General Yesteryear

We were banned but my boss was a Luton ST holder, his wife didn't ever go midweek and stayed home looking after the kids

We were banned but my boss was a Luton ST holder, his wife didn't ever go midweek and stayed home looking after the kids
The few I know who went registered with Luton under Bucks postcodes a month or so before to get round it.

I intended to post on Sunday but completely forgot!

May 2nd 1992 Great escape at Prenton Park, one of my favourite Oxford away trips. 😎

29 years ago! 😮
Was there for that, fabulous day. We celebrated on the way back in one of the motorway services with a group of Chelsea fans who spotted our colours and came over with some beers, they had won at Everton the same day. Fantastic memories.

Was there for that, fabulous day. We celebrated on the way back in one of the motorway services with a group of Chelsea fans who spotted our colours and came over with some beers, they had won at Everton the same day. Fantastic memories.

Yes, amazing day out! I was 11 at the time and it felt like we had 5,000 fans in that away end though in reality it was much less!

I have a memory all the other results at the bottom were going against us at ht 🤔

5th May 1987
Luton 2
Oxford 3

We secure first division survival with a dramatic win at Luton — plastic pitch, away fan ban and all. Leading 2-0, we concede two late goals only to go up the other end and nick the win. Superb cross from John Dreyer and finish from Dean Saunders.
The highlights below were only posted to YouTube recently. I’d been waiting 34 years to see these goals for the first time!
Never seen those goals before. Hated that horrible plastic pitch.

All three Oxford goals came from superb crosses. Luton’s two also came from great deliveries.

If memory serves me correctly that Oxford win sent Leicester down ?

If memory serves me correctly that Oxford win sent Leicester down ?
Not directly, they still had 1 game to play, which was... Away to Oxford. That finished in a draw, Leicester went down, Charlton went into the playoffs. Back then playoffs were 1 from top flight, 3 from Division 2.

Is that the game where the Leicester fans were climbing the floodlights and jumping off. (Not from the top obviously)

Is that the game where the Leicester fans were climbing the floodlights and jumping off. (Not from the top obviously)
That was the FACup game earlier in the same season I recall ( 2-0 yellows FACup) .
Dean Saunders sent off for awful studs thigh high which left marks you could see from the London Rd league match, meaningless match for us as well !!!

ON THIS DAY :

May 11th 1968

David Sloan nets the winner as United defeat Southport 1-0 at the Manor which means United win the third division championship.
Bury finished runners-up , just a point behind the U’s on 56 points.

U’s: Barron - Lloyd Kyle Clarke Smithson - Sloan R.Atkinson Skeen Harrington - Bullock G.Atkinson

Att: 14,038

CekamVaWQAEeC4-

DX37hZOXcAc9Aq_

ON THIS DAY :

United are crowned second division championship winners after thrashing visitors Barnsley 4-0 at the Manor.
The U’s score all four goals in the first half thanks to Bobby McDonald, John Aldridge (2) and Jeremy Charles.
Birmingham City finished runners-up with Manchester City also promoted.

U’s: Hardwick - Langan Briggs Shotton McDonald - McDermott Hebberd Trewick Brock - Charles Aldridge
Sub: Thomas

Att: 13,196

Dx7tC1eXcAEcJ6w

ON THIS DAY :

May 11th 1968

David Sloan nets the winner as United defeat Southport 1-0 at the Manor which means United win the third division championship.
Bury finished runners-up , just a point behind the U’s on 56 points.

U’s: Barron - Lloyd Kyle Clarke Smithson - Sloan R.Atkinson Skeen Harrington - Bullock G.Atkinson

Att: 14,038

CekamVaWQAEeC4-

DX37hZOXcAc9Aq_

Would have seen us finish 17th this year.

#turnerout

..... in 1967-68 we only won FOUR away games but won18 at home.

Looking at all the stats across the league - why were away wins so difficult to come by in those days?

Back
Top Bottom