National News Your choice of PM

Regardless of your political preference, who from the current PM candidates would be your choice?

• Boris Johnson

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Michael Gove

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Dominic Raab

• Sajid Javid

• Rory Stewart

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
I'd have to hose myself down afterwards, but if I had to vote for one of the Tory candidates, I'd probably go for Michael Gove:

1) He was one of the leading members of the Brexit campaign and therefore appropriate that he's at the forefront of trying to sort Brexit out
2) During the Brexit campaign, he was comparatively (unlike, for instance, BoJo) honest about what Brexit actually meant.
3) He has been relatively level-headed and pragmatic during the Brexit debate. He knows it's imperative that Britain gets a deal, and unlike the vast majority of the leading Brexiteers, he's not getting wild idealism get in the way of ensuring a smooth Brexit transition.

Don't get me wrong - I think he's a toad. Just a level-headed, pragmatic toad and that elevates him to the head of this shower.
It's ridiculous that he's seemingly not going to get serious consideration because he took cocaine 20 years ago.

Seems to me that Stewart has been elevated to the darling of the anti-BoJo crowd on the back of a couple of soundbites. It's certainly not because of his track record of political leadership, because that's minimal, and I really fear what's going to happen if we put a comparative political novice in charge right now.
In fact, Stewart he has a perfect CV to make a good Secretary of State for International Development...….hey, whaddaya know, May got one right!

I'd have to wash myself off afterwards, but if I had to vote for one of the Tory candidates, I'd probably go for Michael Gove:

1) He was one of the leading members of the Brexit campaign and therefore appropriate that he's at the forefront of trying to sort Brexit out
2) During the Brexit campaign, he was comparatively (unlike, for instance, BoJo) honest about what Brexit actually meant.
3) He has been relatively level-headed and pragmatic during the Brexit debate. He knows it's imperative that Britain gets a deal, and unlike the vast majority of the leading Brexiteers, he's not getting wild idealism get in the way of ensuring a smooth Brexit transition.

Don't get me wrong - I think he's a toad. Just a level-headed, pragmatic toad and that elevates him to the head of this shower.
It's ridiculous that he's seemingly not going to get serious consideration because he took cocaine 20 years ago.

Seems to me that Stewart has been elevated to the darling of the anti-BoJo crowd on the back of a couple of soundbites. It's certainly not because of his track record of political leadership, because that's minimal, and I really fear what's going to happen if we put a comparative political novice in charge right now.
In fact, Stewart he has a perfect CV to make a good Secretary of State for International Development...….hey, whaddaya know, May got one right!

Tbf, none of them have that much experience unless you are talking general incompetence in post (Hunt and Johnson for instance).

Gove's experience has led to some success/some failure and certainly, imo, the most experienced.

Isn't the issue more that he represents a group of people who will never get into serious bother from cocaine use, while as justice secretary he had responsibility for ensuring a different class of people had their lives systematically ruined due to their cocaine use?

Isn't the issue more that he represents a group of people who will never get into serious bother from cocaine use, while as justice secretary he had responsibility for ensuring a different class of people had their lives systematically ruined due to their cocaine use?

I'm not going to argue that he's not a colossal hypocrite.

But I will argue that at this point in time, with Britain on the edge of the biggest political event in seven decades, personal qualities take a back seat to competence, pragmatism and political savvy. And - albeit in the face of wretched competition, Gove probably comes out #1 on that score.

Course it's all probably a pointless argument. Barring a meltdown tomorrow night, BoJo looks nailed on - and I think disaster is headed the UK's way.

Gove certainly looked the most polished turd candidate last night, but I wonder that, no matter how much he has tried to rebuild his reputation, some MPs will never trust him after the way he screwed over Johnson in the last leadership election. Especially when it left them with May.

Gove..as you say Sarge.. a polished turd..no more/no less than that..
forget him..
I can tell you he's dead meat in the constituency Tory party...Boris will win.

I'd have to hose myself down afterwards, but if I had to vote for one of the Tory candidates, I'd probably go for Michael Gove:

I feel gove is trying to emulate Theresa May, his stance on brexit since the referendum has changed.

• React
Reactions: PQ
None of the above is of course implicit, but sadly this is the choice we (or conservative members) have. Stewart is clearly the most reasoned candidate.

That's not strictly true. With any sort of ballot, there is always the option of drawing a great big penis on the ballot paper to make your point loud and clear!:)

Back
Top Bottom