General Yesteryear

Left of the pic (as you look at it) John Shuker who between 1961 and 1977 made an Oxford United FC football league appearance record of 482 appearances (scoring 46 goals)... towards the end of his time at Oxford United Shuk's was club captain

He had a testimonial match at The Manor in May 1972 ....against Manchester City
Wonder if he'll be guest of honour September 25th?

not 100% but is the high kicking Us player Mick Tait? with Andy McCullogh just behind him? .... no idea who the U's players 2nd furthest & furthest away on the right of the pic are?

Ah John Shuker, every time he took a penalty at The cuckoo Lane end the air raid sirens used to go off in the John Radcliffe ?

https://goo.gl/images/1Wchyb

One from 1976-77 - Northampton Town away at the County Ground.
Oxford Utd lost 1-0.
Great pic this one (despite the context) as this was my first ever away game - I was sat in that stand in the background as a 10 year old with my Dad!
This was the game that we got a mention on Match of the Day that evening, Jimmy Hill said "Oxford United fans have been involved in the worst crowd trouble seen so far this season", IIRC a burger van was tipped over amongst it all....

The following Saturday we were back up the A43 for my second ever away game - Kettering in the FA Cup.....

Great pic this one (despite the context) as this was my first ever away game - I was sat in that stand in the background as a 10 year old with my Dad!
This was the game that we got a mention on Match of the Day that evening, Jimmy Hill said "Oxford United fans have been involved in the worst crowd trouble seen so far this season", IIRC a burger van was tipped over amongst it all....

The following Saturday we were back up the A43 for my second ever away game - Kettering in the FA Cup.....

Oxford fans causing trouble in the 70’s? Never ?

Oxford’s 23 league match unbeaten run comes to an end at Maine Road, Manchester.
A goal from Steve Kinsey in the 87th minute divided the teams.

If memory serves me correctly Bobby Mac had a very late equaliser chalked off.
Yeah he did, think it was Brock offside, although he didn't play, or attempt to play, the ball at any point. These days he wouldn't have been flagged, but back then there was no 'interfering with play' clause.

Still, did them 3-0 at The Manor ?

Remember the Bobby Mac disallowed goal well, we also had 2 stonewall pens waved away, the brief highlights of this were on the TV on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately I videoed the wrong TV channel by mistake (only the second time I ever made that mistake, the other one was the 4-1 Milk Cup defeat at Everton). Sods law dicates that neither footage has ever surfaced again to my knowledge.

The Forest game was the 70s equivalent of the recent Man City game. As a 12 year old it was incredible to see the Manor so packed and to see our team on the same pitch as the Forest stars, Shilton was in goal I recall.

Remember the Bobby Mac disallowed goal well, we also had 2 stonewall pens waved away, the brief highlights of this were on the TV on Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately I videoed the wrong TV channel by mistake (only the second time I ever made that mistake, the other one was the 4-1 Milk Cup defeat at Everton). Sods law dicates that neither footage has ever surfaced again to my knowledge.

The Forest game was the 70s equivalent of the recent Man City game. As a 12 year old it was incredible to see the Manor so packed and to see our team on the same pitch as the Forest stars, Shilton was in goal I recall.

The thing I remember most from the evening of the Forest match was that the windows of our school - Windmill First - got smashed in. Most of us enjoyed that more than the 5-0 scoreline

Must admit, I didn’t think is was billy, wasn’t nick lowe a bit chunkier than that.

I should know better than to disagree with the acknowledged expert 'oufcrealist' but I don't remember Billy Jeffrey ever having his hair like that, are you sure that's not Nick Lowe?
I should know better than to disagree with the acknowledged expert 'oufcrealist' but I don't remember Billy Jeffrey ever having his hair like that, are you sure that's not Nick Lowe?
I've changed my mind. Its not Nick Lowe though. It's the left back Steve Flay.

Back
Top Bottom