General Yesteryear

Think that was my one and only trip to Nene Park - vague memories that Oldfield's goal was an absolute worldy?

I can't remember the goals but that overhead goal line clearance by Matty Bound is etched in my memory.

Rockingham Road was a fantastic atmosphere on the Tuesday night game there, a lovely old school ground. Nene Park had that fabulous away end which put our East Stand to shame.
Rockingham Road had a terrible flat terrace that gave an awful view IIRC and was in severe need of refurbishment or at least mending! Nene Park (which is/was the nearest ground to me) was a smashing little stadium, but in the end the whole enterprise proved why a 'constructed' team made by merging two other teams together is a bad idea. Thames Valley Royals, anyone?

Read an article recently pointing out that the EFL has lost many clubs with decent fan bases like Notts Co. Chesterfield, Stockport County anf Grimsby, to be replaced by FGR, Sutton, Harrogate and Salford. Cliubs who can barely muster 2K crowds. Most likely Bromley and Boreham Wood have promotion ambitions.

The writer points out all of this may lead to a reduction in average attendances in the future. A worrying trend
I think it's only worrying if you think that average crowd numbers are the be all and end all. I suppose you could stop this scenario by not allowing 'big' clubs to be relegated or 'small' clubs to be promoted, but that would be the end of the pyramid structure and spell disaster. The fact that the likes of those less supported teams can get into the league is IMO a good thing.

And presumably (I haven't looked) those ex-league clubs you mention are still getting decent gates in non-league, so if you average out attendances over the Prem, EFL and National league (which is really Div 5 now) there isn't much change over all.

After Rushden went under, Kettering Town played there for a period.

Both Nene Park and Rockingham Road have been dismantled for housing. A real shame, Rockingham Road was a fantastic atmosphere on the Tuesday night game there, a lovely old school ground. Nene Park had that fabulous away end which put our East Stand to shame.
Seem to remember getting to the ground one time and the game was postponed due to a frozen pitch, have I got that right? Also was it a Boxing Day game?
All a bit vague in the old memory I’m afraid.

I think it's only worrying if you think that average crowd numbers are the be all and end all. I suppose you could stop this scenario by not allowing 'big' clubs to be relegated or 'small' clubs to be promoted, but that would be the end of the pyramid structure and spell disaster. The fact that the likes of those less supported teams can get into the league is IMO a good thing.

And presumably (I haven't looked) those ex-league clubs you mention are still getting decent gates in non-league, so if you average out attendances over the Prem, EFL and National league (which is really Div 5 now) there isn't much change over all.
I don’t like the way that some small clubs seem to buy promotion. But I’m not aware that’s the case with Harrogate and Sutton, and the latter were for a long time a famous non league club, just like Wycombe were in their day and we were before them.

Seem to remember getting to the ground one time and the game was postponed due to a frozen pitch, have I got that right? Also was it a Boxing Day game?
That is absolutely right because we pulled up outside the ground and wondered why fans were walking back to their cards! Pain.

It was NYD 2010 I believe that the Rushden game was frozen off. Etched in the memory because I went to the game, found it had been called off late and then totalled my car on some black ice on a little country road driving back. Awful day overall, though thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride! Shame it's been turned into housing now before I had the chance to tick it off...lots of proper old school grounds seem to be getting knocked down and turned into living quarters these days.

I don’t like the way that some small clubs seem to buy promotion. But I’m not aware that’s the case with Harrogate and Sutton, and the latter were for a long time a famous non league club, just like Wycombe were in their day and we were before them.
Buying success isn't just the prerogative of 'small' clubs. Look at the Prem!

Buying success isn't just the prerogative of 'small' clubs. Look at the Prem!
It does amuse me that the 'Plastic Mancs' at work go on about Man City 'buying' the title, but then argue what they have spent over the last few years is completely different...

Indeed.
Yes but Man City and United do actually have fans and people who would be interested in them whichever league they were in - unlike Salford
They do, but the level of spending far outstrips the money provided by the paying fans.

On the other hand if our 'new' owners (if/when?) decide to spend a wedge to get us up to being a fixture in the Championship I suspect few of us will moan too loudly...

It does amuse me that the 'Plastic Mancs' at work go on about Man City 'buying' the title, but then argue what they have spent over the last few years is completely different...
It is though.

Man. Utd's revenue is earnt, Man. City's has largely been donated; the same applies to Chelsea (and all the other versions of those clubs abroad). Those donations have inflated the costs for all the other clubs and there's a knock-on effect for the whole pyramid.

I dislike Man. Utd and Liverpool, but I'd rather those clubs won the titles than artificial versions of Man. City and Chelsea.

Indeed.

They do, but the level of spending far outstrips the money provided by the paying fans.

On the other hand if our 'new' owners (if/when?) decide to spend a wedge to get us up to being a fixture in the Championship I suspect few of us will moan too loudly...

We didn't when Maxwell was chairman.

I wonder if we have learnt from it?

It was NYD 2010 I believe that the Rushden game was frozen off. Etched in the memory because I went to the game, found it had been called off late and then totalled my car on some black ice on a little country road driving back. Awful day overall, though thankfully the only thing hurt was my pride! Shame it's been turned into housing now before I had the chance to tick it off...lots of proper old school grounds seem to be getting knocked down and turned into living quarters these days.
We were on the A43 looking forward to the Boxing Day fixture to be dashed about 2 hours before kick off

It is though.

Man. Utd's revenue is earnt, Man. City's has largely been donated; the same applies to Chelsea (and all the other versions of those clubs abroad). Those donations have inflated the costs for all the other clubs and there's a knock-on effect for the whole pyramid.

I dislike Man. Utd and Liverpool, but I'd rather those clubs won the titles than artificial versions of Man. City and Chelsea.
AFC Bournemouth’s has also been donated

I am sure we had a Boxing Day home fixture called off at the last moment

I am sure we had a Boxing Day home fixture called off at the last moment
We did (or it might have been a Dec 28th fixture) due to a lack of proper covers and despite the youth team being made to run up and down the worst affected areas.

We were on the A43 looking forward to the Boxing Day fixture to be dashed about 2 hours before kick off
So I saw the comment at the top about Rushdens ground being knocked down, a mention of a frozen-off match and (wrongly) assumed it was the away game we were taking about. Had no idea I had missed the boat completely and we were talking about Minchery Farm. Duh!

Nene Park ... the 5-0 drubbing in 2007 when poor old JS must have had one of his worst moments in managing us (the give us a wave thing).

But, a better visit in 2010 for the play off first leg.

Jim Smith's last game as a permanent manager for us. Aside from that and the final score, it give us one other memorable moment ...

Back
Top Bottom