General Yesteryear

Crewe.A vs. Oufc, and the promotion dream was back on, knowing the result we needed against Peterborough....

That was the day Crewe didn't make the game all ticket, so many Oxford turned up they had to open the ground early to let the fans & when the players came out it was like a Manor ground atmosphere, with some home Crewe fans locked out!!

Fairy sure that was my first away game.
Certainly most memorable with people waving flags and singing promotion songs, I was hooked.

That was the day Crewe didn't make the game all ticket, so many Oxford turned up they had to open the ground early to let the fans & when the players came out it was like a Manor ground atmosphere, with some home Crewe fans locked out!!

Remember Oxford fans simple sat where they could in that side wooden stand, with planks as seats, right by the players entrance.

ON THIS DAY :

March 11th 2006

Referee Trevor Kettle awards Stockport Co. an 87th spot-kick after Jon Ashton wipes out County striker Tesfaye Bramble in the box.
Adam Le Fondre rolls in the pen.for a 2-1 win and United are staring into the non-league abyss.
Acting directors Bill Smith and Brendon Cross ( Firoz Ka££am was in talks to sell the U's at the time ) sack manager Brian Talbot in the wake of the defeat.

Without checking I seem to remember if this game had stayed at 1-1 and other results after remained the same Stockport would have been relegated not us. Lots of ifs and buts I know but small margins eh!

ON THIS DAY :

March 15th 2014

Chesterfield 3-0 Oxford Utd

The U's , under caretaker boss Mickey Lewis, finish the game with just EIGHT players after both Michael Raynes and Tom Newey
were sent off and Johnny Mullins was stretchered off late on.

You just don’t get these celebrations anymore. I used to love Martin Aldridge’s Somersaults
There's a nice bit in Peter Crouch's book about celebrations. (I can't remember much detail apart from the obvious stuff like The Robot, Cantona, Beckham, Brehme etc, but his description of the effort players put into thinking about celebrations, and how many fail, and how many we never see, is interesting).

ON THIS DAY :

March 15th 2014

Chesterfield 3-0 Oxford Utd

The U's , under caretaker boss Mickey Lewis, finish the game with just EIGHT players after both Michael Raynes and Tom Newey
were sent off and Johnny Mullins was stretchered off late on.

That game was a clear indication of which team were going places and which team were headed for stormy weather.

Or something.

It's ironic to say the least that was the first game I managed to see as I was avoiding large groups of people due to chemotherapy, a year later , look where we are, I hope the season will resume sometime ,it's a waste of brain power trying to guess when that might be ,just remember the good times so far

Back
Top Bottom