National News Your choice of PM

Regardless of your political preference, who from the current PM candidates would be your choice?

• Boris Johnson

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Michael Gove

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Dominic Raab

• Sajid Javid

• Rory Stewart

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Also, Boris has today pledged super fast broadband for the whole country under his leadership. Questions are already being asked about where the billions to pay for this will come from. A commentator has described the job of Boris' first Chancellor as 'challenging'.

It must be a HUGE magic money tree in Downing Street.

They'll promise a gold plated moon on a stick if it gets them up the greasy pole. And then it will be someone else's fault that they can't deliver, I wonder who they'll blame once we leave the EU?

Hi Baz. Depends on your point ofd view, of course. The Tories favour fiscal responsibility. Austerity was a manifesto pledge of theirs. This has meant massively reduced spending on public services, down 70% since 2010. And you wonder why the emergency services and adult care are suffering? You can't have it both ways.

You say Labour would 'spend, spend, spend' as if they were 1960s pools winners. I would say increasing expenditure on the services we all need would be a positive thing. I'd even be willing to pay an extra 2p in the pound income tax to fund it, would you?

The whole notion of 'balancing the domestic books' is not something our economic competitors bother about. Have you seen the US' latest national deficit? They've lost count of the number of zeroes, but they don't care. The bailiffs will not be beating a path to Pennsylvania Avenue.
I would pay an extra 2p as well but there are many that wouldn’t and you know what the other side of the argument would be moaning that they’ve put the tax up, it’s catch 22 it doesn’t matter which party that would raise the tax the other side is always going to moan.

I think the muppet that is residing at Pennsylvania Avenue will spend and spend to try and make him look good and try and make America look good on the world stage but the next incumbent at Pennsylvania Avenue will have some very tough decisions.

Also as an aside I think the banks should now pay back what they were loaned.

It looks like Tory MPs are trying to manoeuvrer Stewart into the last 2 to keep Boris honest.

And Matt Hancock must have been promised a sweeeeet job to endorse Johnson.

Assuming Boris gets the PM job, he will have to keep some of his enemies in the cabinet otherwise he will face problems from those he’s dropped. Philip Hammond is one of those he will need to keep on side as he would be likely to cause trouble on the back benches.
Stewart is one of the intelligent and articulate MPs and it would be much better him being inside the cabinet than out.
Getting the correct balance will be a problem. I think there has to be a place for Gove and Raab, but Johnson will risk cabinet rebellion if he tries to fill all the jobs with brexiters

Assuming Boris gets the PM job, he will have to keep some of his enemies in the cabinet otherwise he will face problems from those he’s dropped. Philip Hammond is one of those he will need to keep on side as he would be likely to cause trouble on the back benches.
Stewart is one of the intelligent and articulate MPs and it would be much better him being inside the cabinet than out.
Getting the correct balance will be a problem. I think there has to be a place for Gove and Raab, but Johnson will risk cabinet rebellion if he tries to fill all the jobs with brexiters

Agreed. He basically faces the same problem that May did.

As I read elsewhere its a good time for a future leader to come third........ let the chosen one (Boris - Leaver) drink from the poisoned chalice & the sacrificial lamb (Hunt-Remainer) take the knife.

Johnson can’t be stopped. He’s going to the final two and the party membership will elect him by a landslide. Can’t wait for all the working class Brexit voters to welcome him with open arms only to realise he’s letting all the rich folk off with paying less tax while they pay more national insurance to fund it. If they’re even perceptive enough to realise it at any point, of course. He’s a ‘good old boy’ after all, and that’s what matters. Not like he wasted over £40m on a bridge that was never completed, or millions more on the French water canons he purchased that aren’t even legal in this country (but how do they have different laws from us when the EU rules every part of our lives?!), or got an already innocent woman an even longer jail sentence in Iran by saying something stupid before shrugging and walking off. To name but a few absolutely catastrophic howlers that show he isn’t even fit to run his own bath, let alone the entire country, particularly at this tumultuous point in time.

I’d prefer Stewart by a million, billion miles to any of the rest of them, but there’s about as much chance of that happening as there is Nigel Farage joining the Lib Dems.

Johnson can’t be stopped. He’s going to the final two and the party membership will elect him by a landslide. Can’t wait for all the working class Brexit voters to welcome him with open arms only to realise he’s letting all the rich folk off with paying less tax while they pay more national insurance to fund it. If they’re even perceptive enough to realise it at any point, of course. He’s a ‘good old boy’ after all, and that’s what matters. Not like he wasted over £40m on a bridge that was never completed, or millions more on the French water canons he purchased that aren’t even legal in this country (but how do they have different laws from us when the EU rules every part of our lives?!), or got an already innocent woman an even longer jail sentence in Iran by saying something stupid before shrugging and walking off. To name but a few absolutely catastrophic howlers that show he isn’t even fit to run his own bath, let alone the entire country, particularly at this tumultuous point in time.

I’d prefer Stewart by a million, billion miles to any of the rest of them, but there’s about as much chance of that happening as there is Nigel Farage joining the Lib Dems.
Obviously a remoaner

If you are remoaner, sorry a remainer, I feel that the Lib Dems, with Chukka as the leader, will be a strong alternative.

I seriously back Boris Johnson to be the new PM. The public like him and he will have a good chance of winning the general election in 2021 if not before. Anyone who can stop Corbyn from becoming PM has my backing. - Lord Sugar.

I know nothing about politics, so I'll probably get shot down but in the debate last night I was most impressed with Dominic Raab, mainly because he was willing to say that it was imperative that the European Union were aware that England would consider leaving the EU with no deal. Not because he wants no deal, but we needed "no deal" as option to enable us to bargain the best possible deal for the country. Michael Hunt immediately jumped on that same bad wagon.

Rory Stewart came across as an annoying little brother but spoke well, and had quite good bants! The rest seemed like your typical smarmy bullshitting political representatives.

I know nothing about politics, so I'll probably get shot down but in the debate last night I was most impressed with Dominic Raab, mainly because he was willing to say that it was imperative that the European Union were aware that England would consider leaving the EU with no deal. Not because he wants no deal, but we needed "no deal" as option to enable us to bargain the best possible deal for the country. Michael Hunt immediately jumped on that same bad wagon.

Rory Stewart came across as an annoying little brother but spoke well, and had quite good bants! The rest seemed like your typical smarmy bullshitting political representatives.
Raab reminds me of a real life incarnation of the late Rick Mayall character, the uber right wing tory politician Alan B'stard o_O

Spot on. And as you say many working class brexiteers are going to have a bit of a wake up call. Boris cares not one iota about anyone below middle class.
Heaven help us!!

Raab reminds me of a real life incarnation of the late Rick Mayall character, the uber right wing tory politician Alan B'stard o_O

Did Alan B'stard want to be a dictator? Raab does if he doesn't get his way over Brexit in Parliament should he win so sod Parliamentary sovereignty etc.

England?
Michael Hunt?

Back
Top Bottom