoring goals. His finish was either genius or absolutely terrible, but he scored it.

I was reading with interest until I saw you gave O’Donker a 7 and then realised you weren’t marking on yesterday’s performance but doing it on sentiment instead. The lad tried but he’s nowhere near ready. Nowhere near. 5.5 for effort, one turn on halfway and the very odd bit of hold up play. He was bullied out there and just doesn’t yet have the timing in his movement. KR was clearly exasperated at something he did - or didn’t do - a minute or so before subbing him.

I'm not writing him off, far from it, and I hope he goes on to have a long and successful OUFC career but little point in marking player performances if you aren’t going to be brutally honest in your assessment !!!

What does ‘upperty’ mean?

I’d rather have a scale of 100, if I’m seeing a film or game rated you have 78 or 82 or whatever, and you’re asking me to have less nuance and precision than that by a power of ten… no thanks
So do it next time.

We looked at Morecambe, Cheltenham and Burton games and most of us wanted a minimum of 7 points.

Fair play to KR, he's got that job done with some very makeshift sides. (Which I think are his fault but that's been done to death on here).

We did make very heavy weather of those games and with much tougher opponents coming up I am concerned we don't have enough to face them.

That starting lineup, for the first game after the transfer window, was a shocker but it got the job done and although not pretty there were some decent individual performances.

Only 1 point behind Derby at the moment and not far off the top, it'll be interesting how we fare over the next 10.

I was reading with interest until I saw you gave O’Donker a 7 and then realised you weren’t marking on yesterday’s performance but doing it on sentiment instead. The lad tried but he’s nowhere near ready. Nowhere near. 5.5 for effort, one turn on halfway and the very odd bit of hold up play. He was bullied out there and just doesn’t yet have the timing in his movement. KR was clearly exasperated at something he did - or didn’t do - a minute or so before subbing him.

I'm not writing him off, far from it, and I hope he goes on to have a long and successful OUFC career but little point in marking player performances if you aren’t going to be brutally honest in your assessment !!!
G'OD got hooked after trying to cut the ball back from the by line. It ran feebly towards the defender. As you say, a 5 for effort. A bit more aggression would not go amiss. Did take some heavy tackles in the first 45.

I’m afraid I disagree, in my opinion, even at 36, Mous is the best CB at the club, by some distance.

He reads the game so well, is very calm and assured, very good with the ball, his organisational skills are excellent, and his experience is invaluable.

He’s also no slouch, and has kept up with every striker he’s been up against, even the young palace striker, who actually had a head start on him to begin with!

He’s been either MOTM or in the top 2/3 performers in every game he’s played this season, and after seeing our defence in the first few games this season, I wouldn’t trust our current defenders to do as good a job without him in there, so for me, until I see signs that he’s not up to it on a consistent basis, he’s a now a starter.
I totally agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom