General Behind The Username

You must be around mid-20's like me. Bash is the first Oxford striker I remember watching. My childhood hero was Dean Whitehead.
Yep, Andy Woodman and Tommy Mooney stick out in my mind - can't remember too many players from that era now but my first game was vs Reading in 2003.

Our old baggy Buildbase shirts are still my favourite. Reminds me of getting up early to watch the ITV highlights show on a Sunday to see if I could spot myself in the East Stand!

Yep, Andy Woodman and Tommy Mooney stick out in my mind - can't remember too many players from that era now but my first game was vs Reading in 2003.

Our old baggy Buildbase shirts are still my favourite. Reminds me of getting up early to watch the ITV highlights show on a Sunday to see if I could spot myself in the East Stand!
My first game was in 01-02ish, Mooney and Woodman stand out for me too. Remember Mooney giving us the finger when he scored against us for Wycombe at Adams Park?

The baggy buildbase shirts are my favourite too. Football felt so special as a kid, fallen out of love with it lately a little

Its good, but its not quite mickbrownsconscience good.
Now for that one you need to listen to Nostradamus by Al Stewart, on which this is a wordplay*. And my previous username was taken from a quote of mine in The Boys From Up The Hill.

* Fan, fan, your time is planned.
I alone know why you stand.
Your dreams are leaves upon the sea.
I am the Voice of Mick Brown's Conscience.
All your hopes are known to me.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: QR
From the stereotype of grumpy gits in the South Stand eating sweets ... though I don’t eat sweets and in comparison with many I’m not that grumpy. Maybe I should change it.

My old computer game handle. Loosely mangled version of my real name. First couple of forums (oxtales) i used my real name, then someone pointed out to me that the internet is “for ever” (that was actually about posting on usenet - as well as rec.sport.soccer I used to post on Uk.misc, and one of the threads I was posting on was cross posted to some loony white power group and a mate pointed out that having my work email address in a white power discussion might not be advisable. Since then I’ve been more secret squirrel.) Like many posters I give enough clues if anyone actually cares who I really am!

From the Manor we are the left side we are the right side, then quite a few lads moved to the corner London road by the Beech road then..... we are the corner London road.

The first player I saw score for Oxford was Nigel Cassidy so that’s the first bit and I thought the username like a password had to have numbers in so I put my birth year in.

Pretty simple one really, why is your username your username.

Obviously, for many like SteMerritt or DidcotOx, it is pretty self-explanatory. But I'd like to know why Sarge is called Sarge, is his surname Sarge or was he in the army? Does Werthers have a taste for werthers originals?

I'll start. Pretty boring really, I've lived in lots of different locations, and I'm a Yellow.
This is an interesting thread Moved alot Oxford fan, or am I just nosey. From stood in the corner cheers.

The first player I saw score for Oxford was Nigel Cassidy so that’s the first bit and I thought the username like a password had to have numbers in so I put my birth year in.
You are considerably older than that.

Back
Top Bottom