young Oxes axed

Explanation later down the article. 100% behind that reasoning. Especially if they think some of the U18s really have the ability to make it. No point keeping hold of a large number of the 23s if they're not going to threaten the first team. Lots of midfielders already at the club so for Little's career, it makes sense to go and play.

"Those fans who have followed these updates all year will know that we have a very talented young crop of under 18’s who, if we manage them carefully over the coming months, have the potential to reach a very high ceiling. In order to create space for these players to develop further, we have made the decision to run with a smaller group of u23s players for next season. "

I should add that I'm surprised about Little as he has been getting good reports at Woking. I can only think theyl management team don't think he'll be pushing for the 1st team next season or Little himself wants regular 1st team football somewhere so doesn't want a new contract with us.

Have to say I was initially surprised with Little, but at 22 with us already having a wealth of midfield options, plus with budgetary constraints, it does make sense to let him go. I'm sure he'll find a club in League Two for next season.

tiger skint or brexit?

KR said last summer he sacrificed some first team budget to allow the U23s to be formed. With Tiger mentioning we have a reduced budget KR is probably clawing some back along with a handy crop of 18s = U23s get squeezed

KR said last summer he sacrificed some first team budget to allow the U23s to be formed. With Tiger mentioning we have a reduced budget KR is probably clawing some back along with a handy crop of 18s = U23s get squeezed
yeah definitely seems to have paid off. got some good younger ones and they’ll be in good hands with KR

He seems to trust these youngsters whereas the U23s this season it comes across as less so. Hence Little not getting many chances and being loaned out but Lopes getting chances early on.

"It is no secret that there have been some internal financial challenges this season across the club and every department, Academy included, is going to have to adapt to this new landscape for next season."

:unsure:

He seems to trust these youngsters whereas the U23s this season it comes across as less so. Hence Little not getting many chances and being loaned out but Lopes getting chances early on.
Yes agree. I guess that if there is one disappointment , the players brought into the U23s have not really pushed for first team places which has to be the point?
That's assuming that Whyte and Sykes were brought in for the first team squad.
It's important that some of these young players given pro contracts really push in next season.

Yes agree. I guess that if there is one disappointment , the players brought into the U23s have not really pushed for first team places which has to be the point?
That's assuming that Whyte and Sykes were brought in for the first team squad.
It's important that some of these young players given pro contracts really push in next season.
would a relegation scrap have been the right environment to put them in? had we not started poor and found ourselves safe by January, that would've been the time to blood them in

would a relegation scrap have been the right environment to put them in? had we not started poor and found ourselves safe by January, that would've been the time to blood them in
True maybe. But if you are good enough.....
Baptiste was one who came in despite our position and totally proved himself (as did Whyte)

True maybe. But if you are good enough.....
Baptiste was one who came in despite our position and totally proved himself (as did Whyte)
don't think it's just about ability on the pitch, it's the mental strength of being in relegation battle which they wouldn't be prepared for and could be more harmful to their development. hopefully we get to see what they're like in next few games

From the OWS - "It is no secret that there have been some internal financial challenges this season across the club and every department, Academy included, is going to have to adapt to this new landscape for next season. "

Hardly sounds like they're not cutting back.

I'm surprised about Little being let go. I saw him in pre-season and was actually quite sure that he was going to be in the first team squad. Good job I'm not a scout!

Best of luck to all those moving on.

That article *seems* to confirm that the club aren't actively looking to sell Brannagan in the sumnmer.

Back
Top Bottom