General Yesteryear

I seem to be able to remember and name the line ups better from the 1970's and early 80's than I can last season!
But who was Thomas in goal?
After Mick Kearns, in 1971 ish, it was Roy Burton all the way though to Jim Smith early days apart from John Milkins had a short spell and so did (someone) Brown. Roy Burton eventually gave way to Hardwick.
Thomas? Really cannot remember him.

I seem to be able to remember and name the line ups better from the 1970's and early 80's than I can last season!
But who was Thomas in goal?
After Mick Kearns, in 1971 ish, it was Roy Burton all the way though to Jim Smith early days apart from John Milkins had a short spell and so did (someone) Brown. Roy Burton eventually gave way to Hardwick.
Thomas? Really cannot remember him.
Kevin Thomas, played several times for us if I remember correctly - tall goalkeeper.

ON THIS DAY : April 1st 1991

United stun Ron Atkinson’s promotion chasing Owls with a superb 2-0 Easter Monday win at Hillsborough.
John Durnin and Paul Simpson for Oxford. U’s ’keeper Kenny Veysey saves a John Sheridan penalty.

U‘s : Veysey - Robinson Foster Melville Ford - Nogan Lewis Magilton Simpson - Foyle Durnin

Att: 28,682

EUgl6vVX0AA6IKI

Of course to be a TRUE supporter you must have watched us play Hastings , Dover and (god forbid but I actually have seen them) Lovells Athletic.
Damn. Need to up my game, only seen us play Dover from that list. It was away, does that get me extra credit?

ON THIS DAY : April 2nd 1985

Promotion chasing United are heavily beaten 3-0 by Barnsley at Oakwell in a match that sees striker
John Aldridge have a second half penalty saved by Tykes ‘keeper Clive Baker. The only spot kick he missed for The U’s ?
Winger Gordon Owen nets a hat-trick for Barnsley.

U’s: Hardwick - Charles Briggs Shotton McDonald - Brock Trewick Hebberd Rhoades-Brown - Aldridge Hamilton
Sub: McDermott

Att: 6,029

DxDxDlzWoAAPMfp

ON THIS DAY : Sunday April 2nd 2017

United concede early at Wembley in the Checkatrade Final on this day four years ago to Coventry City.
The Sky Blues beat the heavily backed U’s 2-1 thanks to goals from Gael Bigirimana and George Thomas.
Liam Sercombe replied for The U’s.

U’s : Eastwood - Edwards Dunkley Nelson Johnson - Rothwell Lundstram Ledson - Hall Hemmings Maguire
Subs: Ruffels & Sercombe

Att: 74,424

C8hLlD1XcAQQflC

United concede early at Wembley in the Checkatrade Final on this day four years ago to Coventry City.
The Sky Blues beat the heavily backed U’s 2-1 thanks to goals from Gael Bigirimana and George Thomas.

U’s : Eastwood - Edwards Dunkley Nelson Johnson - Rothwell Lundstram Ledson - Hall Hemmings Maguire

C8hLlD1XcAQQflC

Painful memory that game. We played so bad for the 1st 70 mins. It was so frustrating. Cov wern't even a good team that day either.

C8hLlD1XcAQQflC

That wasn't yesteryear, that was yesterday.... wasn't it?

It’s not the right date , but some Easter memories , good Friday games at home against Birmingham city , huge crowds, seeing the wonder kid Trevor Francis, Nigel Cassidy scoring the winning goal in one game , packed like sardines in the cuckoo lane end ,Easter 73 was spent in Leeds with grandparents, dad and his brothers went to Elland rd to see Leeds getting turned over by Burnley, I being above first division football went on a cheap day return to middlesborough to see the mighty yellows in action, middlesborough were running away with the league, despite a heroic display from Roy burton we lost 1-0

awful trip back to Leeds , missed the correct connection and had to wait 90 minutes in Darlington in the freezing cold for a train , some journeys leave a lasting impression!

ON THIS DAY : April 3rd 1982

New signing Trevor Hebberd opens his U’s account in a 2-1 win at Griffin Park, Brentford who featured Stan Bowles,
Ron Harris and Chris Kamara. Peter Foley scored the other goal for Oxford. Bob Booker replied for Brentford.

U’s : Burton - Fogg Briggs Shotton Smithers - Lawrence Train Jeffrey Brock - Foley Hebberd

Att: 5,786

EVkUNpMXsAYzeeI

ON THIS DAY : April 3rd 1982

New signing Trevor Hebberd opens his U’s account in a 2-1 win at Griffin Park, Brentford who featured Stan Bowles,
Ron Harris and Chris Kamara. Peter Foley scored the other goal for Oxford. Bob Booker replied for Brentford.

U’s : Burton - Fogg Briggs Shotton Smithers - Lawrence Train Jeffrey Brock - Foley Hebberd

Att: 5,786

EVkUNpMXsAYzeeI
Trevor Hebberd, what a player!! Came in as a striker but quickly became one of the best attacking midfielders in the country. Had he played for a fashionable club he would have played for England when he was at his peak.
Nickname Nijinsky, just never stopped running!!

It’s not the right date , but some Easter memories , good Friday games at home against Birmingham city , huge crowds, seeing the wonder kid Trevor Francis, Nigel Cassidy scoring the winning goal in one game , packed like sardines in the cuckoo lane end ,Easter 73 was spent in Leeds with grandparents, dad and his brothers went to Elland rd to see Leeds getting turned over by Burnley, I being above first division football went on a cheap day return to middlesborough to see the mighty yellows in action, middlesborough were running away with the league, despite a heroic display from Roy burton we lost 1-0

awful trip back to Leeds , missed the correct connection and had to wait 90 minutes in Darlington in the freezing cold for a train , some journeys leave a lasting impression!
And you would do it.....all....over....again!!

ON THIS DAY : Wednesday 4th April 1973

United beat AS Roma 2-0 in the Stadio Olimpico thanks to a brace from striker Hugh Curran in an Anglo-Italian cup tie.
Newcastle United go on to win the tournament - beating Fiorentina in the final in Florence.

U’s : Burton - Lucas Roberts C.Clarke Lowe Shuker - Evanson Fleming Gough - Curran D.Clarke
Sub : Bray

Att: 4,653

D3Y8GHSX4AAyvQW

Last edited:
Painful memory that game. We played so bad for the 1st 70 mins. It was so frustrating. Cov wern't even a good team that day either.

Meh.

I was on a stag do in Benidorm with some Cov. lads. It was a tough day. Sort of.

ON THIS DAY : Wednesday 4th April 1973

United beat AS Roma 2-0 in the Stadio Olimpico thanks to a brace from striker Hugh Curran in an Anglo-Italian cup tie.
Newcastle United go on to win the tournament - beating Fiorentina in the final in Florence.

U’s : Burton - Lucas Roberts C.Clarke Lowe Shuker - Evanson Fleming Gough - Curran D.Clarke
Sub : Bray

Att: 4,653

D3Y8GHSX4AAyvQW
It was played in the afternoon.
We did well in that tournement. Won 2 drew 2. After drawing 0-0 in Bologna, 3 days later we beat Swindon 3-1 at the county ground for our first ever win there. Happy days!!

ON THIS DAY : Wednesday April 7th 1982

The British fleet is on route to the Falkland Islands but meanwhile United destroy their relegation threatened near neighbours
Swindon Town 5-0 in a Manor Ground massacre. Goals from David Fogg, Mal Shotton, George Lawrence, Peter Foley and
Andy Thomas give the U’s their first win over their bitter rivals since 1973.

Sub: Thomas.

Att:7,354

DDwXDwQXkAAEBrS

Back
Top Bottom