Matches You’re never gonna believe us....

Interesting. That’s the first time I’ve seen in the ‘written press’ the genuine possibility that a points per games with home and away records taken into account to finalise the season really could happen.

Which raises some questions;

Would we want/be comfortable to be promoted this way?

Could we survive in the Championship with the probability of no supporters in attendance at matches until 2021?

Would we be more likely to hang onto Dickie and Brannigan & could we afford to?

So do we get promoted if we finish 3rd as no playoffs? Or have I misread and we actually finish 2nd?

Interesting. That’s the first time I’ve seen in the ‘written press’ the genuine possibility that a points per games with home and away records taken into account to finalise the season really could happen.

Could we survive in the Championship with the probability of no supporters in attendance at matches until 2021?

I actually think it would be most advantageous. If we all dont have crowds, we would be reliant on online viewers and the revenue from that. The disparity with us and the club which usually gets the biggest crowds would have less of a dollar impact.

But I still feel us and ALL teams would struggle to keep ALL our players unless there is money from the government and I dont think that will happen.

Here is a link to the adjusted table

I am just asking, but why do you think we "belong" in the championship?
Watching Oxford united from the last non leauge (southern league) season and the first as OXFORD united and the rather fast rise up the football league to (old) division 2 (now the championship) , and more than holding our own there (back then) until (bloody) Orient relegated OUFC for the first time ever- Ive always thought that, what is now the Championship is the level where my team belong - it was 'fun' for the 3 seasons in Division 1 ( now PL) in the 80s - however its the Championship, (around mid table) that I see as where Oxford United should be

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will be promoted. Of course...there are obstacles, not least the Wycombe board - if WW had they have won their game in hand would have gone above us. But even if we do go up, there are still many known unknowns, including how Tiger's finances are going to be looking post-Covid. In order to keep Cameron and Dickie, inter alia, we would need further investment in other players because neither player, nor others we may be able to keep like Taylor, would want to spend a season in the Championship bobbing in and out of the bottom three. Nonetheless, I would be absolutely thrilled if we were to go up...

I am just asking, but why do you think we "belong" in the championship?
I could see us being a bit like Rotherham - yo-yoing betweeen the Championship and League One. If we do get promoted I'd like to last at least two seasons, but unless something major changes either in the EFL funding or our club's funding, I can't see us staying up too long.

I think a lot of older fans think we belong in the championship

But look at Barnsley who kept nabbing our targets, spent good money doing it, and went up in much better fashion than we hopefully do, with much bigger crowds, and they havent come close to sustaining themselves at Championship level

doesn’t mean we couldnt do it but we’d likely be the 23rd ‘biggest’ club in the division, maybe even 24th in today’s world

Wouldnt it be just like us to get promoted in the most bizarre and bonkers way possible?! We‘d obviously deserve it though, nobody can argue with that ?

I would be very comfortable with the promotion if it were to happen. We have been utterly outstanding at times, had momentum when it stopped and played a shedload of Cup games when we beat higher placed clubs.

We'll find out if we can compete as it will be interesting to see what players are available with the financial set up after this. I suspect all clubs will be trimming their senior players anyway and being backed up with Academy players/young pros for depth. We have some very good young pros coming through so may help on that score.

I suspect promotion and the change in the financial situation in English football may make it more likely than before that we could keep Cam and Dickie on new contracts (maybe with a minimum release clause).

After fax gate in the Conference... I'd be very happy to go up like this - unfortunate, yes, but promotion is promotion...

Back
Top Bottom