Home Match Day Thread +++ 17/11/2018 OUFC v Gillingham FC +++

I'm as happy as anyone on here with a win and 3 points but, still frustrated at the way we play. The lack of movement off the ball is still painful and the lack of effort to keep up with play is costing us.
Why are players not following up when we attack? A shot goes into the box, comes back out and where is the player to pick up the pieces? It appeared yesterday that whenever Browne or Holmes were on the ball that most, if not all, of the rest of the team stood back to admire. Where are the runs to pull defenders away to create gaps for others to run into? The short highlights up on iFollow show a shot from Holmes get saved, Smith (one of the few who was up front) gather and turn the ball back across the face and only one yellow shirt (Browne) can be seen following up! We lack those runs down the flanks that proved so successful only a few seasons ago. We also appear to have forgotten how to counter attack from defending set pieces, something Gillingham utilised, although without result, yesterday.
On a plus note, Moushino operating in front of the back four is excellent. Brannagan gets released to make more of an attacking role and with a bit more team work we will start scoring a lot more.

I don’t even think it’s the lack of goals with Smith, it’s the lack of almost anything. The fact that he made a couple of tackles on their defenders and closed them down a handful of times is the bare minimum you should ever expect from a forward, and that doing this is seen as him showing a bit more than usual is quite damning.

Bet all those idiots who used to jeer Ryan Taylor are enjoying our centre forward problems of recent times. His touch, vision and ability to link up play isn’t so useless now, is it?
I did say a ‘bit of a better game’.

I don’t even think it’s the lack of goals with Smith, it’s the lack of almost anything. The fact that he made a couple of tackles on their defenders and closed them down a handful of times is the bare minimum you should ever expect from a forward, and that doing this is seen as him showing a bit more than usual is quite damning.

Bet all those idiots who used to jeer Ryan Taylor are enjoying our centre forward problems of recent times. His touch, vision and ability to link up play isn’t so useless now, is it?
Taylor could not stay fit......sorry CANNOT stay fit.......still out for Plymouth. Lucky to get 10 games a season out of him. A luxury we could not afford. No loss IMO.

Taylor could not stay fit......sorry CANNOT stay fit.......still out for Plymouth. Lucky to get 10 games a season out of him. A luxury we could not afford. No loss IMO.

Taylor played yesterday saw him on the highlights gently tap a ball into the luton keepers arms from 2yrds out hes more use to us playing up front for plymouth.

Dunno, it's that dead time in November. Clocks have gone back, not close enough to Christmas, dark and cold. Plus we don't know if the team has stalled in recent weeks or not. Still down in the mire. I think this has 0-0 written all over it but I hope I'm wrong.

Ditto!

Edit:
It should have been. But I'll take it!:love::love:

Bradbury has played 16 national league south games. Smith has played 18 football league games, 8 of those in the championship. To be honest I would say Smith should be offering a lot more than Bradbury right now and should certainly look more of a threat.
Yes he should but he ain’t

Taylor has played 39 games since Feb 17, 43 games for us over 2 years, 55 games for Pompey over 2 years. In fact you have to go back 7 years when he made less than 10 games a season.

Sorry to let facts get in the way of you trying to make your point.

I don’t think people are being negative about HB. But there’s a sense that his performance is being talked up to represent something that it wasn’t.

Hopefully he has a big future for us but yesterday didn’t give me much insight into that eventuality, which is no surprise at this stage of his career.
Quite right. He seems to be a handful. But didn't really effect the game much. But he'll get better with experience. At the moment though he's not the answer to our striker problems.

Quite right. He seems to be a handful. But didn't really effect the game much. But he'll get better with experience. At the moment though he's not the answer to our striker problems.

He’s an answer of sorts. Clearly not a starter in any typical league game but bring him on with twenty minutes to go and he might make things happen. Particularly when opposition defenders are tired and/or on a booking. Might be just what need until January in terms of having something extra coming off the bench.

Back
Top Bottom