Other - Rest of the World Your best all time 11

Joey

Saw an interesting challenge today that might distract from the current goings on for a while.

Name your worldwide best 11. Criteria is thus; they must have been playing while you were alive and no two players can be from the same country or played for the same club.

Edit for clarity, it doesn't matter if they played at the same team together, it's not allowed at any point across their careers. For example you couldn't have George Best and Cristiano Ronaldo as they both played for Man U even though it was three decades apart.

Last edited:
Neville Southall

Lilian Thuram
Paolo Maldini
Carles Puyol
Andreas Brehme

Dennis Bergkamp
Paul Gascoigne
Michael Essien
Michael Laudrup

Kenny Dalglish
Zico

I'm not sure that anyone played in the same teams and my mind went blank with suitable centre backs do have put Puyol in at the expense of Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo should be there, but never really liked his arrogance! Zico at the 1982 World Cup, and Dalglish/Rush were the first players I wanted to be so they get the striker positions.

Neville Southall

Lilian Thuram
Paolo Maldini
Carles Puyol
Andreas Brehme

Dennis Bergkamp
Paul Gascoigne
Michael Essien
Michael Laudrup

Kenny Dalglish
Zico

I'm not sure that anyone played in the same teams and my mind went blank with suitable centre backs do have put Puyol in at the expense of Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo should be there, but never really liked his arrogance! Zico at the 1982 World Cup, and Dalglish/Rush were the first players I wanted to be so they get the striker positions.

Brehme was a bit before my time but having a quick Wikipedia he played for Inter, so either him or Bergkamp have to go. Laundrup played for Lazio, Juve and Barca which clashes with Gazza, Thuram and Puyol! It's a lot harder than it looks!

Edit - Essien played for Real Madrid and Milan, so another that clashes with Laundrup and also Maldini. It doesn't matter if they played at a club at the same time as anyone else, just at any point in their career.

Last edited:
Jan Oblak

Roberto Carlos
Virgil van Dijk
Franz Beckenbauer
Paolo Maldini

Michel Platini
Ryan Giggs
Paul Gascoigne
Lionel Messi

Gregorz Lato
Oleg Blokhin

I currently have

Kahn

Srna Godin Ramos Maldini

Keane Gerrard

Messi De Bruyne Nedved

Mbappe

Barron, Langan, Briggs, Roberts , McDonald, R Atkinson, Beauchamp, Hebbard, Roofe Aldridge, Hamilton

I *think* a couple of those might have played for the same team Sarge :)
Good XI though....

You haven't read the rules, or if you have you are not abiding by them, you old anarchist!

You haven't read the rules, or if you have you are not abiding by them, you old anarchist!

OUFC & England are the only club & country I have any interest in ... I dont have, and never will, an all time world 1X
pointless picking me one, as there would be no-one for them to play against.... unless theres an intergalactic league on the horizon? :sneaky:

Mazurkiewicz
Nasazzi (capt)
Godin
Gimenez
Andrade
Torreira
Varela (Obdulio)
Rocha
Cubilla
Schiaffino
Cavani

Last edited:
I once could tell you who the position of clubs in the Football Combination etc and most of the squads in international football and clubs throughout England. Now I'd struggle to tell many of the international players around from when I was watching football up to now. I even forget Oxford players!

But I can remember some random ones:

Schumacher (Gk) - He of this fame:

Benjamin Massing (Def) - Memorable for this:

Dunga (DM) - I have no understanding why I remember him over better midfielders
Michel Platini - He is an a**e though
Gianfranco Zola - Just fantastic.
Diego Maradona - Fantastic player but an utter a**e.

Roger MIlla (ST) - Probably because he and Cameroon made that World Cup more entertaining.

3 of them wouldn't make a best XI.

Jimmy Hill, Dennis Waterman, Cannon out of Cannon and Ball, Limahl from Kajagoogoo and Kevin Webster from Corrie.
Am I close?

Jan Oblak, P Maldini, Jurgen Kohler, Paul McGrath, Roberto Carlos, N Kante, Ronald De Boer, Steven Gerrard, Diego Maradona, Tommy Hutchinson, Mark Viduka

I think the one shooting is Martin from Corrie but the others are, I think correct

Back
Top Bottom