General Yesteryear

ON THIS DAY :

April 27th 2013

Sam Long, 18 makes his U’s debut as a substitute in a 3-0 away victory at Accrington in the last game of the 2012-2013
season. Sean Rigg, James Constable and Deane Smalley with the goals.

U’s : Crowcombe - Batt Duberry Raynes Davis - Potter Whing Davies Rigg - Constable Smalley
Subs: Heslop Long & Marsh.

Att: 2,028

ERpTviMWsAEncZe
EEEH, that Accrington bloke looks proper northern! Has he got rickets?

If anyone had said that `86 would be the first of several visits to Wembley I would have laughed at them........... who knew!! :)
Back in those days the only way to Wembley was via the FA or League cup final. No playoff finals

ON THIS DAY :

April 30th 1986

EwHYCgNXIAATGz7

Les Phillips finds the bottom corner with seconds remaining to give the U’s a vital home 1-0 win over
Title chasing Everton at the Manor.

One of the best atmospheres I experienced at the Manor. And a deserved win. That block on the line from Billy Hamilton's header was superb. Oh, and if VAR had existed I reckon John Aldridge's penalty claim for handball against Mountfield would have been given.

Also, Maurice Evans was ahead of his times using a left midfielder as a threat down the centre.

BCnQnnYCMAAcFBA

ON THIS DAY :

May 1st 2001

United play Port Vale in the last competitive fixture at the Manor Ground on this day 20 years ago.
In the hours leading up to the game, United owner Firoz Kassam sacked manager David Kemp and Mike Ford
took charge. A late goal at the Cuckoo Lane End from Andy Scott looked to have given the old ground the perfect
send off but Vale striker Tony Naylor rolled in a soft equaliser past ‘keeper Richard Knight at the death to make it 1-1.

U’s: Knight - Robertson Patterson Hatswell King - Beauchamp Murphy Whitehead Brooks - Omoyinmi Scott
Subs: Holder, Tait & Folland.

Att: 7,080

BCnQnnYCMAAcFBA

ON THIS DAY :

May 1st 2001

United play Port Vale in the last competitive fixture at the Manor Ground on this day 20 years ago.
In the hours leading up to the game, United owner Firoz Kassam sacked manager David Kemp and Mike Ford
took charge. A late goal at the Cuckoo Lane End from Andy Scott looked to have given the old ground the perfect
send off but Vale striker Tony Naylor rolled in a soft equaliser past ‘keeper Richard Knight at the death to make it 1-1.

U’s: Knight - Robertson Patterson Hatswell King - Beauchamp Murphy Whitehead Brooks - Omoyinmi Scott

I remember being so f*****g angry with Knight for letting in such a soft goal tainted one of the most portentous game in our history.

BCnQnnYCMAAcFBA

ON THIS DAY :

May 1st 2001

It’s a shame we couldn’t have stayed at the Manor another 20 years. We wouldn’t have needed an all seater stadium until now.

It’s a shame we couldn’t have stayed at the Manor another 20 years. We wouldn’t have needed an all seater stadium until now.
Bloody hell I loved the Manor, basically grew up there like a lot of us.... but another 20 years there, I don't think it could of stood up that long let alone of still of held us fans!!!!

Back in the Conference days we had a member of the training team. Small, bald headed,lots of tattoos I think his Christian name was Shaun and he either arrived here from Torquay via Portsmouth or left here for Torquay. Anyone know his surname ? its doing my head in for no other reason than he was mentioned in a text conversation with a friend a few days ago.

Back in the Conference days we had a member of the training team. Small, bald headed,lots of tattoos I think his Christian name was Shaun and he either arrived here from Torquay via Portsmouth or left here for Torquay. Anyone know his surname ? its doing my head in for no other reason than he was mentioned in a text conversation with a friend a few days ago.
Shaun north rings a bell somewhere

As @Oxford57 said it could be Shaun North, have a look at this link and see if it is who you are looking for:

5th May 1987
Luton 2
Oxford 3

We secure first division survival with a dramatic win at Luton — plastic pitch, away fan ban and all. Leading 2-0, we concede two late goals only to go up the other end and nick the win. Superb cross from John Dreyer and finish from Dean Saunders.
The highlights below were only posted to YouTube recently. I’d been waiting 34 years to see these goals for the first time!

5th May 1987
Luton 2
Oxford 3

We secure first division survival with a dramatic win at Luton — plastic pitch, away fan ban and all. Leading 2-0, we concede two late goals only to go up the other end and nick the win. Superb cross from John Dreyer and finish from Dean Saunders.
The highlights below were only posted to YouTube recently. I’d been waiting 34 years to see these goals for the first time!
I remember it well being sat behind the goal when Deano headed the winner...

Back
Top Bottom