General Yesteryear

Oslernorth

BCnQnnYCMAAcFBA

ON THIS DAY :

May 1st 2001

United play Port Vale in the last competitive fixture at the Manor Ground on this day 20 years ago.
In the hours leading up to the game, United owner Firoz Kassam sacked manager David Kemp and Mike Ford
took charge. A late goal at the Cuckoo Lane End from Andy Scott looked to have given the old ground the perfect
send off but Vale striker Tony Naylor rolled in a soft equaliser past ‘keeper Richard Knight at the death to make it 1-1.

U’s: Knight - Robertson Patterson Hatswell King - Beauchamp Murphy Whitehead Brooks - Omoyinmi Scott
Subs: Holder, Tait & Folland.

Att: 7,080
It’s a shame we couldn’t have stayed at the Manor another 20 years. We wouldn’t have needed an all seater stadium until now.

Oxt1

It’s a shame we couldn’t have stayed at the Manor another 20 years. We wouldn’t have needed an all seater stadium until now.
Bloody hell I loved the Manor, basically grew up there like a lot of us.... but another 20 years there, I don't think it could of stood up that long let alone of still of held us fans!!!!

mariokempes

Back in the Conference days we had a member of the training team. Small, bald headed,lots of tattoos I think his Christian name was Shaun and he either arrived here from Torquay via Portsmouth or left here for Torquay. Anyone know his surname ? its doing my head in for no other reason than he was mentioned in a text conversation with a friend a few days ago.

Oxford57

Back in the Conference days we had a member of the training team. Small, bald headed,lots of tattoos I think his Christian name was Shaun and he either arrived here from Torquay via Portsmouth or left here for Torquay. Anyone know his surname ? its doing my head in for no other reason than he was mentioned in a text conversation with a friend a few days ago.
Shaun north rings a bell somewhere

Oxt1

As @Oxford57 said it could be Shaun North, have a look at this link and see if it is who you are looking for:

Another Melbourne Ox

5th May 1987
Luton 2
Oxford 3

We secure first division survival with a dramatic win at Luton — plastic pitch, away fan ban and all. Leading 2-0, we concede two late goals only to go up the other end and nick the win. Superb cross from John Dreyer and finish from Dean Saunders.
The highlights below were only posted to YouTube recently. I’d been waiting 34 years to see these goals for the first time!

stokeu

5th May 1987
Luton 2
Oxford 3

We secure first division survival with a dramatic win at Luton — plastic pitch, away fan ban and all. Leading 2-0, we concede two late goals only to go up the other end and nick the win. Superb cross from John Dreyer and finish from Dean Saunders.
The highlights below were only posted to YouTube recently. I’d been waiting 34 years to see these goals for the first time!
I remember it well being sat behind the goal when Deano headed the winner...

stokeu

We were banned but my boss was a Luton ST holder, his wife didn't ever go midweek and stayed home looking after the kids

SteMerritt

Staff member
I intended to post on Sunday but completely forgot!

May 2nd 1992 Great escape at Prenton Park, one of my favourite Oxford away trips. 😎

29 years ago! 😮
Was there for that, fabulous day. We celebrated on the way back in one of the motorway services with a group of Chelsea fans who spotted our colours and came over with some beers, they had won at Everton the same day. Fantastic memories.

BeechRoadUpper

Was there for that, fabulous day. We celebrated on the way back in one of the motorway services with a group of Chelsea fans who spotted our colours and came over with some beers, they had won at Everton the same day. Fantastic memories.

Yes, amazing day out! I was 11 at the time and it felt like we had 5,000 fans in that away end though in reality it was much less!

I have a memory all the other results at the bottom were going against us at ht 🤔

WestOxon U’s

5th May 1987
Luton 2
Oxford 3

Never seen those goals before. Hated that horrible plastic pitch.

All three Oxford goals came from superb crosses. Luton’s two also came from great deliveries.

If memory serves me correctly that Oxford win sent Leicester down ?

SteMerritt

Staff member
If memory serves me correctly that Oxford win sent Leicester down ?
Not directly, they still had 1 game to play, which was... Away to Oxford. That finished in a draw, Leicester went down, Charlton went into the playoffs. Back then playoffs were 1 from top flight, 3 from Division 2.

Cass63

Is that the game where the Leicester fans were climbing the floodlights and jumping off. (Not from the top obviously)

Top Bottom