General Yesteryear

Broadcast at 12 midday today - Shrews 2 Oxford 2 from March 2012.

We should be doing something similar as we must have coverage like this. I'm sure Rad Ox wouldn't object to their commentary be used alongside it.

On that game, I forgot Oli Johnson existed, nevermind recognising him on the right side until the commentator mentioned his name. Also, the Commentary is magnificently bias, although they did complain about Clarkey getting booked.

And, "Dooooobbbbs".

We should be doing something similar as we must have coverage like this. I'm sure Rad Ox wouldn't object to their commentary be used alongside it.

On that game, I forgot Oli Johnson existed, nevermind recognising him on the right side until the commentator mentioned his name. Also, the Commentary is magnificently bias, although they did complain about Clarkey getting booked.

And, "Dooooobbbbs".

The same Oli Johnson who scored the winner in our 2-0 win over that lot after Beano’s elbow you mean? Come on mate!

Watching 'The Big Match' from 17th Aug 1974 on BT Sport. Oxford Utd appear in the opening titles conceding against Sunderland in a 1-0 defeat at the Manor on 15th Sept 1973. 93473676_10158093912858609_7660785951576162304_o.jpg

OK I'll have a go first.
That's Dave Roberts, Dick Lucas and Roy Burton.
Then probably Steve Aylott?.
And on the right that is Geoff Bray (again- see page 12 of this thread).
reckon you called it right @harringtonsghost .... agree re Dave Roberts, Dick Lucas & Roy Burton .... 11 could be Geoff Bray ? ,,,,not certain at all re t'other player in Yellow, Steve Aylott seems right for '73?

ON THIS DAY - April 30th 1986

A late goal from Les Phillips denies Everton the title and kept alive United's hopes of beating the drop.
Rember this game vividly, I was in the Osler. We battered them second half, missed a few great chances. When the goal went in, we thought that would keep us up, only to play appallingly against Forest the following Saturday.

Rember this game vividly, I was in the Osler. We battered them second half, missed a few great chances. When the goal went in, we thought that would keep us up, only to play appallingly against Forest the following Saturday.

That was one of best atmospheres at the Manor I've ever experienced, it was just electric.

This followed and I don't remember seeing it before:

ON THIS DAY - May 2nd 1988

The last top flight game played at the Manor sees the U's - managed by Mark Lawrenson - lose 0-2 to Manchester United in front of just 8,966.
Viv Anderson and Gordon Strachan for the Reds.

OUFC : Judge: Bardsley, Greenall, Caton, Dreyer; Mustoe, Hebberd, L.Phillips, Rhoades-Brown; Saunders, Foyle.

ON THIS DAY - May 2nd 1988

The last top flight game played at the Manor sees the U's - managed by Mark Lawrenson - lose 0-2 to Manchester United in front of just 8,966.
Viv Anderson and Gordon Strachan for the Reds.

OUFC : Judge: Bardsley, Greenall, Caton, Dreyer; Mustoe, Hebberd, L.Phillips, Rhoades-Brown; Saunders, Foyle.
Didn't man u miss 2 penalties in that game?

I was in the Osler too. Great atmosphere as usual and wild scenes at the end all around the ground.
I remember rushing home to see the highlights on Sportsnight!!

ON THIS DAY - May 10th 2010

MK Dons FC chairman Pete Winkelman appoints Karl Robinson, 29 as the club's new manager to replace Paul Ince.
Robinson is the Football League's youngest ever manager and signs a one year rolling contract at Stadium MK.

ON THIS DAY : 15th November 1980

The U’s defeat Chester at the Manor thanks to a second half close range winner from Joe Cooke at the Cuckoo Lane End.
The game was United’s FIRST HOME WIN of the 1980-81 season and witnessed by the club’s lowest ever league attendance of 2,526.

I was in the Manor Ground (Beech Road terrace) on that cold, dark and damp November afternoon and reckon the ‘actual‘ attendance was nearer to half that!

United : Burton Kingston Cooke Briggs Fogg Jeffrey Brock McIntosh Foley Berry Cassells.

The following week United beat Aldershot 1-0 at the Manor in the FA Cup.

ON THIS DAY : 22nd November 2008

Darren Patterson’s U’s are thrashed 5-2 at Histon in the Blue Square Conference Premier.
Patterson was sacked a week or so after this embarrassing defeat.

United : Billy Turley ; Matthew Day, Chris Willmott, Luke Foster, Chris Carruthers; Sam Deering, Adam Murray, Eddie Hutchinson,
Phil Trainer; Jamie Guy, James Constable.

Att: 1,242

Back
Top Bottom