General Sol Campbell

I always thought other people had to propose/put you forward for said awards?

To get an honour simply for what you did on the pitch, you need to be truly exceptional.

Most footballers that get awards also are getting recognition for their charity work - like Rio and James Milner did last year; their charities do a lot of good for a lot of kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Andy Robertson is on this year's list, mostly because of the AR26 foundation.

A cursory search suggests that Sol's charity/foundation hasn't done a whole lot lately, or for the last decade or so.

Why does he care so much, though? It's not like an MBE is going to change his life!

To
To get an honour simply for what you did on the pitch, you need to be truly exceptional.

Most footballers that get awards also are getting recognition for their charity work - like Rio and James Milner did last year; their charities do a lot of good for a lot of kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. Andy Robertson is on this year's list, mostly because of the AR26 foundation.

A cursory search suggests that Sol's charity/foundation hasn't done a whole lot lately, or for the last decade or so.

Why does he care so much, though? It's not like an MBE is going to change his life!

Good point. Some players, I do wonder why the get an MBE, but when you look at their work outside of the game, then it's clearly obvious why they got their honour. And it's fully deserved to in the examples you mentioned. Some charity work is well known (e.g. Marcus Rashford), but a lot of it does slip under the radar.

However, you argue that there is an imbalance between defenders and other positions on the field, given that in the past fifty or so years, apart from Rio Ferdinand that you mentioned, the only two I can think of who have received honours are Tony Adams (like Rio, also for charity work) and Gareth Southgate (more for his England managerial success).

England have has some pretty solid defenders down the years - Campbell, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Gary Neville, Des Walker, Kenny Sansom. Whereas attacking players such as Lampard, Gerrard, Shearer, Lineker, Kane etc have all received honours for what I would classify as purely footballing reasons.

However, you argue that there is an imbalance between defenders and other positions on the field, given that in the past fifty or so years, apart from Rio Ferdinand that you mentioned, the only two I can think of who have received honours are Tony Adams (like Rio, also for charity work) and Gareth Southgate (more for his England managerial success).

England have has some pretty solid defenders down the years - Campbell, John Terry, Ashley Cole, Gary Neville, Des Walker, Kenny Sansom. Whereas attacking players such as Lampard, Gerrard, Shearer, Lineker, Kane etc have all received honours for what I would classify as purely footballing reasons.

Aaron Hughes also has an MBE, purely for footballing reasons! And Wayne Rooney doesn't, despite still being England's leading goalscorer (for a little while longer, at least).

I suspect there's also a bit of a "Are you a decent human being/how much trouble did you get yourself into off the field" test as well......

Aaron Hughes also has an MBE, purely for footballing reasons! And Wayne Rooney doesn't, despite still being England's leading goalscorer (for a little while longer, at least).

I suspect there's also a bit of a "Are you a decent human being/how much trouble did you get yourself into off the field" test as well......
allegedly sniffing round Queen Elizabeth 2 hand'maidens' probably went against him ?

Aaron Hughes is Northern Irish. They tend to lower the bar a bit for the other home nations, just so they don't feel left out.

Rooney's an interesting one. I know he's a republican, and famously refuses to sing the National anthem. Maybe the powers that be are worried he'll make a song-and-dance about it, and throw the MBE back in their face?

Aaron Hughes is Northern Irish. They tend to lower the bar a bit for the other home nations, just so they don't feel left out.

Rooney's an interesting one. I know he's a republican, and famously refuses to sing the National anthem. Maybe the powers that be are worried he'll make a song-and-dance about it, and throw the MBE back in their face?
If Rooney is a republican could an award not have been offered and refused?

Back
Top Bottom