Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

That’s a fair point. Im a bit conflicted with Hall. Personally, I really like Robbie. I’ve spoke to him quite a bit away from football and he’s a sound guy. He can contribute to the team but it’s few and far between. I’m afraid he’s just a yard or two short of where he was, before his injury. That’s a lot at this level.

Could he go on loan ? He didn't seem to get in the first team a great deal at Forest Green, and chances were few and far between

Gives a chance for Cam to get back up to speed, with one of Forde, Sykes or maybe even Hanson to step in if he's not ready for 90 mins. Or you could bring Henry into the middle, with Shodipo, Agyei, Obita, Sykes or even Forde or Hall as the two wider players.

Funny how you suddenly find your squad has a bunch more options when you're playing well...

4-5 weeks estimated

Its not the weeks as much as the games - possibly out for nine which is a pain.

We do have options to throw in there at least although I don’t think they’re quite in the class as McGuane.

Nevertheless, I hope his recovery goes well.

With the squad size reducing to 20 (aged over 21 as of 1st January 2021 I assume) next season.
Here is the current state of play. (UPDATED 27th April)

Under contract for 21/22 and beyond:
1. Stevens (End of 23/24)
2. Eastwood (End of 23/24)
3. Long (End of 23/24)
4. Atkinson (End of 22/23)
5. Moore (End of 21/22)
6. McNally (End of 23/24)
7. Hanson (End of 21/22)
8. Clare (End of 22/23)
9. Brannagan (End of 22/23)
10. Cooper (End of 22/23)
11. Agyei (End of 21/22)
12. Taylor (End of 22/23)
13. Winnall (End of 21/22 + year option)
14. Osei-Yaw (End of 21/22)
15. Gorrin (End of 21/22)
16. Sykes (End of 21/22)
17. Henry (End of 21/22 + year option)
18. McGuane (End of 23/24)

Out of Contract:
Forde
Hall
Mousinho (Club Option)
Ruffels (Talks Started)

Loans Ending:
Barker
Grayson
Kelly
Lee
Shodipo

U21s Out of Contract:
- Asonganyi (Club Option)
- Elechi
- Jones (Club Option)
- Lofthouse
- Lopes
- Spasov (Club Option)
- Chambers-Parillon
- Sade
- Sole
- Stevens (the outfield one)

U18s at end of Scholarships:
- Tyler Goodrham (offered Pro Contract)
- Kie Plumley (Through to Jan 2022)
- Callum Crook (Released)
- Jack Gardner (Released)
- Trey Grant (Released)
- Johnson (Released)
- Damian Niemczycki (Released)

U18s with a year left of Scholarship:
- Eddie Brearey (G)
- Ben Watt (FB)
- James Golding (CB)
- Clinton Nosakhare (CB)
- Mac Masters (DM)
- Josh Anifowose (CM)
- Elijah Coe (CM)
- Will Owens (W)
- Adam Smith (ST)

Last edited:
I’d be happy to keep Forde and sign McGuane and Shodipo or another winger, if that was an option. We don’t need four strikers so Osei would probably go. Really shows the restrictions though - no room for extra goalie. It’s crazy, keeping a guy who’s maybe played a couple of seasons at Mansfield or wherever as backup keeper isn’t what is bankrupting lower league clubs.

I’d be happy to keep Forde and sign McGuane and Shodipo or another winger, if that was an option. We don’t need four strikers so Osei would probably go. Really shows the restrictions though - no room for extra goalie. It’s crazy, keeping a guy who’s maybe played a couple of seasons at Mansfield or wherever as backup keeper isn’t what is bankrupting lower league clubs.

But it might very well send the backup keeper down to the food bank once he doesn't find a club...madness!

But it might very well send the backup keeper down to the food bank once he doesn't find a club...madness!
Absolute madness.
I could still see this challenged legally by the Players Union or a player thrown out if work.
What in theory it is good for the younger players and Academies, again, just because you turn a certain age, means that you may not get another contract.

I can see the squad size not going down to 20 and remaining at 22 in the summer based on no evidence. Unfortunately I don't think the clubs will get rid of the squad limits completely though. The smaller clubs won't get rid of the salary cap though.

I would also assume that we'd look to find at least a loan deal for Osei-Yaw.

Triggering all five of those options/resignings (which I would do), that would leave us with sixteen players.

We'd need (either via loan or permanent signings) two central midfielders and one winger (or, if Cooper doesn't want to come back, we'd need two wingers).

Then for the 20th spot? Either a backup goalie, or full-back cover. For whichever of those you don't bring in an experienced player, you'll have to find - internally or externally - a youngster that you're willing to play as needed.

Then complement that squad with hopefully a couple of the U21s stepping up and playing a significant role (LCP? Lofthouse?)

It's not ideal, but it's doable. Especially as all our competition will be dealing with the same issues.

I would also assume that we'd look to find at least a loan deal for Osei-Yaw.

Triggering all five of those options/resignings (which I would do), that would leave us with sixteen players.

We'd need (either via loan or permanent signings) two central midfielders and one winger (or, if Cooper doesn't want to come back, we'd need two wingers).

Then for the 20th spot? Either a backup goalie, or full-back cover. For whichever of those you don't bring in an experienced player, you'll have to find - internally or externally - a youngster that you're willing to play as needed.

Then complement that squad with hopefully a couple of the U21s stepping up and playing a significant role (LCP? Lofthouse?)

It's not ideal, but it's doable. Especially as all our competition will be dealing with the same issues.

Maybe an option is to have a back up keeper who is under 21? I know we would all like an experienced back up to Stevens and it seems harsh that both keepers would count in the 20 man squad but then it only allows 18 players for 10 positions. Too early to say who we will keep and try and get back. Karl did say they will assess in March.

Although I can't stand the salary cap (or parts of it), it does really benefit clubs with a decent Academy.
Spasov, Lopes , Lofthouse and Elechi (and I would have said Jones but alas that now seems unlikely) have a chance to get more game time.
It is even more important that the club bring through good young players.

Although I can't stand the salary cap (or parts of it), it does really benefit clubs with a decent Academy.
Spasov, Lopes , Lofthouse and Elechi (and I would have said Jones but alas that now seems unlikely) have a chance to get more game time.

While it does help their development of getting game time earlier on. They have to make it before they turn 21 otherwise the clubs will be paying for a player who can't play in the first team. So this means more will be ending up in non league and will have to catch a football league clubs eye to progress. I could understand if It was being rolled out in all 4 leagues but its just going to widen the gap between league 1 and the championship.

I thought somebody mentioned on KR's iFollow interview about Luke McNally that he said Nico Jones wasn't out of the picture but isn't involved currently due to separate bubbles. I may have imagined it but I don't have access to the iFollow interviews to confirm either way. I appreciate that EC yellow is pretty reliable.

While it does help their development of getting game time earlier on. They have to make it before they turn 21 otherwise the clubs will be paying for a player who can't play in the first team. So this means more will be ending up in non league and will have to catch a football league clubs eye to progress. I could understand if It was being rolled out in all 4 leagues but its just going to widen the gap between league 1 and the championship.
Totally agree.
Hopefully we will have some decent young players at least as back up though.
Wycombe totally got rid of their youth development (not sure if they have restarted it), and clubsikd that will struggle if they have no decent back up

Back
Top Bottom