Chairman Zaki Steps Down

I wonder in a roundabout kinda way if a certain Mr K may be approached to see if he’s Interested in coming along for a new journey...

In Robinson's iFollow interview prior to Bristol Rovers, he made a big thing of pointing out how well the board have supported him and the club, not just during Covid but in the last two years. He then listed off the names of the board/investors, didn't mention Zaki and Chris Williams didn't correct him, I thought it strange at the time but makes sense now!

In his list, he reeled off Tiger, Horst (Geicke), Erick (Thohir), Anin (Bakrie) and then what sounded like "Barry and "Susie" - any ideas who they are?

In Robinson's iFollow interview prior to Bristol Rovers, he made a big thing of pointing out how well the board have supported him and the club, not just during Covid but in the last two years. He then listed off the names of the board/investors, didn't mention Zaki and Chris Williams didn't correct him, I thought it strange at the time but makes sense now!

In his list, he reeled off Tiger, Horst (Geicke), Erick (Thohir), Anin (Bakrie) and then what sounded like "Barry and "Susie" - any ideas who they are?
Yes. ?

Did Thohir sell his stake in the club and did he just remove himself from the board?

Did Thohir sell his stake in the club and did he just remove himself from the board?
Did he ever have a stake or was he there as a name/professional advisor? I would imagine he had to sever all ties given his Governmental position.

Did he ever have a stake or was he there as a name/professional advisor? I would imagine he had to sever all ties given his Governmental position.

I thought one of the investment vehicles of his owned some of the equity in the holding company that owns OUFC shares but that could be my memory being wrong.

Let's be honest our predictions for oufc since Tiger took over have been quite often wrong. Time will tell.

Not ideal of course. But as an investment banker, when we blew the playoffs, holding your cash in there for another loss making season makes no sense. Quite simply we'll never have a better chance.

Covid then hits and it becomes a total no brainer.

aren’t you the one crying coz we aren’t signing superstars though?

Erm isn't this quite worrying? Maybe prompted by the lack of progress with the stadium as well as by Covid?

My first thought (and concern) upon reading this news.

Seems odd to do this a month into the new season, but I imagine Covid is throwing the spanner in the works for everyone, regardless of the EFL structure...

Oh, and is this going to affect our chances of bringing in new players before the window closes?

Whatever the reasons this can only be a bad thing for OUFC. I thought Zaki always spoke and posted very well. He made me feel the club were doing the right things and moving forward.
It was quite an abrupt resignation so has to be concerning.

Whatever the reasons this can only be a bad thing for OUFC. I thought Zaki always spoke and posted very well. He made me feel the club were doing the right things and moving forward.
It was quite an abrupt resignation so has to be concerning.
The man himself said that he started contemplating and having discussions after the Wembley final 2.5 months ago.... so hardly abrupt, it was just unexpected news to us.

The man himself said that he started contemplating and having discussions after the Wembley final 2.5 months ago.... so hardly abrupt, it was just unexpected news to us.
So abrupt to us then!! As in sudden and unexpected.

Agreed, very nice guy, but has clearly decided that his investment (which at anything below premier league level is going to make you a huge loss) is not worth it especially at the moment. Like all of us who have probably been squeezed more than ever at present on finances has decided to drop out. He was clearly not the main financial backing for the club so i dont see any reason for concern here. Respect his decision and move on.

Erm isn't this quite worrying? Maybe prompted by the lack of progress with the stadium as well as by Covid?
Stadium solution is still some way off. Constantly ongoing process but not close yet. Beware of the foam finger claims - the deadlines have come and gone on those multiple times as it is. Promotion would’ve been helpful on many fronts but we are where we are.

No need to panic as it stands, but will be interesting to see what happens in the months ahead. Will we have new investors?

Back
Top Bottom