General Yesteryear

On this day in 1997 - the U’s sold Matt Elliott to Leicester for a then record fee of £1.6m.

IIRC we played Wolves away the weekend before and Matt E was , fairly obviously, trying not to get injured. I can remember a fair few of us "telling him what we thought"............... with Mrs Elliott (a fine looking lass) in the row of seats in front! :ROFLMAO:

Isn’t this the game we all got FREE tickets for after the original game was abandoned ?
Isn’t this the game we all got FREE tickets for after the original game was abandoned ?
I think we queued and paid for the first, then went to the back of the queue and got another for free which we passed on...….but memory what it is!!

The electrician who put 50p. in the meter happened to be a visiting Oxford fan.

We all then wished he hadn’t bothered.

Shotts was at one of the abandoned games as we were chatting to him for ages whilst we waited before it was called off.

I thought it at the time and it still bugs me today - if only young Elliott Jackson had had the courage of his convictions and dived fully instead of seeming to semi-pull out at the last second, he would have been a hero instead of another in the list of forgotten keepers from that era.....

On This Day February 1st 1992 :

Oxford U 5 - 2 Newcastle U

Big Steve Foster (2), Trevor Aylott, Paul Simpson & John Durnin with the goals
that saw the Geordies sack manager Osvaldo Ardiles shortly afterwards.

U’s: Veysey, Foster, Jackson, Evans, Melville, Beauchamp, Lewis, Magilton, Durnin, Aylott, Simpson

Brighton 0-3 Oxford Utd:

United lined up at the Goldstone as follows:

Kenny Veysey; Garry Smart, Ceri Evans, Andy Melville, Mike Ford - Mark Stein, Lee Nogan, Lee Gardner, Paul Simpson - John Durnin, Martin Foyle.

Goals from : Evans, Foyle & Durnin.
Interesting to see our gate yesterday was bigger than Brighton’s that day. #anotheralwaysinourshadow ?

Smoke bombs, crash barriers & hoarding trown on to the pitch, referee Eric Reid felled by a coin .(after allowing a scum goal to stand despite oufc keeper being evoloped in smoke & unsighted)... 37 years ago o_O

Smoke bombs, crash barriers & hoarding trown on to the pitch, referee Eric Reid felled by a coin .(after allowing a scum goal to stand despite oufc keeper being evoloped in smoke & unsighted)... 37 years ago o_O

37 years on , earlier today, oufc u18s beat scum u18s 3-0 , our keeper saved a pen, chaos after (for scum) scum keeper howler for the first, lopez sent off for punching a scum player in a melee, young U's go on to win 3-0 and P**s on scum youngsters title aspirations :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom