Sammy Chung

Gold and Black

Sammy Chung R.I.P. Has died at 90, born in Abingdon and played for Abingdon Utd with his brother Ken and my father in law Ben Hibbins, went on to play for Headington Utd. Mainly played for Wolves and was their manager or assistant

Fbaus-9XwAMLmo-

Sammy was a bit of a legend in Abingdon when I was a kid. Although I'm sure it was Abingdon Town he played for, not United.

R.I.P, Sammy.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Does anyone know which ground features in the black and white photo of Sammy? I'm struggling to think of a ground (whether extant or since demolished) that has these particular houses/flats in the background.

Sammy made an appearance as the Wolves manager at the Manor on Tuesday 10th August 1976, when Wolves won 4-0 in a pre-season friendly. I attended that match, as some of you may have also done, and have my copy of the programme (actually a double-sided single sheet) to hand.

The editorial includes the comment "a special welcome to Mr Chung who, and it might not be generally known, burst the net in scoring for this club back in our Headington United days" (presumably this refers to a specific match?)

Happy memories of playing golf with Sammy all those years ago. Thank you Sammy, rest easy.

Does anyone know which ground features in the black and white photo of Sammy? I'm struggling to think of a ground (whether extant or since demolished) that has these particular houses/flats in the background.

Sammy made an appearance as the Wolves manager at the Manor on Tuesday 10th August 1976, when Wolves won 4-0 in a pre-season friendly. I attended that match, as some of you may have also done, and have my copy of the programme (actually a double-sided single sheet) to hand.

The editorial includes the comment "a special welcome to Mr Chung who, and it might not be generally known, burst the net in scoring for this club back in our Headington United days" (presumably this refers to a specific match?)
The black and white photo was taken at Loftus Road before a game between QPR and Watford on 14 September 1963 (source: Getty Images).

played for the U's before I was even a twinkle in my old mans eye

my dad remembers him as having one hell of a shot on him

RIP Sammy

Back
Top Bottom